Regarding Trojan virus

tropical.dreams

Obviously they had a way in and they got a virus and passed it along.. sorry to hear those that got it.. but again I will say NO CLICKING just read the threads.. ;)

I clicked nothing but the threads to read in the forum and I had 4 attacks on my computer.

Luckily my Norton 360 stopped them.

Bill

"Please, this should serve as a wakeup call to those of you who have let their anti-virus program updates lapse (and to those of you who do not have an anti-virus program installed)! This is an EXCELLENT time to update your virus protection programs. If you don't have one installed, get one now. "

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this statement. It casts no blame on anyone it merely reminds people to be vigilant.

Despite the ignorant statement made earlier it may be time for some of you to consider a Mac.

I think you're missing the OP's point (purposely?). The message implies that CC users weren't keeping their virus databases and tools up-to-date. In fact, many of us are.

"This incident clearly epitomizes the need for having your anti-virus software running and up to date".

I perceive this quote from Laura as stating that this is clearly my fault and cruise critic has zero responsibility.

I understand that this can happen. I hold no grudge against cruise critic for this happening. I do begrudge cruise critic for their apparent arrogant attitude of laying 100% of the blame on the users.

While all users can help protect themselves from something like this from happening, CC can help also.

Is it CC's responsibility to teach its members how to use computers? How to avoid viruses? I think not.

I'm sorry OP had to spend $ to fix this, but as other posters have noted, there are sometimes other ways. I'm not sure CC bears any blame here.

Thank heavens for CC friends that told me how to do system restore!!!

I was on my phone for two days while this computer lay, suffering, and in pain, an innocent attacked by a virus... from my protection not being good enough!!!

HEY WHAT ABOUT THEIR PROTECTION FROM WHAT WAS SLIPPED INTO THEIR PROGRAMS!!!

I, too, read the CC statement. I would have liked a "So Sorry..." But they did give us the facts and preventions... I guess that's they're only responsibility...

But would "I'm so sorry this happened to any of our CC family" been so hard to say or improper???

Instead... we get... "You may remember..." and "This should serve to..." and "if you don't have one now, get one installed"

It's a business to them, not a family. Not a chat room. Not friendships... Just a business...

I love CC -- obviously -- and am glad it didn't take them down...

Wow, is CC now our mommy, tucking us into bed at night after making sure we had our milk and cookies? Good grief!

Of COURSE CC is a business! If there's "family" here, it's on the (message) boards, not in the (CC) board room. This is what family does, among other things - helps its members fix their computers.

All CC did was give good, straightforward advice - are we really too thin-skinned to accept it as such and not moan because we didn't get an "apology"?

Macs are not invulnerable to viruses but there are less for a MAC. And you always use antivirus etc on a Mac too. Because there are less viruses made for MAC and less vulnerability I suggest people who do not want to fuss with computer stuff get a Mac. Or maybe run Linux.

I am a PC Tech. and this kind of stuff makes me money but it is something that can be fixed by the user you guys seem to have handled it ok you used the same stuff I use so if you have any questions ask.

Also BACK UP YOUR FILES Burn Cd's with all of your cherished cruise photo's.

Use an online backup service it is automatic I would suggest Dropbox it has a lot of nice features including a public folder that you can generate a URL to share files, they give you 2Gb free and that is quite a bit. you can also buy extra space. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY4MjMwMjQ5?src=global0

That is my referral link if you sign up through it I get some extra free space or you can go directly to dropbox.com if you don't like me.

Instead of:

"This incident clearly epitomizes the need for having your anti-virus software running and up to date. Those of you who did now realize how well it worked for you last night."

It should read:

This incident clearly epitomizes the need for having Cruise Critic evaluate their process for receiving and putting up ads without some kind of better security evaluation.[/quote]

You do have a good point here .;)

Dropbox is Free everyone and it is great. I use it all the time at the house and it is great for file sharing too.

I just set dropbox up a couple of days ago so that I have everything easily accessible on my ipad, especially my photo's without giving up valuable ipad space.

Archived