Ventura - Ties or not ??

WATB

My hubby isn't keen on the formal stuff when he's on holiday, we are on the Ventura for a week in May so just wanted to check out how limiting that will be to us in the evenings please.

Is there usually only 1 formal night on a 7 night trip and then all the others being smart casual............does this mean just shirt and long trousers for men.......or tie, jacket ? Having read some comments about some of the ridiculous snobbery that takes place, we really don't want to 'offend' anyone by the lack of a tie at the wrong time in the wrong place, heaven forbid :eek: !!!

Cheers for your help.

Hi there, please do not take this the wrong way but posts like this always end up in a slanging match between the old OV cruisers and the exsiting P&O cruisers. I have cruised with each of them plus Thomsons and FO so no axe to grind.:)

We were lucky when we started cruising we went with "experienced" friends who advised us on the dredd code issue.

I suggest you read the P&O brochure that tells you about dress code, now the qustion is do P&O enforce the brochure;) also if you can watch the Travel channel when they are flogging cruises, you will see how most people dress.

Myself, I always wear a tie and jacket or lighweight suit and black tie on formal nights, but that's my choice. I am not offended by somebody with no tie. Flip flops, shorts and t-shirts in the dining room at any time well yes that irritates more than offends.:)

I think the fact that you ask the question shows you have concern for your fellow passengers which will ensure you have a real good time,

Take it easy and relax on the dress code, although I love the threads when the 2 bob millionaires get going.

Happy New Year.

On Ventura there are two formal nights on a 7night cruise and the remainder are smart casual. The first one is usually the second night and is the Captains welcome aboard reception where the Captain buys the drinks so you would not want to miss that by not conforming to the dress code.

See here for details on dress code

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code

Brian

Hi WATB,

I was quite surprised on Ventura. The dress code was enforced on formal nights, with announcements from the CD reminding everyone to wear formal in public places that evening, with the exception of the buffet. I would say it was generally a lot smarter at night than on my Princess cruises.

There was a high percentage of men in dinner suits on formal night. The rest of the time it was casual; some but not many ties. No 'smart casual' nights on our cruise (jacket and ties)

We booked the speciality restaurants for 2 of our 4 formal nights and most were in formal wear. Husband took a dinner suit and a dark lounge suit. He wore dinner suit 3 times (he felt he should because most did) and dark suit once. Easier just to wear them than feel out of place and be restricted. He took his tie off after dinner :eek:

You can eat at the Beach House in part of the buffet area which is used at night, with tablecloths and waiter service, as well as in the normal self serve buffet. Don't think formal is required there, but not sure. You could have a longish wait for a table in the waiter part, so book a table before going for a drink.

The main thing is not to stress about it because the dress code pales into insignificance once you get onboard that beautiful ship. :)

Is there usually only 1 formal night on a 7 night trip and then all the others being smart casual............does this mean just shirt and long trousers for men.......or tie, jacket ? Having read some comments about some of the ridiculous snobbery that takes place, we really don't want to 'offend' anyone by the lack of a tie at the wrong time in the wrong place, heaven forbid :eek: !!!

Cheers for your help.

When we were on Ventura in May 2010 there were 4 formal nights during the 14 night cruise. I would have to say that as far as I could see (club dining, 2nd sitting) they were very well observed - I think the majority of men were in dinner suits rather than business suits.

All of the other evenings were 'smart casual'. I think this means jacket, shirt but no tie, and that's what I wore. I took a linen suit (light in both colour and weight) and several nights wore this with linen-y shirts; on other nights I paired that jacket with different chino-style trousers and smart cotton shirts. I didn't wear a tie on any 'smart casual' night.

When we were on Ventura in May 2010 there were 4 formal nights during the 14 night cruise. I would have to say that as far as I could see (club dining, 2nd sitting) they were very well observed - I think the majority of men were in dinner suits rather than business suits.

All of the other evenings were 'smart casual'. I think this means jacket, shirt but no tie, and that's what I wore. I took a linen suit (light in both colour and weight) and several nights wore this with linen-y shirts; on other nights I paired that jacket with different chino-style trousers and smart cotton shirts. I didn't wear a tie on any 'smart casual' night.

