Cruising with a 1-year-old - need tips & advice

Luluwa

My daughter, her husband and one-year-old baby will be cruising in a cabin together and my husband and I in another.

None of us have ever sailed with a baby.... we need advice, tips, anything you can help us with and thanks in advance! :o

the couple with a 7 month old said they were surprised how much of the cruise food their little one could eat. They brought too much extra food. Maybe their baby was unusually good, but they brought him around in a big stroller and he could sleep whenever he wanted and was the best baby. Everyone loved him.

At 1 the child will want to crawl more Im thinking .. so thats going to be a big challenge keeping him happy ... so much depends on the child.

I have never traveled with a young child/baby on a cruise.

But from what I have seen here they will need to plan to bring everything they need. I hear that the on board shops do not care baby supplies and most parents do not want to trust being able to get what they need in a port.

Some familes have also brought their own pack-n-plays because there is no guarantee that Carnival can provide one.

we sailed in October with our 6 month old grandaughter and family. She ate her first bread on the cruise and loved it. She ate very little of the baby food we hauled on board. She had a great time, and the staff spoiled her shamelessly. She enjoyed the beach in Roaatan, shopping in Cozumel and people watching in general. They celebrated Halloween while we were on baord and she loved he decorations, the costumes, and all the attention she got as a little "Biker Chick" She went to the shows and loved them. She went to sleep before one was over but stood in our laps and bounced at the Big Easy show. We did take her bassontte, but I think she slept with her parents more than she did in it. She loved the cruise food and we can't wait to take her again. But she is an extremely good baby who goes to sleep easily, rarely cries and has a very good disposition normally. That might make a difference.

If you haven't already, check the family boards. I got LOTS of good ideas, tips, etc. last year when we took our 2 yr old for the first time.

I think the biggest thing I can say is take whatever snack type stuff will keep the little one happy while on/off the ship and make sure you're prepared with plenty of diapers and meds (Tylenol, etc.). As someone mentioned, IF they are sold on board they are $$$$

The most unexpectedly helpful suggestion I got was to pack each of his outfits in a ziploc bag. I thought this would be overkill, but it was so easy to just grab a bag and have the whole outfit already put together. AND then we had lots of bags for misc. purposes when he had worn the outfit.

Some people will say it's a hassle, but you alone know your kid. Given, we had a 2 yr old and not a 1 yr old, but we had a great time and so did he! You can have a perfectly enjoyable vacation with a little one.

Happy cruising!

We just returned from our first cruise with a one year old. Here's what we learned:

-Before you even leave on your cruise, check with your TA, PVP, or Carnival rep to ensure that they have requested a crib for you. No need to haul your own crib or pack and play. Its a waste of time and manpower.

- Arrive at the port of embarkation after 1pm. This will minimize the amount of time you need to wait for your cabin to be ready (and trust me, when you have baby gear with you, you WANT to get rid of it as soon as possible).

- Leave the clunky, full sized stroller at home and bring a compact umbrella stroller. Easy to store under the bed and out of the way. We also brought a Baby Bjorn which was very helpful as well.

- Even though your little one should have no trouble eating the food from the ship, it's wise to bring some snacks and pre packaged meals for emergencies.

- When looking at show excursions, keep in mind that even if a shore excursion allows babies, that doesn't mean that the excursion is "baby friendly" or "baby appropriate". We booked an excursion in Nassau that had the baby bottle logo. We almost turned around. It was challenging with a baby, and there were NO bathroom facilities or changing stations. Also, you're on a strict time frame so there's very little wiggle room to accommodate your baby's needs.

- At the main dining room, select Any Time Dining. That way, you can go to eat when it's convenient for you and not at a pre determined time when your baby may not be quite up for it.

- Be OK with the thought that you may miss some meals at the main dining room, shows or activities if they coincide with your baby's cranky time. We ate several dinners at the buffet.

- Check out Camp Carnival. They don't have activities for kids under two, but they do have some free play hours as well as baby sitting for your baby.

- Before you sail, research your ports of call to see if there are any stores where you can purchase baby supplies. This was a life saver for us, since we needed to purchase some things that we thought we wouldn't need, as well as extra baby snacks. If you are going to Key West, there's a CVS and a Walgreen's within walking distance.

- Be tolerant of fellow passengers. Some can be very inconsiderate around babies.

Feel free to read our review (link below my signature).

We have always had 3 golden rules of travel in traveling with my 2.5 year old daughter (who took her first vacation at 2 months of age):

Make sure baby gets enough sleep at night and naps during the day. This is the number one golden rule we have because when she's sleepy, no one has fun. Not her, not us and not the people around us, though we minimize that as best we can by removing her from the situation ASAP.

