“Your Day In The Canal” North and South bound versions.

Oxenford

I just purchased the book on Kindle for about $10.00. Having read about 3 chapters I can tell you that it is well worth the price in hardback or Kindle. I just wish that Richard would be on our cruise with Princess on Nov. 19th. Thanks, Richard, for such great information.

I'm trying to get through "Panama Fever: The Epic Struggle of the Building of the Canal." Thank heavens I found this thread. I'm going to download your book and enjoy the read as I plough through the remaining 200 pages of the other one. It's loaded with fascinating history, but dry as dust.

I've had read Panama Fever and Path Between the Seas by David McCulloughhttp://www.amazon.com/NOVA-Man-Plan-Canal-Panama/dp/B0002F6AJ8 both great books but yes, can be on the dry side. If you would like to "cheat" a little, Look for the DVD A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama. This is a video hosted by McCullough originally for PBS's Nova and really concentrates on the construction of the Canal with a mix of archival footage and scenes of the Canal much as it is today. Amazon has it in stock.... http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-Man-Plan-Canal-Panama/dp/B0002F6AJ8

The American Experience, Panama Canal, which you can find as a link on that Amazon page is a very recent presentation of PBS and very good as well.

I forgot to mentioned I also purchased Richard in Panama's book. I purchased the Southbound version before he combined the two books into the new "Cruising The Panama Canal." I think you would find this an excellent compendium to anything you are reading as well as the narration you will receive aboard the ship.

I had intended to buy a paper copy (no kindle or nook here) and realized that it slipped my mind. Now I can't find it on the two major on-line retailers except for a crazy price. :eek: did I blow it? I'd prefer a northbound copy but would take a southbound copy and read it backwards.

I have just bought it through Amazon UK but shipped from the US very quickly. A very readable book, bought the Passage Between The Seas earlier for my DH but way too heavy for me. This is much better and North/South - South/North both in one book. Excellent.

Archived