Regarding Trojan virus

tropical.dreams

I know right, I almost had a heart attack!! :eek:

We're not letting the kids use our computer anymore....lesson learned!! Most, if not all, were game related from their games. While hubby and I know what not to do, apparently our kids need a refresher!!! The refresher starts right darn now!!!

I would leave the games. the program leaves it up to you to delete what you think might be dangerous. I know my games are safe, even if there are thing some programs dont like in them.

Just because it identifies something, doesnt mean it dangerous.

I just read the sticky and I'm annoyed too. My anti-virus software is always up to date and these rogue viruses continue getting in. Several it has caught and others they do not. It's not up to CC to go on a tirade about my anti-virus software. Thanks for the lecture, mom. :mad::rolleyes:

I'm getting to be a pro at removing these though. If I can do it, anyone can do it. If it happens in the future, reboot your computer in safe mode with networking, open up your browser and do a search for "how to remove *virus name here*" and follow the instructions.

Oh and I don't blame CC because they can't control what comes through in an ad that's been hacked, but I don't think it's fair for CC to blanketly blame their users. And yes, I just made up a word.

I got the virus too. My software was updated. Ended up having to pay to have fixed. Now know how to avoid. Don't think CC should suggest users are negligent. According to my computer gurus, this is a tough virus that gets by protection. I may avoid CC but suppose I could catch elsewhere. Much more cautious now.

Prime example of why everyone should dump Internet Explorer and use a safer browser such as Firefox or Chrome with the AdBlock Plus Extension installed.

Everyone? :rolleyes: I'm using IE, and didn't pick it up. Have you seen the other posters who got it using Firefox? :confused:

Also if you run a virus scan and a malware scan and there are issues run it more than once to make sure your computer is clean. Sometimes 2or3 times. It can happen on any browser but IE has more venerability than firefox, chrome, safari. So using a different browser adds another layer of security. Also if you are not good at doing the security and back up stuff a Mac may also be a option. Or just run Linux. Unfortunately there is always a exploit and there is always someone trying to cause mayhem. Sometimes the virus protective and malware and such do not catching because it is a new problem. Just make sure you back up your computer and have all spyware, malware antivirus stuff up to date and hope it is caught. Also if some thing is downloading and you are not sure what to do disconnect the Internet . Ad disconnect the internet to do your restore. It will stop the download at least temp.

You should never be running more than one security product at a time. They are not designed to run together.

Your antivirus software is your LAST line of defense, not your first. First line of defense is having all software fully patched. Next line of defense is your own judgement (never click on a pop up, even if it's the "close" button). Your security software is there if and when 1 and 2 fail...but you should never let 1 and 2 fail.

I disagree 100%. Every computer "genius" (including to IT professors at our local University) that I have consulted highly recomment multiple security products at the same time. Where one fails/lacks the other can compensate.

Also, this particular virus had NOTHING to do with opening anything or clicking on suspicious things, etc. I logged on that day as I always do and went straight to CC which is saved on my favorites page and immediately went to my roll-call, which I have visited hundreds of times, and as soon as I clicked on my roll-call, KA-BAMM!!! This sucker got around StopZilla, Norton and my AOL virus program.

And as others have said, I didn't so much appreciate the snarky response/comments from the CC powers of being. Obviously this WAS a CC problem and a simple apology can go a long way.

Everyone? :rolleyes: I'm using IE, and didn't pick it up. Have you seen the other posters who got it using Firefox? :confused:

I was using Firefox and got it as well within seconds of logging on and going to CC's roll-call board. Sneaky little sucker!

Wow, that was a close one, I woke up this morning and my subscription had just lapsed, I suppose I should remember that Dec 27th is my Renewal date....Thank Goodness it was still active on the 26th.

I went and read that sticky...I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Maybe, she could have said sorry...

But really what she said was more important.

look how many are checking to see if they are up dated...:D

Mine does it Automatically, but not if my subscription lapses...:eek:

Instead of:

"This incident clearly epitomizes the need for having your anti-virus software running and up to date. Those of you who did now realize how well it worked for you last night."

It should read:

This incident clearly epitomizes the need for having Cruise Critic evaluate their process for receiving and putting up ads without some kind of better security evaluation.

Thank heavens for CC friends that told me how to do system restore!!!

I was on my phone for two days while this computer lay, suffering, and in pain, an innocent attacked by a virus... from my protection not being good enough!!!

HEY WHAT ABOUT THEIR PROTECTION FROM WHAT WAS SLIPPED INTO THEIR PROGRAMS!!!

I, too, read the CC statement. I would have liked a "So Sorry..." But they did give us the facts and preventions... I guess that's they're only responsibility...

But would "I'm so sorry this happened to any of our CC family" been so hard to say or improper???

Instead... we get... "You may remember..." and "This should serve to..." and "if you don't have one now, get one installed"

It's a business to them, not a family. Not a chat room. Not friendships... Just a business...

I love CC -- obviously -- and am glad it didn't take them down...

I have learned from past expeiences never to open up a pop up window that even looks remotely authenic. Exit and go to the source, in this case it was meant to look like a window update.