Feed baby whenever she's hungry and not on a schedule. Take snacks everywhere and use them when necessary.

If baby is fussy, take baby out of the show/restaurant/game/shops/whatever you're doing at the time and tend to her needs.

My daughter is on the spectrum and has communication delays but as long as we stick to these three golden rules, she's an absolute joy to travel with. The key is to be tuned in to your child's needs and be willing to make sacrifices to prevent meltdowns that will render the day unsalvagable.

Best of luck. You will have a wonderful time!

Don't listen to the negativity...My 5 yr old son has been on 4 cruises. My now one yr old daughter went on her first cruise at 7 months and we are going again in 2 weeks. We chose to have children and the thought of leaving them behind has never been an option for us. I can understand having an adult only vacation as well but we have enjoyed having our children with us. The best advice I can give is just pack plenty of diapers and formula if baby is on formula still. Milk is available on the ships and there are generally mini firdges in most cabins on the cruise ships now. Also I take bottled water to make bottles...although water on cruise ships is filtered. you can buy bottled water on ship too but at a premium price. Don't have high/rigid expectations...be relaxed and know that a cruise with a baby is a entirely different..yet fun...experience. The kids clubs usually have playtime for little ones too...accomapnied by parents and we have done this with our little ones on past cruises.

On all of our past cruises, staff members have been excellent with our children. Many of them are parents themselves, separated from their children, working on cruises and sending money home to their own families. They love babies and children. My 5 yr old son has been spoiled rotten on every cruise he has been on.

We have never taken a pack and play with us on a cruise. We have always notified our TA or cruise line directly that we will need accooadations for baby and it is done. Either a pack and play or portable crib is provided...if it is not in the room when you arrive, the cabin steward will get it so don't panic. I do bring favorit balkets for baby. Also if you are dining in the dining room, request a high chair. In the other dining areas, I have always been able to find high chairs and staff on both Carnival and Royal Carr. Staff will actually hunt them down for you if they see you carrying baby to a table. For a one yr old I would take some baby toys for the room to entertain.

We always travel with a a stroller that also acts as a carseat for excursion purposes. it has been a great investment...but we do travel often. It is called a sit and stroll and is somewhat pricey. The handle and wheels are attached to a carseat type seat that fold up when used as a carseat. Otherwise I would take an umbrella stroller...takes up less space and rooms are small.

Packing baby clothes in ziploc bags for each day has helped me. I find it easy to just throw the prepacked clothes in a bookbag daily for shore excursions if needed.

Another great hint...over the door shoe organizer... hang in bathroom in your room and throw all essentials in there. A must for my family on a cruise.

Also...another mustfor us...the blow up duck bathtub found at Target for less that 12 bucks. packs easy and it fits perfect in the bottom of the shower for baby..as most bathrooms on ships have no tubs. Have also used it on deck for little one to spash in as babies are not supposed go in pools if not potty trained (although this rule is not often adhered to). Just fill with cups of water from pool and find a drain and dump when leaving...do not dump in pool!!

Have fun and be sure to get cute outfits for formal night for baby...the crew will love it and the picture opportunity will be great.

Happy cruising. Good luck and have fun!!

Hoceydad's wife:)

I don't think babies and cruising go hand in hand. That cruise cabin would get awfully small quick! I think babies are adorable but also demanding and take all of your time?? Why would you want to take small children on a cruise?? Way, way to much to worry about if you ask me. Never, never in my opinion!

We travled with my son in december when he was 15MO. Everything was great.

We embarked out of miami and the hub had a kid zone where he could play while we waited to get on the ship (they dont all have that we lucked on).

Once on board you will notice on the LIDO that you dont see high chairs. Ask someone and they will bring them out to you. sometimes they keep 1 or 2 out during the day.

Like a previous poster said dont bring a big clunky stroller, we had an umbrella stroller that layed down and folded easily.

There was plenty of food for him to eat in the buffetts and in the dining room they will bring whatever you request for the child. (the dining room staff loves having tables with children that young).

All guests on the boat and staff always talked to my son and loved seeing him. We would get comments from people about how great he always is and we did not even see these people before but they saw him everyday!

He would nap in his stroller poolside daily (but we lucked out with that). At night we wound up with him sleeping on the couch bed becuase the crib took up to much room in our balcony cabin, he naps on a cot in daycare so he is used to that.

Camp Carnival: we used a few nights for babysitting they babysit under 2 from 10pm-3am. We would put him to sleep in his stroller wheel him to camp at 10 and keep him there for just a few hours bring him back and transfer him to bed. they also have open play on sea days where you can bring them in camp and they play. On port days if you stay on the boat they have daytime babysitting in the am.

Advice i found on these boards to be helpful:

-Bring a small blow up pool to put in the shower and use as a tub.

