Coffee Pot

sunhoney64

They have been pulling them from luggage and fans and hair dryers too

Would not take a coffee pot, we're not that fussy on our coffee and much prefer to just order it from room service for breakfast, or go to the buffet, etc.

They're confiscating hair dryers? Ack! I will have one, as our vacation is for two weeks and the cruise is only 4 days, but won't use it on the ship. I've always been fine with the ship's hair dryers, as my hair is not thick so I don't have a problem drying it with theirs. So, just because there is one in my suitcase, even tho I'm not going to use it, they're going to take it?

I used to take my french press, then my one cup mylitta and have hot water delivered..it NEVER tastes like home coffee (or land coffee :)) I really think it is the potable water...if you are that picky a coffee drinker (as I am as well) you won't be satisfied.....just make the yucky coffee part of cruising and get a good cup when you get to each port. Just mho.

Barb C

Coffee at the Windjammer is usually blah. I find the coffee served at dinner somewhat better. Not sure why since I think it is the same.

I love a good cup of coffee but I also love not MAKING coffee. I am perfectly happy with Windjammer style coffee as long as I don't have to make it. :)

We are "coffee snobs" which is unfortunate while cruising, as the "free coffee" is terrible! So, last week, we decided to take our coffeemaker along, but it never made it to our cabin. My suggestion is to purchase the coffee onboard. It's really good, and if you're desperate like me, it's worth every penny! :)

I tell you what, instant coffee can be way better than some of the stuff you find on some ships. Always bring some just in case. All you need is the hot water available on board. Don't say....you don't drink instant. Try some starbucks via if you can't do taster's choice. It beats a horrible cup of burned or over-brewed coffee. It's easy and won't be confiscated.

Gina

I tell you what, instant coffee can be way better than some of the stuff you find on some ships. Always bring some just in case. All you need is the hot water available on board. Don't say....you don't drink instant. Try some starbucks via if you can't do taster's choice. It beats a horrible cup of burned or over-brewed coffee. It's easy and won't be confiscated.

Gina

Totally agree with this Gina! I do bring my own coffee, however I bring the Folger's cofffee bags...a slight step up from instant coffee IMO. To make it easy to order, I just order tea with cream and then use the hot water for my coffee bag. :)

Totally agree with this Gina! I do bring my own coffee, however I bring the Folger's cofffee bags...a slight step up from instant coffee IMO. To make it easy to order, I just order tea with cream and then use the hot water for my coffee bag. :)

I used those bags in the past. I agree, they are quite good. I had forgotten about them. They are probably best bought right before a cruise since they won't have the shelf life of instant. I just keep the instant coffee single servings in a zip lock bag with my toiletries. But I think many people who don't like instant would like the bags. Really, I don't think they are any different than the pre-filled pouches you find in hotels for the in room coffee service.

Good idea.

Gina

I'm considering taking my French press in May. I like my organic half decaf half regular coffee.

Hopefully my hair drier will be safe. I am picky and like to use my own with the

diffuser.

Thank You! Another French press person. I was thinking about bringing mine, but how can I boil the water? I don't know if it would be worth running someware to get hot tea water. Last time we were on the Explorer, they botched the coffee very often by doubling it or something, We started to call it Seattle's worst after a while. I really missed my own recipe. :)

So is the answer no- that RCI will confiscate the coffee pot?

Just off Explorer in an E1 and no sign of a coffee pot. Boy-oh-boy, I wish there had been one; the coffee on the ship is nasty (except for Portofino's:))

So is the answer no- that RCI will confiscate the coffee pot?

Yes, they will confiscate it. It's listed in the "What Not To Pack" items on their web site...

What Not To Pack

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles & Incense
  • Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

I used those bags in the past. I agree, they are quite good. I had forgotten about them. They are probably best bought right before a cruise since they won't have the shelf life of instant. I just keep the instant coffee single servings in a zip lock bag with my toiletries. But I think many people who don't like instant would like the bags. Really, I don't think they are any different than the pre-filled pouches you find in hotels for the in room coffee service.

Good idea.

Gina

Actually, they are individually sealed in a foil pouch, so have a very long shelf life. The box I just bought says Best If Used before 11/2011.

Actually, they are individually sealed in a foil pouch, so have a very long shelf life. The box I just bought says Best If Used before 11/2011.

That's pretty good. I was probably thinking more along the line of "forever". :o Does instant coffee ever go bad? :confused:

Being in individual foil is nice especially for traveling. I was picturing them like a box of tea bags - when the box is open, they are all open. That's nice to know.

Gina

On Independence they gave us a tea kettle in our junior suite and I was on Grandeur in September and there was a coffee pot. So what kind of cabin are you staying in?

I just got off Brilliance OTS. Our balcony cabin had a tea kettle in the room. I am a tea snob and prefer to drink tea I bring.

Diana

I just got off Brilliance OTS. Our balcony cabin had a tea kettle in the room. I am a tea snob and prefer to drink tea I bring.

Diana

Junior suites and above all have the tea kettle now along with the coffee pot which usually has the wrong size coffee filter bags. :confused:

After enjoying a tea kettle in Europe before our recent TA and on board AD (which by the way didn't even have the coffee pot and I was glad) we bought ourselves a tea kettle for Christmas. It's fast and perfect for tea, instant coffee or hot chocolate.

Anyone in a JS or better is already set for instant coffee. Bring your favorite kind and the kettle for hot water is in the room.

Gina

They have been pulling them from luggage and fans and hair dryers too

Coffee pot is definitely on the no-no list. However, I've taken a small metal electric fan, as well as my own blow dryer, on every cruise I've been on and never once was anything said about it, nor have they been pulled. :)

cruise003.jpg

If you get the JS or above its really nice to have the kettle!

I brought this filter, along with my own fresh ground coffee! I'm an early riser, so this works very well and easy clean up.

Just ask for extra cups, milk the night before!

We still get room service for juice etc!

Archived