Traveling with Infant baby to Egypt

ojinaga78

HOLA, everyone!

My husband and I are planning to go on a cruise through Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas-Mediterranean (Rome/Messina/Athens/Ephesus/Rhodes/Cairo/Naples) in the Summer of 2011. We will be taking our, by then, 18 month son. He's a pro on traveling with us since he was 3 weeks old. Since we been living in Germany, he has travel all over this beautiful country, France, Italy, and recently Florida. So before we go back home to the USA we would like to take this cruise because of Egypt. My questions are: Have you done this cruise before or one that is similar to this with an infant? If you have; what was your experience? "or" Are you planning to take this cruise with an infant? Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciate it.

V/R

Ojinaga78

Thank you so much for your encouranging words. I was a little nervous about taking my son to Egypt but as long we keep to our schedule and take him on the backpack carrier like we had in the past he should be ok. I have decided to take a private tour once in Egypt. Just in case my son gets crumpy he wont be bothering other tourists. He's actually a good little traveler but will not know how his character would be next summer.

My kids are now 14 and almost 10, so it was an eternity ago that they were babies.;) But I do recall that they change constantly when they are so little. Just because your son is a "pro" at traveling as an infant (presumably less than 1 year old) doesn't really tell you anything about how he'll be at 18 months. When they get mobile, things get much more complicated. You're the ones who need to be the travel pros, not him. By all means, go and have fun. Just don't assume it will be the same as traveling with a newborn.

I have been to Egypt in the summer. We didn't have a child, and it wasn't a cruise (just a land tour), but it was 100-120 F, depending on where in the country it was. Tourists were collapsing from heat exhaustion, even mid-morning at the temples and such. Just keep that in mind as you make decisions on how to make it work with your child. Consider taking advantage of on-board babysitting if you are doing any serious touring during high heat.

I took my 5 year old twins, and there were several toddlers on board and seeing Egypt. As you've already decided, a well-regarded private tour is your best bet so you can dictate the itinerary (i.e., NO shopping stops unless you want them, etc.). We brought our own car seats, snacks, milk in the individual packs that don't need to be kept cold and followed our pediatrician's advice about extra vaccinations. The only thing is, we went in January and I think it would have been a lot different dealing with my girls in intense summer heat. I'm up for most things, but I think that might be too much for them. I would do the overnight itinerary so you can see the pyramids early in the morning. I think the make it or break it will be having a tour operator you can trust (even if they cost more) to have you in a well-air-conditioned vehicle for the 3 hour drive each way. I found tons of good advice on the Africa/Middle East board here, so I would suggest you post over there as well. You just have to pay attention to the posting history of each Cruise Critic member as there are usually a number of new members raving about a certain tour operator that I have always found very fishy.

Best,

Mia

Thank you for the adviceses. If we are still in Europe I might have to schedule my trip for Sep or Oct. Is not worth putting my son's life in danger for a trip. So now I will start searching information for those months. Hopefully, I will find out soon when we will be heading back home to the states. I might settle to take a different tour either England/Ireland.

We took our son on a Med cruise when he was 18 months old. One of the stops was in Egypt and we did the lengthy (12 hour) ship's excursion to see the Pyramids, etc. Our son slept the two hour bus ride each way and the tour was at a good pace - not too fast, nor too slow - which was good for all of us. We did elect to stay on the bus at one stop (at the Step pyramid) for a bit of an extra break, but otherwise kept up with the group without any issues. One important distinction is that our son was still nursing at the time; I seem to recall we took some packaged baby crackers or some small snacks off the ship with us but we didn't have bottles or baby food to deal with.

Our port stop was the end of September, so the temperatures were pretty decent (about 26 C). Egyptian vendors seemed to be a bit more "aggressive" than you may be used to, but we were treated well. When we picked up our cartouche pendants at the jewellery store, the jeweler fawned over our little guy and gave him a sterling silver scarab beetle charm. Actually all over Europe people insisted on giving our son "treats" (no strings attached; usually older business owners whose children were grown.) :)

When we were in Egypt, some time ago, sans kids, we enjoyed the Egyptian people so much. Yes, some of the street sellers are agressive, but nothing we couldn't handle. I am almost 100% sure that Egyptians you meet will fawn over your son and treat him like royalty.

I am glad you are reconsidering the summer itinerary, though. We were there in early March and the Cairo weather was pleasant, but I would never consider touring Egypt in the summer, especially with a toddler. We did hit extremely hot weather (100+) even in March at Luxor and the Valley of the Kings. I realize you are not going that far south, but touring in really hot weather like that just isn't worth it with a little one.

And, 18 months is a really tough age for kids to handle long bus rides and tours of sites that hold no interest for them.

Thank You for ya'lls responds and advice. I am looking into the Sept-Oct cruises. Ms. Wanderingfool, could you tell me how your experience was with the cruise ship you went on. Wow 100+ in march is supper hot. Wont' be going there there at that time, I am glad you gave that worning. Oh, and yes we have experience the love for children all over Europe, specially in Rome. My son always gets attention everywhere we go. European pleople are more open to speak to you when you have a child. We sure going to miss this part of the world when I go back to the USA. I just hope we come back later so my son can experience it at a older age. Specially to learn how to play Football (Soccer) and learn a new language.

V/R

Ojinaga78

As a PP said earlier, they do change a lot during this time. At 18 months, your child will want to crawl all over the place, so he might hate the backpack carrier. There's really no way to know what the temperament will be. I'd say try it, have low expectations and high hopes, but have an escape plan ready if you need to bail!

Archived