-pack diapers in each suitcase incase something happens you have diapers.

I saw baby wipes avialable to buy onboard in the shop but no diapers. (although ihear in emergencies you can but in the infirmiry.)

Please ask with any further questions.

The crew still gets tips for the baby and they should because they're more work.

automatic tipping is not for under 2- you will have to tip in cash for that but I do agree they domoe work for a baby then others.

High chairs are not the kind with the tray- they are the ones that slip under the table so you want to be quick with moving things out of reaching distance.

There is much going on in the dining room to keep her entertained.

Bring everything you will need for baby- diapers, bibs, (we used the disposables) sippy cups, (we let her eat the chilled soups with a straw-she loved those.

At one they will be teething--so bring meds for that too- a screaming baby in a cabin will be felt in other cabins all around.

My best tip is to know your baby - a lot of people saying bring or don't bring pack -n- plays - but have you travelled with baby before? Does baby do ok sleeping in unfamiliar situations? If not, definitely bring your own pack -n- play. We had 2 that were very good about sleeping in any situation, but our third just fussed until we brought her into bed with us unless we had her own familiar bed.

If this sounds like your baby, set the pack -n- play up at home for a week or two prior to the cruise and have baby sleep in there a couple nights a week and for naptime. Then bring it on the cruise with baby's familiar bedding - it will make nights a lot better!

Also, don't forget to grab a couple boxes of cereal from the buffet in the morning - makes for great snacks when onshore. I wouldn't worry too much about taking a lot of your own food/snacks. You will find lots on board for baby to eat - but be smart in planning for onshore times.

Pack more diapers than you need, bring baby medicines (dramamine, tylenol, etc), extra pacifiers if you use them, extra sippy cups - those things tend to disappear and it can be traumatic if you aren't prepared. Don't worry about bringing extra clothes - you can always do laundry or send it out to be done (bring quarters and your own laundry detergent if you want to avoid allergies).

Ignore anyone who says not to bring your baby. All those kids they also complain about??? Most of their parents followed this advice and never trained/taught their children to be good travellers (or good patrons in restaurants,etc). You will have a blast and your child will learn more from experiencing new situations (yes, even if they can't remember them) than they will from staying at home! We've travelled the world with our kids since they were very small and you won't find many kids that can carry on the level of conversations with "strangers" or manage unforseen situations better now that they are getting towards their teen years.

Best advice I can give you - relax and let your baby tell you when he/she has had enough. If you make sure baby gets enough sleep and you pay attention to those signals, all of you will have a fantastic time. Do make sure to have at least one "date night" while onboard. You can get sitters and they do a fantastic job. Have fun on your cruise!

I don't think babies and cruising go hand in hand. That cruise cabin would get awfully small quick! I think babies are adorable but also demanding and take all of your time?? Why would you want to take small children on a cruise?? Way, way to much to worry about if you ask me. Never, never in my opinion!

we just did Destiny with 2 adults, 3 kids in a cabin...no issues unless you booked a cruise to sit in a cabin all day...I have pics of my daughters and I in the wonderful ocean at Half Moon Cay...if I chose not to bring my kids with me I would regret it now looking at the pics! Cannot replace these memories..

anytime dine is great if your baby will sleep in a stroller...we had dinner with our older 2 or they ate at the camp near 6pm...we walked around for a bit, baby fell asleep in her stroller then we went to eat....most nights she stayed asleep...not all babies are like that of course.

instead of following the negative advice that some provide..(my guess is you are looking for positive)....babies love the open air especially at night, along with the rocking. My two little ones did very well at the beach and while just relaxing in the open air. This will help them settle easier and hopefully alleviate any tantrums you will turn into, thus having to remove them.

instead of following the negative advice that some provide..(my guess is you are looking for positive)....babies love the open air especially at night, along with the rocking. My two little ones did very well at the beach and while just relaxing in the open air. This will help them settle easier and hopefully alleviate any tantrums you will turn into, thus having to remove them.

I agree totally, go with a positive attitude and make some wonderful memories. We have raised 6 sons, our oldest 4 are in their early 20s now and all played travel hockey, we travelled extensively with them and our 2 younger sons, who became very well versed in behavior in hotels and restaurants and in public in general, you have to take your children places to teach them what is expected, that being said of course if your child is screaming and cant be soothed then of course removing the child from the restaurant, show, etc is what has to be done for the enjoyment of everyone else and for the child as well.

The younger sons are now 11 and 8 and behaved as they know we expect them to on our last cruise, we have already planned 3 more with them and will be planning a cruise to visit Greece, Egypt and Israel with them as well.

Hope that you guys have a wonderful cruise, enjoy the memories and enjoy the baby as they grow up just too quickly :)

Archived