Coffee Pot

sunhoney64

I just got back from Explorer and packed my 4-cup coffee maker in my carry on. It got thru fine. Using my Brita water pitcher to filter that nasty chlorine taste out of the tap water, I had the most fabulous coffee every morning, and managed not to set the ship ablaze like all the paranoid folks claimed I would do.

Well consider yourself lucky, you beat the system. So what other rules do you not adhere to in your life? You may not have set the ship ablaze (this time) but the cruise line obviously has this restriction on coffee pots, irons, knives, guns, hand grenades, nuclear weapons and the like for a reason. There have been ships that were set ablaze by a passengers unattended iron. Will a coffee maker set the ship ablaze? Maybe not but it might if it does not have the same safety features as the coffee maker provided by the cruise line. But the rest of us will make an exception for you. Just sayin'.......

We were told by a custom agent that drug smugglers often hide their goods in bags of coffee, since the smell of the coffee hides the scent from the drug dogs...however, the drug dogs are trained to also sniff for...you guessed it....coffee!!!

We were warned when we brought home alot of blue mtn coffee from Jamaica for gifts....

Not sure if this is still true...but just in case, you may want to leave your left over java onboard!!!

DEA agents might can clarify this...anyone out there????

What about the Keurig mini brewers? There isn't a hot plate plus it's small and wouldn't take up much room in the suitcase. Just need to bring the K-cups or buy them in port. Is it worth bringing? I personally would not but it might help solve a dilemma with serious coffee drinkers.

I have one of those instant heaters that you plug in and insert in a cup of water. Do you think those would be confiscated? You can't leave them plugged in all the time as there is no way to turn it on or off.

I have one of those instant heaters that you plug in and insert in a cup of water. Do you think those would be confiscated? You can't leave them plugged in all the time as there is no way to turn it on or off.

It would probably be taken. It would be considered a heat source and with no safety features such as automatically turning off when not in use would make it a fire hazard. If you are in a cabin that has a provided coffee maker (Jr. Suites and higher) the coffee makers are designed with fire safety features.

Still....why don't they get the filters that match the coffee pots? :confused: They are available. All the ships have the wrong filters. Who is ultimately responsible for this error? OR is this a cost cutting effort, knowing no one in their right mind will attempt to make coffee this way. :rolleyes:

Gina

What sizes are the coffee filters that they provide? This will be the first time in a JS for us so I need to know what size of filters to bring. How is the coffee packaged that they provide??

Someone above posted about the coffee in the Cafe Promenade. I think it's the best on the ship, and they also have water that's hotter than any you can get anywhere else on the ship. I love the coffee there, but if I weren't satisfied with it, I think I'd bring the individual Starbucks and put them in the water from the Cafe Prom to save luggage and the inconvenience if what I brought got confiscated. By the way, they aren't confiscating hair dryers. I'm satisfied with the ones onboard, but one of my daughters swears her hair is impossible unless she brings her own :rolleyes:. Fine by me on whatever someone else feels they need. I find I can handle the coffee and hairdryer situation just fine on a cruise, when I might not like it at home ;).

Being from the Seattle area I know what good coffee is since you can't go 10feet without bumping into a coffee shop!

I came prepared with my Starbucks Via mug and packets of regular and decaf Via(gave up on the idea of using my travel french press)

I only used my decaf packets in the dining room for dinner,never used the mug

Most mornings we just ordered room service coffee and it was fine as was the self serve Seattle's Best in the Promenade

• 1 month later...

Hey KnitChick,

Long time no sail together. We are sailing out of Baltimore on June 16 on the Enchantment. Do you have any plans to travel then or is the that cruise too close to home? I can't find your email address anywhere or I would have tried to chat already. Didn't think about CruiseCritic until I registered for the M & M. Hope to hear from you soon. We had a great time hanging out with you and would like to repeat the experience. Thanks,

Randy & Cyndi

Wow! We're in a GS on the radiance in a few weeks..will we have something like this? If we have our own coffe pot i'll bring some of my own grounds from home!