Semi-formal requires a jacket but no tie. Smart casual does not require a jacket - unless you want to wear one.

Thanks everyone for your input, its very helpful.......we've decided to take one formal outfit and the rest smart casual. This will allow us the option to attend the theatre, etc without feeling awkward on formal nights.

While I understand that formal nights are a tradition its not something that my husband enjoys but accept that we may be in the minority..........we have chosen this cruise purely for the itinerary and find the restrictions a little off putting but would never deliberately flout the codes out of respect for others.

From reading other threads on this forum, I see the relaxing of the dress code is quite a discussion point and is obviously a disappointment to some regular cruisers ........which is a shame as this ship is surely big enough to allow PO to provide for both traditional and a more relaxed approach to accommodate all their guests..........:confused:

On a 7n cruise, just 2 are formal....most men will be wearing a black dinner suit with bow tie, the others a lounge suit and tie, so yes nearly all men will be wearing a tie on these two nights. The other five no tie needed if smart casual.

There may not be a Captains Welcome aboard party with pre-dinner freebie drinks, seem to be fading this out on some ships on 7n cruises. We didn't have one Brian on a 7n cruise on Azura last July.

There may not be a Captains Welcome aboard party with pre-dinner freebie drinks, seem to be fading this out on some ships on 7n cruises. We didn't have one Brian on a 7n cruise on Azura last July.

Sue,

We have always had one on a 7 night cruise, although the last 7 night cruise we did was last year on Oriana. The 2011 brochure says they are held on all cruises over 3 nights. (p51) Are you confusing this with the Portunus evening which is not held on 7day cruises?

Brian

Sue,

We have always had one on a 7 night cruise, although the last 7 night cruise we did was last year on Oriana. The 2011 brochure says they are held on all cruises over 3 nights. (p51) Are you confusing this with the Portunus evening which is not held on 7day cruises?

Brian

Brian

I'll have to check. Interesting the 2n party cruises have dropped the Welcome aboard party, must be cost cutting, we didn't have a pre-dinner welcome party on Aurora a few weeks ago on the 2nighter, when in previous 2 nighters we had.

Brian

I'll have to check. Interesting the 2n party cruises have dropped the Welcome aboard party, must be cost cutting, we didn't have a pre-dinner welcome party on Aurora a few weeks ago on the 2nighter, when in previous 2 nighters we had.

Yes thats correct, you only get one over three nights, so you should get one on a seven night. Dont you have photos from your Azura one or did you have too much champagne;)

Brian

Thanks everyone for your input, its very helpful.......we've decided to take one formal outfit and the rest smart casual. This will allow us the option to attend the theatre, etc without feeling awkward on formal nights.

While I understand that formal nights are a tradition its not something that my husband enjoys but accept that we may be in the minority..........we have chosen this cruise purely for the itinerary and find the restrictions a little off putting but would never deliberately flout the codes out of respect for others.

From reading other threads on this forum, I see the relaxing of the dress code is quite a discussion point and is obviously a disappointment to some regular cruisers ........which is a shame as this ship is surely big enough to allow PO to provide for both traditional and a more relaxed approach to accommodate all their guests..........:confused:

Yes, P&O are lagging somewhat in that area. I was very pleased with how RCI Indy of the Seas did it on my recent cruise. On formal nights in the MDR was about 95% wore tux or dark suits, yet later on in the promenade people wearing jeans/shirts who had ate in the buffet quite happily mixed with those in the tuxes and not a word was said.

I did 2 nights in my Tux and that was enough!

Yes thats correct, you only get one over three nights, so you should get one on a seven night. Dont you have photos from your Azura one or did you have too much champagne;)

Brian

Hello Brian

Dug out the paperwork for Azura 7n cruise and you are correct we did have a 'Ships Officers Welcome on board Gala Reception' I have the invite infront of me....note it says 'Ships Officers' now and not 'Captain', as I remember he didn't attend, no speeches from anyone, like on a 14n cruise when the Captain introduces his Officers and makes a speech. Thats probably why it slipped my mind...a free drink around the Atrium and on to dinner, it was a a bit uneventful, lol.

Archived