Gown on formal night?

KarenIA

Hi all! We're are leaving on our first *real* cruise next week. It is a 7 night cruise on RCI. I have been scouring the boards about this whole formal night thing. There is a lot of talk about the guys clothes, but not so much about the ladies. I was kind of under the impression that people really dress up, but now I'm kind of hearing that everything goes. I have bought a really nice formal full-length gown that makes this middle aged mom look like a movie star. (Pluse it was on sale!) Joan and Melissa would definitely give me a golden hanger award. My dh and I have not been alone on a vacation together for more than one night in 10 years! And I want this trip to be unforgettable because it will probably have to last us another 10! Hubby's bought himself a new suit and will look fabuous I'm sure. I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but I don't want there to be pointing and laughing either. Will I look too over the top in a full length gown? Thanks for all your help!

Karen, you will see it all. But you absolutely will NOT be pointed at. It's the people that think "formal night" means, "It's my vacation, how dare you tell me how to dress, so I'm showing up in shorts" that will get pointed at.

I love the aspects of formal night. Wear your lovely gown. I'm sure you will look amazing!

Karen:

You will find females in full length & cocktail length gowns as well as females in dressy pants-style outfits on formal nights.

Personally I prefer to wear dressy full length gowns for one simple reason. When I step out for a night ``on the town'' aboard ship with the man of my life, I dress for his eyes only.

There's just something about the gleam and pride in his eyes that makes the entire evening very special to us - a feeling we know is our own personal memory to be stored in our mental memory book of life's special moments forever.

We like to think of each formal night on a ship as an opportunity to recapture that special feeling of first formal prom nights and wedding ceremonies - memories to remember for a lifetime. :)

Dianne

Between the three females in my group, we will have a combination of short and long fancy dresses. We are trying to gear towards more short dresses this time because we will be taking a train to and from the cruise ship and space is limited. My older daughter likes longer dresses though because she doesn't like her legs.

The past two cruises we all wore long dresses. Long or short fancy dresses. They all look fine.

Hi Karen,

I asked this same question also-we leave next week:D. My story sounds similar to yours we are going on our first cruise, first real vacation just the two of us ever! We are celebrating our 30th anniversay. I am also middle aged and didn't hear much about long gowns. All the respones I got said go for it. I am looking forward to getting all dressed up!

I love formal nights! I don't know about all you ladies but part of the thrill for me is shopping for the beautiful gown and all the stuff that goes along with it. I have been on 3 cruises and am doing my 4th in May on the Monarch. Before every cruise I shop and buy a dress for formal night telling myself that the money is worth it sense I can wear it on the next cruise.....I have yet to wear the same dress twice.

Lori...St. Louis

Wear the gown and feel beautiful. I love to dress up and look forward to formal nights on cruises the most. I dress up for every dinner in the dinning room but more so on formal nights. I am just the type that loves to dress up. Anway, don't worry, there will be plenty of other people dressed up and then you will have a few that don't. Enjoy your cruise!

Rebecca

I have been on 30 cruises and have seen everything! From slacks to ball gowns. I prefer a short cocktail dress because it is easier to pack 3 of them. However you will not out of place. if you feel specisal that is all that counts. have fun!

I want to thank you all for taking the time to respond to my plea regarding my "movie star dress" as my 8-year-old calls it. I am so much more relieved since I did really want to wear the dress no matter what. My plan is to keep the dress under wraps until that night then maybe tell him I'll meet him in the bar just to see his eyeballs fall out when he sees me. (I've *never* worn a dress like this but was inspired to go all out for some reason). I know we will have a great time, thanks again for your help and encouragement! Woo-hoo!

Have fun!!

Definitely wear long - I have two new long gowns for my cruise this month. We get so few opportunities to go all out - take advantage!!!!:p

I love to dress up. My 13 year old son will be in a tux, and my 12 year old daughter has two new full length gowns too.

I love your surprise attack plan too!

Go for it! Us moms rarely get to dress up and look like wives ;). I went on my first cruise last year, and even though it was only a 4 dayer, lots of women were in full length gowns. I have one dress so far for this cruise, a short black, "Breakfast At Tiffany's" style. I've had my eye out for a gown for a while now, but want to find a good deal since I won't be wearing it to do laundry, take the kids to school, and clean the house ;) .

We're going all out for our July cruise - tuxes for DH and all three boys (found them online), cocktail dress for me (ankle length). DH and I tried out the combo at a church dinner dance, and it worked well. (And unlike some of the ladies who showed up last night at the Oscars, I can actually walk in my dress!:D ) As others have said, you will see a lot of different outfits on both men and women, but you won't feel out of place when you dress "to the nines."

As my job involves a lot of formal dressing (I have gone to 3 galas in 8 days!) it just doesn't seem like a vacation to me to have to dress formally. BUT, I felt very at home in a long skirt and top. My husband and son fit in with sports jackets and ties. The only people that looked a little silly were women in their 40s with cheap prom dresses designed for girls half their age. A simple long skirt with a couple of nice silk or lame tops is a great look and easy to pack. But I hope you look fab in your movie star dress. I have a Carman Marc Valvo column dress that I spent WAY too much money on but I feel like I'm ready for the Oscars whenever I wear it.

Archived