“Your Day In The Canal” North and South bound versions.

Oxenford

Richard - have you considered or will you consider negotiating with Amazon to publish your books as E books suitable for Kindle? I will certainly buy them for our transit in 2011 but would prefer an E Book version. Thanks

Richard - have you considered or will you consider negotiating with Amazon to publish your books as E books suitable for Kindle? I will certainly buy them for our transit in 2011 but would prefer an E Book version. Thanks

Trying to finish converting to HTML . . . Happy Holidays! Regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a copy of "your day in the Panama Canal" from Amazon.com and loved the book. I started reading, thinking it was going to be dry and boring but wanted to learn something about the canal before cruising Jan 16th. Well!! did I get a pleasant surpise, the book was wonderful and I couldn't stop reading it. I loved the discription of the travel thru the canal but I also enjoyed the interesting history and facts that I wasn't aware of. Thanks again for a great read and it's packed to go with me this sunday!!!!

I bought a copy of "your day in the Panama Canal" from Amazon.com and loved the book. I started reading, thinking it was going to be dry and boring but wanted to learn something about the canal before cruising Jan 16th. Well!! did I get a pleasant surpise, the book was wonderful and I couldn't stop reading it. I loved the discription of the travel thru the canal but I also enjoyed the interesting history and facts that I wasn't aware of. Thanks again for a great read and it's packed to go with me this sunday!!!!

I'm just trying to figure out what excursions to take on our Panama Canal cruise. Do you mind sharing with me what excursions you will be taking at what ports? Thank you.

Tikibird, Keep chirping outside my window! As soon as I leave on the PACIFIC world cruise at the top of my "to do list" (unrelated to work) is to figure out how to covert MS to HTLM for Kindle. Regards, Richard

Richard,

Here are a couple of tutorials:

http://kindleformatting.com/formatting.php

http://www.newselfpublishing.com/WordKindle.html

I also really like this book. See Book Review - Your Day in the Panama Canal

Tikibird, Keep chirping outside my window! As soon as I leave on the PACIFIC world cruise at the top of my "to do list" (unrelated to work) is to figure out how to covert MS to HTLM for Kindle. Regards, Richard

Chirp chirp! I don't have a Kindle, what I was looking for is a pdf I can read on my laptop. Have you seen the Lonely Planet downloadable chapters? Those are in pdf form.

figure out how to covert MS to HTLM for Kindle. Regards, Richard
If you have a Kindle (or any version of the Kindle reader), it's as easy as mailing the MS Word document to your kindle.com email address. I did this with another guide that was published in MS Word format and it all converted fine, including hyperlinks and table of contents links. There were some minor glitches in how photos appeared but it was simple to reformat the document to correct that.

• 1 month later...

Richard is presently working a 6-month stint on the Pacific Princess World Cruise as a Gentlemen Dance Host.

Okay I'm just kidding on the Dance Host part. He is actually working as a port lecturer. See the itinerary on his blog: Home For Half The Year

Due to the limitations of shipboard Internet access, Richard is not on Cruise Critic, but he is updating his blog.

I you want to communicate with Richards, leave a comment on his blog. You can also read about his World Cruise adventures. See http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/

By the way, if I were on a World Cruise, I certainly wouldn't be spending any time converting a book to HTML/Kindle format. There is way too much to see and do to spend the time in front of a computer screen.

• 4 months later...

Just bought my Cruising The Panama Canal by RD on Kindle last week. Great book, especially for those who don't want to struggle thru Path Between the Seas. I loved PBTS but found RD's book much more practical for those who want some background to appreciate the grand project and a description of what you will see and at what time as you travel thru the canal. Unfortunately, our cruise does not stop in Panama. RD's book even describes the excursions you could take at various stops in Panama. The only thing I still am trying to find is when the time changes will be as we travel from LA thru the canal and into FLL. Thank you RD and for those who recommended the book.

Bill

Thank you both for the nice comments about CRUISING THE PANAMA CANAL! Hope you both have great cruises! Wish I could keep track of time changes - I just bleary eyed follow the drill. On the world cruises there are a lot, but if you are going Westbound from the US it doesn't seem as bad as coming Eastbound. I prefer getting an extra hour of sleep to losing it! But it sure beats flying! Regards, Richard

• 4 weeks later...

I had intended to buy a paper copy (no kindle or nook here) and realized that it slipped my mind. Now I can't find it on the two major on-line retailers except for a crazy price. :eek: did I blow it? I'd prefer a northbound copy but would take a southbound copy and read it backwards.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a paper copy of the book a couple of weeks ago. Go to Richards website to find out how. I paid $24. Well worth it. He has restructured the book and it is now both books in one. New title "Cruising the Panama Canal".

Archived