Pinones

SnorkelLady

We are thinking of going to Pinones and renting bicycles, which sounds like a lot of fun. If we take a taxi from the Pan Am pier, will the driver know how to get to Pinones, and where the COPI bike rental is? About how much will it cost? To return to the pier, how do we get a taxi?

This sounds like a wonderful day and we are looking forward to it!

Beware of the bike rentals in Pinones. My brother and I did just that in Pinones last year. The bikes are in very poor condition, rideable, but bare threaded tires, uncomfortable seats, etc. We rented them for $10 an hour, rode on the bike trails in Pinones, and it was fun, but the bikes were pretty bad.

I will be in San Juan in 2 weeks and I plan on renting from a private company. I don't know the name, but they are located on Isla Verde Ave. which is just a short ride to Pinones, in fact the bike trail extends from there to the Isla Verde area near the airport.

I don't know for sure about the taxi fare, but at least $20.

Hope this helps.:)

Rainforestgirl, thanks for your wealth of information, and willingness to share it. While in P.R., I want to go to a "pig roast", or whatever they call them. I am from Memphis, TN., which we proudly claim the "BBQ Capital of the World."

Can you direct me on where to go? I have been to Pinones a couple times, and sampled the fare. However, I found myself nervous because of the conditions, the food stands being open-air, the flies, some unsanitary conditions, etc.

So if I go to a hog roast, how could I be sure of food-safety regulations being observed and enforced?

Thanks for any input.

Pete

Rainforestgirl' date=' thanks for your wealth of information, and willingness to share it. While in P.R., I want to go to a "pig roast", or whatever they call them. I am from Memphis, TN., which we proudly claim the "BBQ Capital of the World."

Can you direct me on where to go? I have been to Pinones a couple times, and sampled the fare. However, I found myself nervous because of the conditions, the food stands being open-air, the flies, some unsanitary conditions, etc.

So if I go to a hog roast, how could I be sure of food-safety regulations being observed and enforced?

Thanks for any input.

Pete[/quote']

No problem- I am glad it helps.

About the pig....I will do my best, but as a local, I can't name restaurant names.

The places are called Lechoneras. If you are only in port for the day, it is a bit tricky to get to Guavate ( roast pork heaven!). Guavate is great and cheap! A huge plate for about $7. But it would require a car rental (or a really pricey taxi). They are open 7 days a week, but only from about 11am-5pm. It is about 45m-1hr from the cruise pier.

There is a restaurant in OSJ that has a lechon (it is just a block up from Pier 4, behind the Sheraton....they also have free Salsa lessons), but they usually sell out before 6pm. I thought it was ok, but not nearly as juicy as a Guavate pig. The same place opened a restaurant in SJ on Isla Verde Ave that should have the lechon all evening.

Wilo Benet also opened a Lechonera in Condado at a hotel on Ashford Ave. It is much more expensive.

I have had roast pig at several places in Guavate and it's awesome, but Latin Roots in OSJ did a pretty good job too. I also tried Wilo's Veritas, which was very expensive and very good. If you can't make it to Guavate, I'm sure you'll have a great meal at Latin Roots.

Archived