The only person/persons who are at fault are the ones who designed the virus in the first place. Damn shame that they are using their brains to destroy other people property.

I have learned from past expeiences never to open up a pop up window that even looks remotely authenic. Exit and go to the source, in this case it was meant to look like a window update.

The only person/persons who are at fault are the ones who designed the virus in the first place. Damn shame that they are using their brains to destroy other people property.

You'd think... If CC KNOWS virus software that will protect all of us... THEY'd have protection to protect them from being hacked!!!

And if not hacked... then they would KNOW who did it!!!

You'd think... If CC KNOWS virus software that will protect all of us... THEY'd have protection to protect them from being hacked!!!

Obviously they had a way in and they got a virus and passed it along.. sorry to hear those that got it.. but again I will say NO CLICKING just read the threads.. ;)

If the US government can't keep the viruses/trojans out of their systems, I can understand how some sites get them. It is NOT CC's fault.

The CC boards have to rely on the server that they use. Someone from CC does not have servers in their basement and just one person is running this site. And that virus could have come from anywhere including someone's pictures. I wonder how many hits that CC received in that one day and why not ALL were infected that posted?

I had two messages pop up and I am not sure that I was on CC at the time. But I did "X" out of them.

Don't open things that look like they are from Microsoft or can cure any virus because chances are, it is a virus. If you need an update then go directly to your OS site and get them.

I was even getting emails from a friend that died years ago, now who should I blame this on?

OK why not be mad at the real route of the problem. Windows, Windows updates once a week and many times hours after the update another vulnerability is found and they will not update for another week. WIndows is none not to be safe and they can not keep up on all the hacks etc... SO anti virus, Malware etc may not even recognize the latest attach happening. FYI , this is why there are so many attach, there are people in other country's whose job it is, is to sit in a room and try to hack into the government computers and we do pretty well at fighting them off. And when they figure it out they sell the hack to the highest bidder.

I do not understand the joy people getting in putting out viruses to destroy people computers it sounds so wrong.

What I am saying is there is nothing you can do, attach happen and sometimes they get threw. Iternet is user beware. As someone stated before, anyone here could embed code in a pic they upload here to cause problems, be is a virus or even a tracking program.

ALso understand the person that wrote the post was prob a IT or Corporate type guy writing a matter of fact statement instead of a personal one. It sounded like a standard type corp email to me

OK why not be mad at the real route of the problem. Windows, Windows updates once a week and many times hours after the update another vulnerability is found and they will not update for another week. WIndows is none not to be safe and they can not keep up on all the hacks etc... SO anti virus, Malware etc may not even recognize the latest attach happening. FYI , this is why there are so many attach, there are people in other country's whose job it is, is to sit in a room and try to hack into the government computers and we do pretty well at fighting them off. And when they figure it out they sell the hack to the highest bidder.

I do not understand the joy people getting in putting out viruses to destroy people computers it sounds so wrong.

What I am saying is there is nothing you can do, attach happen and sometimes they get threw. Iternet is user beware. As someone stated before, anyone here could embed code in a pic they upload here to cause problems, be is a virus or even a tracking program.

ALso understand the person that wrote the post was prob a IT or Corporate type guy writing a matter of fact statement instead of a personal one. It sounded like a standard type corp email to me

Microsoft patches Windows on the 2nd Tuesday of the Month ("Patch Tuesday"), not weekly.

The virus writers are not out to destroy your computer, they are out to make money. They want to be able to put e-mail servers on your computer so that they can send out spam. They want to be able to put keystroke loggers on your computer so they can capture your credit card number when you type it in. They want to set up a web server on your computer so that they can host illegal web sites. It's all about making money. Windows is the most popular operating system, so they target Windows, because it makes them the most money. The Mac and Linux are less secure, but they are not as big of a target, because they would not make much money attacking those systems.

It's pretty simple to keep viruses off your system. Be sure that Windows Update is set to run every Tuesday evening. Never click on a pop up (even if it's to click on the "close" button). Keep your system fully patched, and all antimalware products current. If they are out of date by even a few hours, they are no good, so you have to keep the subscription active, or use a good free one. Keep your system on as much as possible so that updates will be current.

Microsoft patches Windows on the 2nd Tuesday of the Month ("Patch Tuesday"), not weekly.

The virus writers are not out to destroy your computer, they are out to make money. They want to be able to put e-mail servers on your computer so that they can send out spam. They want to be able to put keystroke loggers on your computer so they can capture your credit card number when you type it in. They want to set up a web server on your computer so that they can host illegal web sites. It's all about making money. Windows is the most popular operating system, so they target Windows, because it makes them the most money. The Mac and Linux are less secure, but they are not as big of a target, because they would not make much money attacking those systems.

It's pretty simple to keep viruses off your system. Be sure that Windows Update is set to run every Tuesday evening. Never click on a pop up (even if it's to click on the "close" button). Keep your system fully patched, and all antimalware products current. If they are out of date by even a few hours, they are no good, so you have to keep the subscription active, or use a good free one. Keep your system on as much as possible so that updates will be current.

My bad I thought it was weekly, And great info on how often to update.

Archived