EXCELLENT week on the Poesia

familyof4cruising

We just returned from the 12/26 sailing of the Poesia. A little background...we have cruised over 50 times, but this was our first cruise on MSC. We were fortunate enough to get upgraded 2 weeks before our sailing. A very pleasant surprise! It was a very relaxing cruise. The food in my whole family's opinion was excellent. My youngest is a picky eater and he never had an issue. My cabin steward and waiter were amazing. Love the lounge chairs by the pool. At first I thought they would be annoying, but midweek realized they were perfect to read while in the sun and to keep cover. The ship is immaculate. One of my favorite ships when it comes to the layouts of the lounges and decor. The cabins had plenty of storage.

Yes they make all announcements in 5 languages...but not anything that bothered us. I am actually impressed that most of the staff could speak all those languages.

Pool games were different then the same old on the other cruise lines. Nice to see different games. There were movies at 7:00 and 11:00 by the pool. TV in the cabins had CNN, HLN, TNT movies and ESPN. The kids Peter Pan drink package is an excellent deal.

The only thing ( which I guess I read wrong) that I would change (and I will for next Christmas' cruise) is late seating dining. I thought it was 8:00, but turned out to be at 9:00 with 9:30 on the last night.

Water and ice tea were available for lunch and dinner. All juices were available for breakfast.

Internet was very inexpensive. First 10 minutes were $5.00 and .14 for every minute after.

If you have any question feel free to ask. We already booked for the same week next year and we are looking forward to it.

I think it was 3 nights. Last night it was only at 7:00pm. I can not remember what they were, but I will check with my kids in the morning. I remember that I had seen some of the movies already, so we never went.

I wish they would have used it during the day. I remember Carnival had music concerts during the day on their screen.

Thanks for posting your review.

If second seating wasn't till 9pm what time was first seating?

It was 6:30, which would have been fine with us.

I was on the ship the week before and we had 2nd seating and it was 8:00pm.

All week? That's interesting...not sure what to do with next year now. It was 8:30 the first night, then 9:00 all week except the last night at 9:30. Too late for us, but 8:00 would have been perfect.

What time was early seating for you?

That's great news about the Poesia! I am leaving for Jam Cruise on the Poesia out of Fort Lauderdale tomorrow! (my first cruise!). A couple questions:

1. Do you know the price for a couples massage (just the basic/cheapest)?

2. Did you pre-order any of the special services packages? I requested the "touch of class" asti champagne and strawberries months ago and never heard anything back (and I gave them my debit card info). I am trying to make it a surprise and don't want them to confirm with me in person with my boyfriend standing RIGHT there. Any thoughts?

3. I've read that beer is $3, mixed $5.95. Is this accurate?

4. In the room, how many electrical outlets? (should we bring a surge protector/pluggable outlets)

5. Did you have cell phone service during the days at sea?

6. Is there a sit down dinner every night with waiters, or is it sometimes buffet?

Phew! I know it's alot of questions, but I'm a newbie and have no idea what to expect!!

It was 6:30, which would have been fine with us.

All week? That's interesting...not sure what to do with next year now. It was 8:30 the first night, then 9:00 all week except the last night at 9:30. Too late for us, but 8:00 would have been perfect.

What time was early seating for you?

One night it was 8:15pm for the late seating. I think it was the gala dinner. early seating was 5:30 I believe.

That's great news about the Poesia! I am leaving for Jam Cruise on the Poesia out of Fort Lauderdale tomorrow! (my first cruise!). A couple questions:

1. Do you know the price for a couples massage (just the basic/cheapest)?

The cheapest massage I think I saw it was for $79 on port days...not sure about couples.

2. Did you pre-order any of the special services packages? I requested the "touch of class" asti champagne and strawberries months ago and never heard anything back (and I gave them my debit card info). I am trying to make it a surprise and don't want them to confirm with me in person with my boyfriend standing RIGHT there. Any thoughts?

I was sent a package by someone. It was sent to my room on the 2nd day. I checked at the reception desk and it was on my reservation noted.

3. I've read that beer is $3, mixed $5.95. Is this accurate?

My husband bought a bucket of 4 beers and I think the price was $13.80 domestic and $17 for imported. I think a great deal

4. In the room, how many electrical outlets? (should we bring a surge protector/pluggable outlets)

On most cruise ship there us only one by the desk. My room had 2 at the desk area.

5. Did you have cell phone service during the days at sea?

I could text back and forth with no problems. I could call, but I had reception issues.

