Appropriate tip for excursions?

alaskaalaska

What is an appropriate tip for excursions? This is our first cruise and I really don't know what the norm is.....

Were planning the White Pass RR, Helicopter to glacier dog sledding, Flight seeing, and Whale Watching. There are 7 of us, but we are not all going on each excursion- so I'd really just like to know the appropriate amount per person.

TIA!

Thanks! I was guessing around $10 pp on the flights and whale watching.... so, that sounds close to what I was thinking.....

Is the White Pass RR an excursion you tip for? Is there even a guide?

Yes there is a car host, who does a great narration.

Thank you for making this thread, I am so glad that you asked this question! $10 for a flight sounds like a good tip to me, but I have no idea if a PILOT would be insulted by this tip or if it is appropriate. Anyone else with experience with this?

Thank you for making this thread, I am so glad that you asked this question! $10 for a flight sounds like a good tip to me, but I have no idea if a PILOT would be insulted by this tip or if it is appropriate. Anyone else with experience with this?

Absolutely not, I always tip. They gave me a fantastic tour. :)

I have typically tipped about $20 pp for flightseeing tours, also depending on the length of time and if the pilot made the flight special. Many people don't tip at all, so I'm sure if you feel they went above and beyond to make your trip more enjoyable, they would appreciate any tip in recognition.

... if you feel they went above and beyond to make your trip more enjoyable, they would appreciate any tip in recognition.

That's the key point - "above and beyond" rather than a canned speech. I agree with the assessment that most people don't tip on short (under 3 hours or so) excursions. I was on 2 tours in Florida last month and not 1 person tipped the guide on either one and in both cases they did an excellent job. I tipped one but the other just wasn't accessible when he should have been.

tipping is a VERY personal matter. If the guide does an exceptional job, I tip more. I don't thnk there SHOULD be a set number, the word is gratuity normally..and it denotes "gratitude" for the service.

You are correct, there is not a set amount for tips on excursion. I think the OP was just looking for some guidance for tips in those situatons where you did feel the service warranted some special recognition.

We've never had a pilot refuse a tip....or appear to be insulted. In most cases, they seemed pleasantly surprised. Some of the pilots we've flown with have doubled as guides, and others have provided interesting commentary.

I don't think most of them anticipate a tip, but ours were accepted graciously. Let's face it, everyone likes to be recognized for a job well done, and some people don't even say "thank you."

You are correct, there is not a set amount for tips on excursion. I think the OP was just looking for some guidance for tips in those situatons where you did feel the service warranted some special recognition.
:o yep. This is just a hot-button topic for me :o

We've never had a pilot refuse a tip....or appear to be insulted. In most cases, they seemed pleasantly surprised. Some of the pilots we've flown with have doubled as guides, and others have provided interesting commentary.

I don't think most of them anticipate a tip, but ours were accepted graciously. Let's face it, everyone likes to be recognized for a job well done, and some people don't even say "thank you."

I noticed that too! :rolleyes: rude really...

Archived