Can you help our family pick a cruiseline?

RaeEllen

We are a family of four (me, DH, 2yo DD, and 12 yo DS) Any suggestions for a European Cruise next summer. I think Costa sounds like a great line for us: port intensive, not too fancy.

However, it has two big downsides: THe childcare doesn't start until age 3. And, there are no family friendly cabin arrangements. (Even the suites don't seem to have a semi private area for DS to sleep. And I could live without that, but there doesn't seem to be room to put a crib. In an ideal world, there'd be some sort of semiprivate (curtained off, cornered off) space for DS to sleep and to put DD to nap so I can be in the room and not sitting in the dark. )

If we can't find anything better, we may go with Costa, Veranda cabin. DD can sleep in the cabin while I sit on the Veranda, and we will just suck it up at night.

But, if anyone has any suggestions for other lines, I'd love to hear!

NCL has child care from 2-5 years. my dd is very clingy & doesnt go to daycare but loved kids club. they are real experts.

we loved NCL's anytime dining. being able to go to dinner early one night and late the next and not have to rush to be on time for a 7pm seating was priceless.

of course that is just the NCL line. it really depends on which ship you go on. want to make sure that they have a kiddie pool or splash area for your 2 year old.

but..... have heard some wonderful things about Costa.

I don't have any experience with Costa so I can't help you there. But we are a family of four booked on our 3rd European cruise. I urge you to look into booking two connecting staterooms instead of trying to squeeze everyone into one room. Depending on the particular cruise, this may turn out to be not much more expensive than squeezing everyone into one room. Trust me, you will really appreciate the 2nd bathroom and extra space. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean both have ships with quite a few connecting staterooms.

Take a look at the Carnival Magic. The itineraries are generally excellent, and Carnival does offer Camp Carnival for 2 year olds. We have sailed in Europe 3 times (Med twice and Baltics once) with our kids, and those trips were their favorites. In contrast to jane, we have always packed the 4 of us into one inside cabin on cruises up to 14 nights, and we've had a ball! We have also sailed in Europe on Princess, but I don't recommend it because they don't offer a kids' camp for the 2 year old.

Has anyone done a cruise with just one cabin and a napper? How do you manage naptimes? (My little one would never nap if she could actually see me. And I'm cool with early nights, but I'm not sure how cool I am with sitting in a hallway for 2 hours a day!)

Has anyone done a cruise with just one cabin and a napper? How do you manage naptimes? (My little one would never nap if she could actually see me. And I'm cool with early nights, but I'm not sure how cool I am with sitting in a hallway for 2 hours a day!)

Having an outside cabin, or if your budget allows, a balcony is great when you have a napper. We have always had four of us in one cabin and being able to see what is going on outside makes it feel like you aren't missing as much. If she won't nap if she can see you, then save up for a balcony; however you'll be spoiled for the extra outdoor space and will find it hard to have anything less in the future lol!

Archived