Paris Docking

Maggie Mae

Does anyone have an idea where the boats, Viking's in particular, dock in Paris? Arriving early the day of our cruise so would like to take advantage of that time to do some things in the city, but would like to have an idea of dock location.

Thank you and Happy New Year

Hi, I had answered this question about 6 months ago. We were on an April 2010 cruise and we were right within sight of the hot air balloon. Don't remember the exact quay, but Viking will tell you and you can then Google Earth it.

Does anyone have an idea where the boats, Viking's in particular, dock in Paris? Arriving early the day of our cruise so would like to take advantage of that time to do some things in the city, but would like to have an idea of dock location.

Thank you and Happy New Year

We were on the Viking Normandy cruise in 2008. We docked at the Quai de Grenelle, (next to the Statue of Liberty)which was very close to the Eiffel Tower. Very convenient location. Metro is good and easy to use-just watch for pick-pockets.

EKML

Do you remember what was included in the Viking city Tour? Should we go into the Eiffel Tower, Louve, Notre Dame on our own?

Thank you

The city tour is more of a drive-by, w/stops at some scenic spots. Also had boat cruise on the Seine. You will have to do the the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Norte Dame on your own-better that way-then you can spend as much time as you want at each spot. You'll need lots of time-there's so much to see at each place. You should get a list of highlights at the Louvre so you can plan your route-there's too much to see it all.

Viking will send you a detailed itinerary, including info on meeting places at the Paris airport and sights along the Seine. You should get these a couple of weeks before you leave. Viking was very good about providing detailed maps for each stop to help you get around on your own.

If you are going to Giverny (Monet's home) on your cruise, you might want to see the original water lily canvases at the Orangerie. It is in the corner of the Tuillerie (?sp) Gardens - up by the Place de la Concorde. The Orangerie is a small museum - but the water lillies are simply amazing.

Thank you everyone for the information - all very helpful. We definately won't have all the time we want at each site, but we are doing our research to try and narrow down our "must sees".

Hi Maggie Mae,

If you liked Prague, you are going to LOVE Paris.

If you have never been to Paris before and would like to see as much as possible in just one day, I would suggest one of the comprehensive, double-decker, bus tours, such as the one offered by CityDiscover http://www.city-discovery.com/paris/tour.php?id=945.

This will allow you to see the monuments that make Paris famous, Notre Dame Cathedral, Eiffel Tower, Montmartre, the Champs-Elysées Avenue, the Opera House, and much more. It allows some free time at Cite Island with the Palace of Justice and Notre-Dame Cathedral and a walking tour of Montmartre, near Sacre-Coeur Basilica and the artists square, where you can go exploring on your own. I love wandering around Montmartre watching the artist at work. It would be impossible to do all of this on your own in just one day.

The Louvre is a huge museum and could occupy an entire day. I don’t recommend you attempt an inside visit with just one day to see Paris. Unless you arrive early in the morning and queue up before opening time the lines can get extremely long. Especially on weekends and holidays – admission is free on the 1st Sunday of each month.

I have been to Paris dozens of times and it is hands-down my very favorite city. We took our granddaughter there for her high school graduation present two years ago and I made several short videos that were uploaded to Youtube. These include: Katie in Paris, Tour Eiffel, Montmartre, River Seine Cruise, and the Marie de Paris District. These will give you a flavor of what is in store for you in this wonderful city.

Go to http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=18126517&postcount=1 for information on finding my Youtube channel. Once your on my channel site, scrool down the list until you find the videos of Paris.

Frommers’s has a great little tour guide - Paris day by day - that gives suggestions for what to see in one day, two days, etc. This might help with your decision if you decide not to do the city tour by bus.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your visit to the “City of Lights”.

Ron

Archived