Santa Marta

I've just read concerns about Santa Marta on another forum.

Gov.t advice is

We advise against all but essential to travel to the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, including the ‘Lost City’. Armed groups are still active in this area, there is extensive cultivation of illegal drugs and the risk of kidnap remains high. While tour organisers may assure you that the trek to the ‘Lost City’ is safe, we do not believe it to be so. Armed groups are still active in parts of the Sierra Nevada, there is extensive cultivation of illegal drugs and the risk of kidnap remains high. Only visit beach areas and resorts you are reliably advised are safe and should not venture inland as illegal armed groups are active and drugs are grown and processed in the area.

British nationals travelling to the town of Santa Marta are advised to be cautious; two British nationals were robbed at gun point in broad daylight in Santa Marta on 14 August 2010.

A day on the ship then?

ET

I've just read concerns about Santa Marta on another forum.

Gov.t advice is

We advise against all but essential to travel to the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, including the ‘Lost City’. Armed groups are still active in this area, there is extensive cultivation of illegal drugs and the risk of kidnap remains high. While tour organisers may assure you that the trek to the ‘Lost City’ is safe, we do not believe it to be so. Armed groups are still active in parts of the Sierra Nevada, there is extensive cultivation of illegal drugs and the risk of kidnap remains high. Only visit beach areas and resorts you are reliably advised are safe and should not venture inland as illegal armed groups are active and drugs are grown and processed in the area.

British nationals travelling to the town of Santa Marta are advised to be cautious; two British nationals were robbed at gun point in broad daylight in Santa Marta on 14 August 2010.

A day on the ship then?

ET

Grief!!!!! What with that and yellow fever!!!!! Well if we get to go - may be a good day to share a drink!!:D

Hi kruzseeka,

Perhaps we could or maybe Thomsons will re-think (do they think?)

O.V. had to change it's itinerary in 2008. After a couple of stops in Caracas it was changed to where I can't recall. Gun shots could be heard from the ship quite frequently. Cartegena is quite nice but I haven't read the advice for that town.

ET

I wouldn't worry unduly ....there are lots of advisories to different places in the world...I remember several years ago we used to holiday in Eilat in Israel and there were warnings there....we went for seven years and never had a hint of any trouble.....we also went to Gambia about 14 years ago when there were warnings there as well and never had a problem....

I think Jamaica is another place where it is thought not to be safe but loads of people go there on holiday.

I would expect Thomson to follow the advice and not organise trips inland but stick to the beaches and resorts that are deemed 'safe'....

It seems they are advising Brits going into the town to be 'cautious'....well that applies anywhere these days...even London !! :)

But as you say it may be a good day to spend on board!

From what I hear about the state of the ship ( Dream ) it will be far safer OFF the ship at this resort !

We may be more useful on board. We might get conscripted into doing some maintenance on the sewage system, air con. or repairing another blown gasket!:D:D:D

ET

We may be more useful on board. We might get conscripted into doing some maintenance on the sewage system, air con. or repairing another blown gasket!:D:D:D

ET

Must say it does sound tempting being upside down in a void space in the searing heat repairing the waste system, but I think I will give it a miss !

I will be all "eyes and ears" though and may even bring a few "toys" that will check out the state of the air we are breathing,just in case I become another of their hacked off customers.

Archived