Southampton to London to Dublin

bob-a

Help,

We sail into Southampton on 21 May, and will take 2 days in London before flying over to Dublin on 23 May. From studying the boards, looks like we should train or bus into Victoria, stay in that area for Sat and Sun before flying from Gatwick (probably on Aer Lingus) to Dublin.

Need recommendations for best travel to Victoria, not too expensive place to stay for 2 nights, and how best to get 2 people to Gatwick for a mid-morning flight (w 1 large and 1 small bag ea.).

Since we just have 1 full day (Sun), I think we'll use HO-HO bus to get around. Thoughts, advice, suggestions please!

BTW, after a week+ in Ireland, we'll fly (Flybe) from Dublin back to Southampton to sail back to US - :DAnd yes, it's our first time in UK and Eire.

Can't help you with your hotel choice, but yes Victoria is considered best compromise between cost & proximity to the sights, & has very good transport links.

By bus (coach) to Victoria you have 2 choices, www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx (from Southampton coach station, Harbour Parade spur) or www.greyhounduk.com/ (from Southampton Town Quay). Pick-up points are equally convenient, and Greyhound's service is to bus stops close to National Express' coach station in Victoria. Service & price are similar, both offer occasional pre-booked "fun fares" on this route.

Or by train, to Victoria you have 2 choices:

- the slow & circuitous route which goes east along the south coast, then north via Gatwick. You do not need to change trains, I think the service is hourly.

- the more direct route on the London (Waterloo) line, but changing trains at Clapham Junction for Victoria. This service is half-hourly. But Clapham Junction is not passenger-friendly, esp with luggage.

- best train option is that half-hourly service from Southampton, but stay on the train to its terminus at London (Waterloo), On this route you can get cut-price megatrain tickets www.southwesttrains.co.uk/megatrainbudget.aspx Then a 2-mile taxi ride to your hotel in Victoria - the route will take you over Westminster Bridge & via the Houses of Parliament (Big Ben) & Westminster Abbey.

Hoho bus makes sense, choose between the Original or Big Bus companies after you've booked a hotel, in case one offers a route past your hotel

For Victoria to Gatwick the options are

coach - Nat Express coaches

train - www.gatwickexpress.com/index.asp?SID={8D55F7E0-18EA-4FFF-B67B-1177A

From Southampton airport, you have a choice of

- train. The airport terminal is just 100 yards from Southampton (Parkway) station, which is on the Southampton to London (Waterloo) line, with a 1/2 hourly or better service to Southampton (central) station, then a short £5 to £8 taxi hop to any cruise terminal.

- taxi from airport to pier, about £18

There is no sensible bus option.

From memory, there's a decent shuttlebus service between Dublin airport & O'Connell Street in the city centre.

John Bull

Thanks John:),

Precisely what I need to know. Just 2 other questions if I might impose - How long should we expect it to take to Gatwick (and to Heathrow) on a Monday morning (23 May to be exact). And would you have any rcommendation(s) for hotels (3* range) in the Victoria area?

Bob A

Thanks John:),

Precisely what I need to know. Just 2 other questions if I might impose - How long should we expect it to take to Gatwick (and to Heathrow) on a Monday morning (23 May to be exact). And would you have any rcommendation(s) for hotels (3* range) in the Victoria area?

Bob A

Hi Bob,

Gatwick Express takes 30 mins & runs every 15 mins from Victoria. Regular trains from Victoria take just a few minutes longer, I think they're cheaper but are not so frequent. You don't need to change trains.

ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/timetable/times

But timetables/tickets are only available from 3 months out.

Coach takes 1 hr 20 mins from Victoria, & its a tortuous journey.

Heathrow Express runs from Paddington station, about 2 miles from Victoria, & takes 20 mins.

Coach from Victoria takes about 40 mins.

Tube runs from South Kensington, I guess takes about 30 mins. Not ideal with luggage www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

Allow extra time to get to your terminal

All the info is on the web links.

Sorry, can't help with hotels, but check out HandfordR's recent response to "hotel finder - London" on this board, an excellent precis of the chains. I keep seeing Luna & Simone hotel recommended on this board, but there are also many other small independents.

When researching hotels, I use www.booking.com. They list a whole lot of hotels and lots of info, maps, photos & reviews. Having selected a hotel, I then search for a better price

JB

I take the regular train from Gatwick, and it does run fairly frequently. :) Cheap.

I've taken National Express London/Southampton. Keep an eye on specials, very frequent. I've never paid the regular prices. In Oct. used them for Dover- which is farther, at 13 pounds for 2, about $20US.

I fly Flybe and Easyjet, which I've also used to Dublin. There is a cheap airport bus that goes right through Dublin for about 4 euros.

I checked the other website you mentioned, John, and have a lot of info about hotels to wade thru now.

I started checking available flights/flight times to Dublin and find just one morning flight from LCY - so altho City Airport would probably be the closest & fastest to get to, don't think I'll chance it.

Both Heathrow & Gatwick have multiple flight choices, but from the stories I hear about Heathrow, I'm strongly inclined to go to Gatwick, even tho we're flying w/in the EU and not international. Going down by train seems best, even with a large and a carry-on bag apiece. Do you agree with my thinking, or am I being overcautious about HRW??

Thanks for all your assistance - it makes travelling soo much easier.

I checked the other website you mentioned, John, and have a lot of info about hotels to wade thru now.

I started checking available flights/flight times to Dublin and find just one morning flight from LCY - so altho City Airport would probably be the closest & fastest to get to, don't think I'll chance it.

Both Heathrow & Gatwick have multiple flight choices, but from the stories I hear about Heathrow, I'm strongly inclined to go to Gatwick, even tho we're flying w/in the EU and not international. Going down by train seems best, even with a large and a carry-on bag apiece. Do you agree with my thinking, or am I being overcautious about HRW??

Thanks for all your assistance - it makes travelling soo much easier.

From central London (near Victoria), the train to Gatwick is simple simple simple; direct and non-stop London Victoria to Gatwick. At the platform at Gatwick, elevator up, and you're in the terminal building.

But yes, you're way overly cautious about LHR (not HRW); it's a fine airport. Let's remember they just had a once in 50 years type snow event. Trains direct to Heathrow leave from London's PADDINGTON station, or alternately you can even take the Picadilly Line on the subway (by far the cheapest)

Archived