Sideways cabin M1842 or similar?

maxmia

Looking at inside sideways cabin on Volendam M1842 TA says its quite a good cabin. We prefer inside cabins for sleeping, and we don't spend much time in them, but we had a bad experience with a Guarantee on Zuiderdam in L5005 (a shoe box) having to move our luggage each time to get to the closet Has anyone had this cabin or a similar please?:confused:

I have not been in this exact cabin, but have been in several of the sideways cabins on other HAL ships. They are wonderful, more spacious, and a great value. Nine of the cruises I have been on have been in sideways cabins, so it should be obvious I have a preference for these. Go for it--you won't regret it!

Dynaglyde:)

I've stayed in a similar cabin on the Volendam, and other R-class ships. It's my first choice of cabin when I sail those ships.

The cabin is larger than other "Large insides", and has a more open floor space. There are a couple of minor negatives about the cabin, which I will mention just so you know.

First, there is no privacy curtain, so it's important to be careful entering the cabin if someone in there could be dressing. :eek:

Second, the bathroom opens directly into the room, so you can't leave the door open with the light on at night.

Third, if the beds are separated it's impossible to open the drawers under them. There's not enough space between them and the sides of the desk and love seat.

Something that couples could consider a minor positive is that the closets are on different walls, so two people can be at their respective closets at the same time.

And those closets don't interfere with opening the bathroom door, as happens in cabins with the usual configuration.

Thank you Ruth, and Roadqueen, Put my mind at rest, will now firmly book this cabin, its a 23 day cruise so I don't want to be too cramped. Have not sailed on the Volendam before I a so looking forward to it.

Barb.

We had one of these on our last cruise and would like one again! How can we ask for one of these specifically?

When you're planning a cruise on any of the S- or R-class ships, go through the deckplans before you book. Make a list of the cabins that are "sideways", then rank them in order of preference.

When you book, ask for the specific cabins you like, in the order you have established. If you really, really want that cabin, have the booking marked "no ungrade".

Check out K 2554 or 2555 on the main deck. It is a handicap cabin but maybe there is some way to request it if a handicapped person does not book it. We were on Ryndam once and the hotel manager had his family on the cruise with him and this is the cabin he chose for them. It is very large.

Gary

I was just wondering if there would be any noise issues with M1842 considering it is on the Dolphin deck. We just booked sideways cabins on the Veendam but we chose main deck locations because of reading that the lower deck had some noise issues. I definitely would book sideways cabins based on the reviews and Ruth C's vast wealth of knowledge as "cave dweller". :D thanks so much Ruth. :cool: Of course we may have a/c issues but that seems to be unique to the Veendam.:eek:

Diane

Archived