Coffee Pot

sunhoney64

That's pretty good. I was probably thinking more along the line of "forever". :o Does instant coffee ever go bad? :confused:

Being in individual foil is nice especially for traveling. I was picturing them like a box of tea bags - when the box is open, they are all open. That's nice to know.

Gina

I'd say, yes coffee does go bad. We'd been saving some whole beans for years, and it went stale. Now, we keep all our beans in tupperware.

We brought an immersion hot water heater aboard the Diamond Princess without any problem. Unfortunately, we learned it was a dud. On Voyager, we had the teakettle and drip coffee pot in the room. I'd packed some Taster's Choice Slims and Via, so it was simply a matter of boiling the water. Our Cabin Steward kept us supplied with clean coffee cups, creamer and sweetener. The only downside was the tea kettle had a broken switch, so we had to press it continuously to get it to work. I think the cruiseline likes their own models since they're auto off.

cruise003.jpg

If you get the JS or above its really nice to have the kettle!

I brought this filter, along with my own fresh ground coffee! I'm an early riser, so this works very well and easy clean up.

Just ask for extra cups, milk the night before!

We still get room service for juice etc!

This is very cool. I've never seen one of these before.

Gina

Where do you buy this? I know you can buy cone filters but how did you get the black cone thing?

thanks

I picked up mine at the HEB Grocery Store in the aisle with the coffee, filters, etc. In fact, I still use mine with my Keurig. For me it's easier to clean up then My K-Cup Filter.

Guest maddycat
Where do you buy this? I know you can buy cone filters but how did you get the black cone thing?

thanks

I bought my Melitta Perfect Brew Filter Cone at the local Shop Rite supermarket in the coffee/tea aisle. It was very inexpensive.......$2 or $3.

JS and above rooms are supposed to have the coffee pot and tea kettle.
Our JS on Voyager of the Seas had both a coffee pot and tea kettle. Tea Kettle switch wouldn't stay in on position. But we were able to override it by pressing on it until the water heated up.

Yeah, but I'm up at 5 AM to watch the sunrise and enjoy the peace. There's nowhere to get hot water and/or coffee at that time in the morning. Last time I checked, room service didn't start until 6:30 AM. That's way later than I prefer. Perhaps I can tip my room attendant to score me one of those suite coffee makers. They may have a few extra in the stockroom. There's nothing better than smelling it as it's brewing. It has nothing to do with being a snob, it's all about convenience. Having to wait or walk 1/2 a mile is definitely not convenient.

I have had a tea kettle in Jr. Suites. The ships are not wired to accomodate people bringing along their own pots, irons, etc. It is a fire hazard. You can buy a good cup of coffee on board if you are fussy. Don't flame me, but I would rather not evacuate from a burning ship because a fellow cruiser has to have coffee made by them "their way". The coffee bags and instant are also a viable solution.

Princess has laundromats and ironing boards with irons on each floor. To bad RCI doesn't do this also for those who would want to use those facilities. It was a godsend for us when we went on an Alaska cruisetour. Meant less packing and luggage to drag along. But I now I'm off topic.

Buy your coffee, bring coffee bags or instant coffee, but please don't bring a pot into a cabin not wired to handle it and put the rest of us at risk. Thanks.

I'm impressed at the number of people that know about French Presses.

It's my DW's favorite way of coffee, first thing in the morning. We start with a hot water kettle, provided by the ship, and the first kettle goes into the French Press, and then the second is made for my tea.

The ships no longer carry French Presses, as they once did for the full Suites. Most did not know how to use them, and they wound up broken, hence the coffee pot with a filter that is 4 times as strong as the pot.

No one will stop you from bringing a French Press aboard........it's just a glass container, with a plunger.;)

Rick

I'm impressed at the number of people that know about French Presses.

It's my DW's favorite way of coffee, first thing in the morning. We start with a hot water kettle, provided by the ship, and the first kettle goes into the French Press, and then the second is made for my tea.

The ships no longer carry French Presses, as they once did for the full Suites. Most did not know how to use them, and they wound up broken, hence the coffee pot with a filter that is 4 times as strong as the pot.

No one will stop you from bringing a French Press aboard........it's just a glass container, with a plunger.;)

Rick

Still....why don't they get the filters that match the coffee pots? :confused: They are available. All the ships have the wrong filters. Who is ultimately responsible for this error? OR is this a cost cutting effort, knowing no one in their right mind will attempt to make coffee this way. :rolleyes:

Gina

On my Voyager OTS cruises, I have not been impressed with the coffee in the MDR or Windjammer, but the coffee in Cafe Promenade was always good, and smelled great whenever I walked by. It is Seattle's Best. It is free (if you have one on your ship). There was also a place to buy specialty coffee. I like to mix mine with a pack of the dark hot chocolate to make a free mocha. I have read that room service has good coffee too.

I would not chance bringing a personal coffee pot.

• 1 month later...

I just got back from Explorer and packed my 4-cup coffee maker in my carry on. It got thru fine. Using my Brita water pitcher to filter that nasty chlorine taste out of the tap water, I had the most fabulous coffee every morning, and managed not to set the ship ablaze like all the paranoid folks claimed I would do.

I just got back from Explorer and packed my 4-cup coffee maker in my carry on. It got thru fine. Using my Brita water pitcher to filter that nasty chlorine taste out of the tap water, I had the most fabulous coffee every morning, and managed not to set the ship ablaze like all the paranoid folks claimed I would do.

I wonder what the rationale is for confiscating passenger's coffee makers when some cabins are provided an in-room coffee setup? On one cruise from Australia we even had a 220 volt tea kettle in the room. That puppy would boil water in about 45 seconds!

It makes as much sense as confiscating my swiss army knife, but then handing me a steak knife with a six-inch serrated blade in the MDR.:rolleyes:

On Independence they gave us a tea kettle in our junior suite and I was on Grandeur in September and there was a coffee pot. So what kind of cabin are you staying in?

065.jpg

Wow! We're in a GS on the radiance in a few weeks..will we have something like this? If we have our own coffe pot i'll bring some of my own grounds from home!

Hard core coffee fans should check out this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-1078276.html

I think I'll probably see if my steward can provide a water kettle for a tip. Easier than packing my own. An immersion coil might be confiscated as they do not have an auto-off. This metal travel tumbler french press will also keep the water a bit hotter than putting it into a ceramic mug http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AUDLRU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00023KJME&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13M93FCH1H4012WAH6BQ I have a similar one from starbucks.

• 2 weeks later...
Hard core coffee fans should check out this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-1078276.html

I think I'll probably see if my steward can provide a water kettle for a tip. Easier than packing my own. An immersion coil might be confiscated as they do not have an auto-off. This metal travel tumbler french press will also keep the water a bit hotter than putting it into a ceramic mug http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AUDLRU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00023KJME&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13M93FCH1H4012WAH6BQ I have a similar one from starbucks.

How do you clean the french press? Do you flush the grinds?

Totally agree with this Gina! I do bring my own coffee, however I bring the Folger's cofffee bags...a slight step up from instant coffee IMO. To make it easy to order, I just order tea with cream and then use the hot water for my coffee bag. :)

I agree, those Folger's coffee bags are not bad. I am a coffee snob but I use those Folgers bags at work which beats our crappy work coffee.

Archived