We've been on over a dozen cruises, but I have never heard of getting a tea kettle from the cruiseline!!! Duh.....how great is that? But I wonder how many they have and if they run out?

For nearly 20 years, I've been making my own coffee. I travel for my job 50% of the time and I take my own coffee on the road too! I drink it black, so I can't mask an awful coffee with sugar/milk (I mean I could, I just don't drink it that way).

We carry a hot water kettle...it does turn off automatically. Hubby has to have his tea and he won't ever drink water that has come from a coffee pot (he swears he tastes coffee...he's Canadian and must have his tea--ha!). But I want the HOT, HOT, HOT water....much hotter than regular humans drink coffee so I never bother with the coffee from a regulation coffee pot and/or room service because it is not hot enough.

I drink 1-2 cups a day but they are from my own beans at home. I take the coffee with me...usually enough for 2 to 3 weeks on the road and it is so easy and effortless. I just bring a mug and a plastic Melita filter, stick the #2 Melita filters inside the mug and hubby puts his tea bags and a few socks, etc., in the tea kettle. We've been doing this for years on end and never once has anyone even asked about it--let alone take it away. I do think those coils are dangerous and I wouldn't be thrilled to know everyone had one of those in their cabins....but most coffee pots and tea kettles have auto shut off.

So what's the chance we could get a tea kettle from the cruiseline on the Liberty? That would be really nice!

Dawn

I have had a tea kettle in Jr. Suites. The ships are not wired to accomodate people bringing along their own pots, irons, etc. It is a fire hazard. You can buy a good cup of coffee on board if you are fussy. Don't flame me, but I would rather not evacuate from a burning ship because a fellow cruiser has to have coffee made by them "their way". The coffee bags and instant are also a viable solution.

Buy your coffee, bring coffee bags or instant coffee, but please don't bring a pot into a cabin not wired to handle it and put the rest of us at risk. Thanks.

But you know the people who will bring their own coffee maker or water heating device believe the rules are for everyone else to follow.

I do think those coils are dangerous and I wouldn't be thrilled to know everyone had one of those in their cabins....but most coffee pots and tea kettles have auto shut off. Dawn

Not true. My MIL really wanted a small, 2 cup coffee maker, so she bought an inexpensive model. I took it back and bought her a slightly more expensive 4 cup maker that had the auto shut off that the cheaper model did not have. You can't count on people being smart enough to look for this safety feature when all they see is the small size ("Wow. That will fit in my suitcase just fine.") and the lower price.

In the Junior suites and upward there is a small coffee maker and an electric type kettle

The pre packaged coffee is just too stront for me so what I do is heat the water in the kettle and use half the coffee that the pot brews and half hot water and its just fine for me - we usually get room service a little later - hubby likes to sleep late and I enjoy just sitting on the balcony and read.

Not sure what size the filters are, but much smaller than regular coffee makers - going to check out some smaller pre packaged coffee to use on our next trip in October:)

I have the same single cup coffee maker that they provide in the JS and above on the ship. It only brews 1 cup and then shuts off. I buy packages of ground coffee at walmart or many grocery stores that come in a bag of usually 18 individual coffee pods that each makes 1 cup. My first cruise I was on in a js where they provided the coffee maker and coffee packs they were suppose to be used with a 4 cup coffee maker that most hotels provide, so using it in the 1 cup coffee maker made a very strong cup of coffee. So the next time I went on a cruise I took my own 1 cup coffee pods they work great. I wish they would let me bring my own 1 cup coffee maker just like the ones they provide (same brand because I ordered it online after using it on that cruise where one was provided) when I cruise in other then a suite. I have not been able to afford suites anymore since my husband recently passed away and the solo prices are usually to expensive for me.

Not true. My MIL really wanted a small, 2 cup coffee maker, so she bought an inexpensive model. I took it back and bought her a slightly more expensive 4 cup maker that had the auto shut off that the cheaper model did not have. You can't count on people being smart enough to look for this safety feature when all they see is the small size ("Wow. That will fit in my suitcase just fine.") and the lower price.

I said "most," not "all."

Archived