Just Back from Jewel 12/19-12/26

mamagina

I will post a review soon. We were in balcony room 9044, fore, starboard side (actually our family--10-- was in three balcony rooms 9040, 9042, 9044, inside 9049 and outside/obstructed 8050) so we opened up all the dividers and had a nice long balcony). We went to Universal/ Islands of Adventure--rode the Harry Potter ride (ship's excursion), got to Great Stirrup Key on the first tender, and visited the Atlantis, the public beach in Paradise Island and shopped in Nassau all on our own--all thanks to tips found on this board. We only ate in the regular dining rooms (party of 10--they allowed us to reserve ahead of time) and we had a great time! Ask questions and I'll try to answer. More details to come.

I will post a review soon. We were in balcony room 9044, fore, starboard side (actually our family--10-- was in three balcony rooms 9040, 9042, 9044, inside 9049 and outside/obstructed 8050) so we opened up all the dividers and had a nice long balcony). We went to Universal/ Islands of Adventure--rode the Harry Potter ride (ship's excursion), got to Great Stirrup Key on the first tender, and visited the Atlantis, the public beach in Paradise Island and shopped in Nassau all on our own--all thanks to tips found on this board. We only ate in the regular dining rooms (party of 10--they allowed us to reserve ahead of time) and we had a great time! Ask questions and I'll try to answer. More details to come.

Can you tell me who the cruise director was?

thanks so much,

We were not affected by the storm at all--the last night sailing was the smoothest of the cruise ("wavelets" I love that word, .5-1.5 ft.) We were off the ship by 9:20 (carried our own luggage). We parked at an indoor lot on 10th ave--$112. My husband walked over and got the car and we met him on the Northeast corner of 12th Avenue across from the pier. We live in NJ about 26 miles west of the city and we were in our driveway before the first flakes fell, about 11:00am. It was easy to get off the ship. There was a slight delay going through customs; it took about 1/2 hour. There were only three windows open for US citizens probably because there were many Canadians on board this week. Had we realized that the line was moving so slowly we would have grabbed a porter--they seem to go to the front of the line.

Thank you for your mini review so far :)

I was wondering if you felt that you had plenty of time to do Harry Potter. It seems like there should be but it would be nice to hear from someone who had done it. HP is really the only must see/do for us. Also curious about your trip to Atlantis. Ncl cautioning us that it could sell out because we are going during spring break. Did you have to buy a pass or can anyone just use the beach? Or can you just walk through resort & use public beach?

Looking forward to your full review! Thanks,

We were not affected by the storm at all--the last night sailing was the smoothest of the cruise ("wavelets" I love that word, .5-1.5 ft.) We were off the ship by 9:20 (carried our own luggage). We parked at an indoor lot on 10th ave--$112. My husband walked over and got the car and we met him on the Northeast corner of 12th Avenue across from the pier. We live in NJ about 26 miles west of the city and we were in our driveway before the first flakes fell, about 11:00am. It was easy to get off the ship. There was a slight delay going through customs; it took about 1/2 hour. There were only three windows open for US citizens probably because there were many Canadians on board this week. Had we realized that the line was moving so slowly we would have grabbed a porter--they seem to go to the front of the line.

mamagina,

Can you give more info on the 10th ave parking lot operator etc. - Interested! I'm only familiar with the cruise terminal long term parking . . .

Thanks!

We are going in April--same cruise so I was interested to read your blog. Glad you had a good time. Do you feel you had enough time on the excursion to universal? We want to see Harry Potter also. How much time did you have in the park itself? How long was the bus ride each way? We are travleing with 6 grandchildren ages 8-13.

We were told no reservations in the main dining room--so you added another plus.

I was also on the cruse from the 19th to the 26th in stateroom 9051. We also did the Universal Excursion for Harry Potter. We got there at like 2 pm then to get into harry potter, YOU HAVE TO GET A TICKET WHEN YOU GET THERE GIVING YOU A TIME TO ENTER HP WORLD. They give you a time when you can go inside, we did not get to go inside until 5 pm so ask a Excursion specialty person about this or call Universal about this. But the white hot part was SO AMAZING missing it a lot. Definitely worth ever penny.

I was also on the cruse from the 19th to the 26th in stateroom 9051. We also did the Universal Excursion for Harry Potter. We got there at like 2 pm then to get into harry potter, YOU HAVE TO GET A TICKET WHEN YOU GET THERE GIVING YOU A TIME TO ENTER HP WORLD. They give you a time when you can go inside, we did not get to go inside until 5 pm so ask a Excursion specialty person about this or call Universal about this. But the white hot part was SO AMAZING missing it a lot. Definitely worth ever penny.

Oh my gosh, this does NOT sound good at all. All that we are interested in is exploring all of Harry Potter & the excursion is NOT inexpensive. I don't see how NCL could have control over this! While we are not going during Christmas, I would imagine Spring Break before Easter in April will be busy.

Hello, we're going on the Jewel at the end of March, and our cabin is the inside 9049 that your group had. Could you tell me, was the 3rd bed above or below the regular bed? We have a 2.5 year old, and are trying to decide between a pack and play or a bed. We'll only consider the bed if it's on the floor. He sleeps in a crib at home. TIA!!

Archived