Have an Offer for $549pp on Celebrity, Opinions Needed

tbennett

Hi there, I am Todd and have three cruises under my belt. I guess that makes me a novice, and my Wife and I have done one each on Carnival and Royal and one with my in laws on the Legend. There is just nothing like a cruise. My question regards the Eclipse, I have an offer for $549pp with prepaid gratuities but I am concerned about, one, pace. Will I be bored? Will there be a retirement feeling to the passengers? Will I enjoy the food? Been doing some research, but while the rate sounds good, throw in flight and excursions and still looking at significant investment. Just want to be set on something. Also have an offer for the Carnival Triumph out of NOLA for $439pp which is attractive because we can drive from STL and get to the port. Flights are not my most favorite thing.

Any help appreciated and Happy Holidays, thank you.

We loved the Eclipse! Food was pretty good, specialty food was outstanding! I thought there were lots of younger people (30's & 40's) on our cruise, but there werelots of elderly folks too. Didin't make a difference to us, we weren't on the cruise for the other passengers :). There were lots of activities going on onboard. I'd go on it again in a heartbeat.

What type of room is the offer on?

Celebrity is for sure different than Carnival. Not near as active of nightlife with maybe the exception of the Martini Bar. It all depends what you like. While there are all ages, it tends to gravitate towards the older crowd. I am in my 30s and husband just turned 40. We prefer the more mature experience compared to the party 24/7 mindset of Carnival. Not that there's anything wrong with that if that's what you like, it's just not for us.

I think the food is better on Celebrity, but still really good on Carnival as well. I guess you will have to decide what is important and make a decision based on what types of activities you want to do. No hairy chest contests, etc on Celebrity. Oh yeah, and no smoking in cabins/balconies/public places. Just designated areas. Big bonus in my opinion.

I haven't had a bad cruise yet. Good luck in picking your vacation!

Carnival has hit and miss service, though, mostly hit. The offer is for an inside sr but this thing has 32 incl lcd and free in room movies. A Plus if the clubs shut down. Went on Freedom did not like it. Honestly felt like the thing was too much of a mall and amusement park. Entertainment was great, met and hung out with the Monkees Micky Dolenz and he bought my drinks all night despite my protestations to not take advantage of his generosity. Great, straight forward guy. Food in MDR of Freedom was good to great, buffet was awful. I guess it seems like some lines do some things great and others poorly, but Carnival does nothing great, but most everything pretty good. Does that make sense? The much lamented Celebrity snobbishness is concern, though from my perspective this is unconfirmed as I have not voyaged with them.

True, the LCD TVs are nice on the Eclipse. And the movies were decent 2 weeks ago.

I have never been in an inside room, so I can't comment on those. It seems like a pretty good deal I guess. Just add up all of your expenses and let that help make your decision.

After being on 3 Carnival Cruises, and 3 Celebrity Cruises, I will agree that nothing is perfect, but I still love to cruise. I have not experienced any "snobbishness" on Celebrity, but there is an air of sophistication about the ship and passengers. Like no shorts in the Main Dining Room for one. The buffet on Celebrity is really good. It is set up in stations as opposed to the cafeteria line like Carnival. A great selection.

I wish I could give you more advice. If you have any specific questions, ask and I'll do my best to answer. I guess it can be summed up like this: If you want to stay up and party or dance all night, go Carnival. Relax and have peace and quiet with a little to do here and there at night, go Celebrity. It's just a matter of personal preference.

like to claim popular opinion for lack of their own effort to research. Popular opinion is often mythological. I think Celebrity has quite nice passengers in all likelihood, as does Carnival for the most part. One thing I would like to point out is that Carnival in my experience is not filled with trash or thugs at all. Sure they may be a few unseemlies but any large group of people will have that. Most people I meet are professionals, and very classy. See Royal left me flat. Just blah. Everything was so low energy, sorta fun, but the atmosphere was dull.

Carnival is fun, but I am looking for better food. Actually, different food. Every boat is the same exact food. Entertainment is very important. However, we really are not a certain type. We like Vegas, and we enjoy Branson, yet depending on our state of mind, we might want the arts of Chicago or the kitsch of the Dells. So kind of hard to tell, and we know us. All that aside, for me i lean Triumph because of the no flight thing. Very concerned about flight in Winter, but Celebrity strikes me as a good deal. And amenities look great. Does Celebrity have late night comedians perform?

Yes, they had an adult comedian at midnight. My Sister and MIL went to see him. They said he was OK. He played the same show one or two additional nights too.

I actually preferred Carnival's shows, but I like Celebrity's food (with the exception of no Chocolate Melting Cake).

Everything is so subjective, so take it with a grain of salt. I have never been on Royal Caribbean, but from what I have heard, it is more of an "active" Cruise Line as opposed to Celebrity. They are owned by the same company.

I tend to agree with you on the no flight thing. We have driven the last 2 times to Florida from Virginia. Quite a haul, but not too bad. It beats dealing with the airlines in my opinion.

I think you would enjoy the Eclipse and it may pleasantly surprise you. We have been on the S-Class Ships 3 times now and haven't done all the things there are to do. Like I still haven't seen the Hot Glass Show! We are always busy doing something although we tend to keep to ourselves and don't participate in group activities. Our favorite places are the Martini Bar and Molecular Bar. Believe it or not, we're not big drinkers, just enjoy the entertainment and company. The lawn is nice too. LOVE the big cushy loungers up there!

