Regarding Trojan virus

tropical.dreams

I'm on my phone reading this, because I apparently got this virus on Christmas Day, so it's hard to read and figure out where to post this or who to tell. Sorry in advance, but hopefully the message will get to the right person. As far as the announcement sticky, I wanted to let Laura and the head honchos know that I personally was a tad bit offended at the wording of the announcement, and the lack of ability to reply. I just purchased mcafee virus protection in September, AND routinely run MalwareBytes, in addition to my Windows security, but this virus gets around everything, and prevents you from accessing any antivirus removal tools or downloading new ones. I spent the better part of 3 days trying to fix it, only to eventually give up and spend $165 to take my computer to the shop. So this virus didn't just hit the "lazy people who don't update their virus protection" as the announcement implied. I'm very disappointed that a place I considered safe is not, and that I had to spend $165 to fix a problem that never should have happened, only to have the board leaders brush it off with a, "Well, it's your problem!"

Very disappointed.

it is not this sites fault that there is a zero day windows vulnerability. CNN, MSNBC, and new york times have been hit by these type of viruses over the years. You need to back up everything and be overly careful.

OP - sorry you had to spend money to get rid of this virus. Not everyone on CC is computer savvy but we don't mind sharing info (good and bad). Fire is right, the info on the other thread had some great suggestions and may have saved you a trip to the computer doctor.

Isn't CC great?

I couldn't run my wireless in safe mode, and had an issue with getting plugged in. And when I did get to run mcafee and MalwareBytes in safe mode, they both found nothing. This is a nasty virus, very sneaky.

I know that viruses can come from anywhere, but the point of my post was to say that I was offended by the flip and nonchalant attitude displayed in the announcement. Not even a,"We're sorry this happened to you," just a, "too bad, lazy!"

I completely understand what the OP is saying and agree. Laura made a similiar statement on the other thread, and it irritated me as well. I have software up and running and up-to-date, but it did not stop this. Thankfully I recognized what was happening and did not click on anything I shouldn't have. This is the second set of attacks I have experienced while on CC since November. The first round wiped out my work computer (Ugghh) and IT had to ghost it.

Poor choice of words CC.

I know that viruses can come from anywhere, but the point of my post was to say that I was offended by the flip and nonchalant attitude displayed in the announcement. Not even a,"We're sorry this happened to you," just a, "too bad, lazy!"

I understand exactly what you mean.

It wouldn't have taken anything to say "we're sorry this happened. We are taking steps to minimize the rare occurance of this happening to our friends at cruise critic.

In the mean time here are some steps you can take to ensure your computer is up to date.

Again, we apologize".

Instead,,,,, you're all a bunch of lazy arses and you get what you deserve. Even if we do have the latest updates of AV/malware/spyware

I got hit big time but nephew down loaded a program to clear everything up. I have the latest, greatest - Bitdefender - and never had a problem until now. Did not know where I got it until recently. I have learned NEVER EVER click on a link - I will google it if I want to know - NEVER EVER open an email with no subject line and NEVER EVER open email unless I know sender. My friends know to put in subject line with some known to us other wise they are out of luck for me to oepn it.

"Please, this should serve as a wakeup call to those of you who have let their anti-virus program updates lapse (and to those of you who do not have an anti-virus program installed)! This is an EXCELLENT time to update your virus protection programs. If you don't have one installed, get one now. "

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this statement. It casts no blame on anyone it merely reminds people to be vigilant.

Despite the ignorant statement made earlier it may be time for some of you to consider a Mac.

"Please, this should serve as a wakeup call to those of you who have let their anti-virus program updates lapse (and to those of you who do not have an anti-virus program installed)! This is an EXCELLENT time to update your virus protection programs. If you don't have one installed, get one now. "

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this statement. It casts no blame on anyone it merely reminds people to be vigilant.

Despite the ignorant statement made earlier it may be time for some of you to consider a Mac.

I think the OP and others want CC to take the blame and say sorry.

These people got the virus on CC so thats who they blame.

I can understand it .. they are thinking why does CC allow this to happen? Why cant they stop it?

Im perfectly happy with my computer. I have lots of antivirus on my computer, but sometimes things slip thru ..

You talkin' to me? :)

I dont know what you are reading .. but this thread has a ton of good info on starting in safe mode to run mcaffee etc... and other ideas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1326599&highlight=virus

Fire, Thanks so much for reposting this site. I downloaded malwarebytes and they found OVER 500 issues. This is AFTER hubby updaded all anti- virus software a couple months ago! I guess you can't be too careful!:)

You should never be running more than one security product at a time. They are not designed to run together.

Your antivirus software is your LAST line of defense, not your first. First line of defense is having all software fully patched. Next line of defense is your own judgement (never click on a pop up, even if it's the "close" button). Your security software is there if and when 1 and 2 fail...but you should never let 1 and 2 fail.

"This incident clearly epitomizes the need for having your anti-virus software running and up to date".

I perceive this quote from Laura as stating that this is clearly my fault and cruise critic has zero responsibility.

I understand that this can happen. I hold no grudge against cruise critic for this happening. I do begrudge cruise critic for their apparent arrogant attitude of laying 100% of the blame on the users.

While all users can help protect themselves from something like this from happening, CC can help also.

Fire, Thanks so much for reposting this site. I downloaded malwarebytes and they found OVER 500 issues. This is AFTER hubby updaded all anti- virus software a couple months ago! I guess you can't be too careful!:)

really?? 500?? it only found 4, and two were my games, one was a routing I wasnt sure of so I left it too. I only found one I was unsure of.

I respectfully disagree. It tries to put the blame on the patrons of CC. And pushes any responsibility away from themselves. It clearly tells the patrons of CC it is our own fault if we got the virus because we do not keep our programs updated, etc. A previous poster stated what would have been a very appropriate post to this issue.

A couple of MONTHS? Antivirus software definitions must be updated daily, or sometimes several times per day. You should never let your antivirus expire for even an hour, much less 2 months.

Malware bytes treats all cookies as malware (they're not). Some of these programs make you think they're working by flagging issues that are not really security related.

really?? 500?? it only found 4, and two were my games, one was a routing I wasnt sure of so I left it too. I only found one I was unsure of.

I know right, I almost had a heart attack!! :eek:

We're not letting the kids use our computer anymore....lesson learned!! Most, if not all, were game related from their games. While hubby and I know what not to do, apparently our kids need a refresher!!! The refresher starts right darn now!!!

Wow, after reading the announcement I do find it a little offense as well. I did get the virus as well but luckily my DH was able to get it off and fix our computer with no lasting effects. We keep our virus and spyware program up to date (my DH is the computer guy). I too felt the announcement was blaming me for getting it. And CC shouldn't have taken that kind of a position. They could have just stated that they were working on it, they didn't need to insinuate that it was our faults for getting it when obviously a virus can get through virus protection programs (they are built to do exactly that). I'm not blaming CC for getting the virus because they can come from almost any website but I didn't think the insult was necessary either.

A couple of MONTHS? Antivirus software definitions must be updated daily, or sometimes several times per day. You should never let your antivirus expire for even an hour, much less 2 months.

Malware bytes treats all cookies as malware (they're not). Some of these programs make you think they're working by flagging issues that are not really security related.

Thank goodness cc folks have such good info. From now on we will update everytime the computer is used. Thank you so much!!:)

Archived