6. Is there a sit down dinner every night with waiters, or is it sometimes buffet?

There is both except on gala nights there is only sit down. The buffet was very good also.

Phew! I know it's alot of questions, but I'm a newbie and have no idea what to expect!!

My answers are in red have a great cruise.

Yeah,, now maybe you can join us on here to talk about your experience so others are not scared away.

Our late dining on all 3 MSC USA cruises were 8pm. I guess the changed it...

We also love the animation team and taking part in the fun quirky very different games. Wasn't Christian a blast? How about Sonya? Both were 2 of our favorites.

We also thought our food was outstanding and plentiful. Our wait staff and other staff members were always pleasant to talk to. Luigi in the main dining room actually ran around getting new stuff for us to try and standing next to us to talk to us. He knew we loved certain dishes and would bring them without asking. It was like being a princess. We have cruised 16 other times and MSC USA cruises remain a favorite for sure.

Our waiter always had ice tea for us at dinner. By the second night he knew my son liked milk with his dessert and he always had it ready for him. I think our sailing the dining times were different, but I think it will go back to the 8:00 dining.

Never tried the Sushi restaurant, but I intend to in December.

I think our sailing the dining times were different, but I think it will go back to the 8:00 dining.

I hope so! I loved the 8pm dining on the Orchestra.

I wish they would stop changing things around though.

Best was the My Time dining on RCCL

Couples massage was $165 during Christmas week 2010.

Early seating was 5:30-5:45pm or so.

There was an outlet in the bathroom on the ceiling and 2 at the desk. There are actually 4 at the desk but 2 are 110v and the other 2 are 220v. Very convenient :)

Sit down dinners each night and buffets each night except gala night.

There was always something to eat late at night, either finger foods in the lounges or at least 2 buffets during the week late at night.

Really enjoyed our week! The pizza was so delicious!

Ate at the Sushi restaurant and was very good. The all you can eat for $30 USD is a great deal...almost anything on the menu is included! Loved the Tempura Udon soup. THe green tea ice cream was yummy too :) Nice choice of vegitarian rolls.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the meaningful review-we enjoyed it. We have been on 40 cruises( in 18 years of marriage)- all lines except Princess. THIS IS OUR IST TRIP ON MSC!

Booked 14 day NY to Quebec then back to NY. Trip is Oct 8. We have some questions for you:

1) What type of accommodation did you have?

2) Was there a hair dryer in the cabin?

3) Is there a bar of soap in the bathroom sink"

4) How many nights were the movies shown on the giant screen?

5) Was there Wii available for the adult games?

6) Is the cruise director a visible member of your daily sightings?

7) Just got off RCCL Christmas cruise. Excellent food & service. Will we be disappointed on Poesia?

Thanks for your time & effort to answer. Since you are experienced cruisers, we will respect your responses.

Sy & Marcella

... We have some questions for you ...

1) What type of accommodation did you have?

Inside cabin. We prefer inside most times as we like to lie in and enjoy the dark. While not huge, our cabin on Poesia was quiet and comfortable which was all we wanted. We were quite happy with the accommodation.

2) Was there a hair dryer in the cabin?

I didn't see one. Others will have to confirm.

3) Is there a bar of soap in the bathroom sink"

There's a liquid soap dispenser (ours was broken). I bought a bar of soap in Portugal.

4) How many nights were the movies shown on the giant screen?

Out of 18 nights there were only 2 movies shown on the big screen. These were mid-cruise, one night at 10pm next night at 10.30pm. The rest of the time the big screen showed a continuous, 24 hour loop of MSC advertising.

5) Was there Wii available for the adult games?

Don't know. Others will need to answer.

6) Is the cruise director a visible member of your daily sightings?

Never saw the cruise director except when she introduced the shows in the main theatre.

7) Just got off RCCL Christmas cruise. Excellent food & service. Will we be disappointed on Poesia?

Difficult. Food is subjective. We found it varied a lot ... from OK to not so good. Food was often not very hot. Waiter service is luck of the draw. Ours was overworked and/or inexperienced and while he was polite and cheerful, he was very slow.

We have cruised Princess, P&O and Celebrity and found MSC didn't compare very well. Brother and sister-in-law who were with us on Poesia have cruised most lines including RCL. They weren't happy with MSC.

Don't get the wrong impression, we didn't hate the cruise. We enjoyed many aspects of it, particularly the ports (ours was a transatlantic cruise, Europe to New York). It's just that there were enough things we didn't think came up to the expected standard to conclude that we could find better value elsewhere. Others have different experiences and different expectations ... and as a result, different opinions.

Archived