Tough decision!!

some, we are quite paradoxical people. We enjoy first rate entertainment, but would opt for a 3 star with breakfast over a 5 star hotel with upcharges for everything, as luxury to us is convenience, not just atmosphere. We prefer balcony seating for views and and hole in the wall ethnic to elegant. We are food lovers, but not foodies. We enjoy taste more than presentation, and folksy more than formal. We like Jersey Boys more than Blue Man Group, and Beatles more than Stones. We like some drinks and some wine, but rarely discern or care. We are old fashioned liberal, (women and children and poor,) but request effort made for assistance and care little for social issue soap boxes on either side. Can't stand discussions about environment, and have little tolerance for antismokeys. Yet, quit smoking long ago. Summing it up we love a little, like a lot, and despise hardly anything. We are respectful, tolerant people who don't rely on our education for impressing or to intimidate. We are just people. We are into fun, not cocktail parties. So that being said, can we fit on Celebrity?

Hi there, I am Todd and have three cruises under my belt. I guess that makes me a novice, and my Wife and I have done one each on Carnival and Royal and one with my in laws on the Legend. There is just nothing like a cruise. My question regards the Eclipse, I have an offer for $549pp with prepaid gratuities but I am concerned about, one, pace. Will I be bored? Will there be a retirement feeling to the passengers? Will I enjoy the food? Been doing some research, but while the rate sounds good, throw in flight and excursions and still looking at significant investment. Just want to be set on something. Also have an offer for the Carnival Triumph out of NOLA for $439pp which is attractive because we can drive from STL and get to the port. Flights are not my most favorite thing.

Any help appreciated and Happy Holidays, thank you.

I think it is difficult for strangers who do not know you or your interests, likes and dislikes to give you advice as to whether or not you would be bored or enjoy the food on the Eclipse. We are all different.

For example, I would never consider taking a cruise that required driving from STL to NOLA. To me, that would be an extremely boring waste of time. I would much rather hop on a plane in the morning and be there before lunch time.

Most of us who cruise with Celebrity appreciate the serene, laid back atmosphere, the restricted smoking policy, and the wonderful, friendly, attentive service. They do not bombard you with annoying announcements all day long the way they do on some other cruise lines.

But if you are looking for more of a party boat or amusement park atmosphere, then you may be happier looking elsewhere.

My suggestion would be to read through the reviews written by previous Eclipse passengers and draw your own conclusions.

Happy Holidays to you and best wishes for finding a cruise that is right for you, whichever cruise line you choose.

Thank you for your input Happy Holidays to you as well. I appreciate the sentiment of not wanting to be around smoke and believe strongly in designating areas. However, among non smokers a certain type of elitism is being noticed and it is more the condescension I want to avoid, rather than the policies.

some, we are quite paradoxical people. We enjoy first rate entertainment, but would opt for a 3 star with breakfast over a 5 star hotel with upcharges for everything, as luxury to us is convenience, not just atmosphere. We prefer balcony seating for views and and hole in the wall ethnic to elegant. We are food lovers, but not foodies. We enjoy taste more than presentation, and folksy more than formal. We like Jersey Boys more than Blue Man Group, and Beatles more than Stones. We like some drinks and some wine, but rarely discern or care. We are old fashioned liberal, (women and children and poor,) but request effort made for assistance and care little for social issue soap boxes on either side. Can't stand discussions about environment, and have little tolerance for antismokeys. Yet, quit smoking long ago. Summing it up we love a little, like a lot, and despise hardly anything. We are respectful, tolerant people who don't rely on our education for impressing or to intimidate. We are just people. We are into fun, not cocktail parties. So that being said, can we fit on Celebrity?

I think Celebrity has something to offer everyone, but it seems like maybe you are leaning towards Carnival a little bit? It's a tough call. Perhaps sticking with the familiar maybe more comfortable. And then you have the whole to/from issue as well. I hope you do try Celebrity at some point. Especially the S-Class ships. But be forewarned - you may never go back to Carnival like us :D.

Well, here's what I can offer you on the subject - my opinion! ;-)

I'm a 31 year executive that has, and will continue to, work my tail off to get where I am. My vacations are very special to me since I only get a few weeks a year to have them. I travel 100% for work now and only get to come home to my house 4-6 days a month. I, too, am a bit of a study in contradictions. I'm very type A business person while working, but completely laid back and go with the flow outside of work.

All of that said, I LOVE Celebrity. I have cruised quite a bit and just happened to find the 11.27 Eclipse cruise when trying to make a last minute family vacation get together. We all agreed (30, 31, 50, and 54) that Celebrity is now our favorite line as there was always something for everyone. I was up at the night club just about every night - and one night we stayed out until the sun came up! By day I relaxed, enjoyed the ports, enjoyed the food, etc. I had the premium beverage package and it was fantastic.

I am booked again on the Eclipse for February 12, 2011 and absolutely cannot wait! Good luck in making your decision.

struggling with the flight situation. Not only is it expensive, but an extreme hassle and I don't know when airlines started becoming so repulsive but my guess it starts with b and ends in ailout. For what they are charging and wanting to send me on goofy connections and whatnot, it is beyond aggravating. So Celebrity may not happen, which is sad because probably a step up in quality.

Archived