Chilkoot Charters in Skgway

theshowmestate

I'm guessing this is a pretty safe bet for the White Pass RR excursion in Skagway. I like what our ship has to offer however I'm thinking Chilkoot's pricing will be better plus they have photo op stops listed. What type of experiences have folks had with this company. We're debating between the White Pass Summit Bus & RR trip and the Yukon Bus & RR trip, the later being our preference however it leaves at 7:30 and our in port time is 7:15, I'm thinking we'd barely make it. Thanks!

I'm guessing this is a pretty safe bet for the White Pass RR excursion in Skagway. I like what our ship has to offer however I'm thinking Chilkoot's pricing will be better plus they have photo op stops listed. What type of experiences have folks had with this company. We're debating between the White Pass Summit Bus & RR trip and the Yukon Bus & RR trip, the later being our preference however it leaves at 7:30 and our in port time is 7:15, I'm thinking we'd barely make it. Thanks!

We did the Yukon/Caribou crossing tour, and it was great. For that tour, we chose an 8:30am start on the tour bus, and returned on the train. The only place I saw that option was on the page where you made your reservation, I didn't see it in the description anywhere.

They want your business, and they've been working around these ship schedules for years. I guarantee you they have it figured out. You should contact them for information about your tour/port times. Also, we waited about 15 minutes for a small group from a different ship. I have no idea if they were slow pokes, or if their ship got in later then ours. No worries, he didn't have to blow through things to make up time.

I just booked w/ them yesterday leaving at 7:30 am and they assured me that I would make it back to the ship, I believe she said about 5:?????, like the post said above, they've been doing this forever and know what they are doing. I'm thinking we will be okay and make it back to ship on time.

I did this tour to Yukon, train up and bus back. It was a beautiful day. I stood outside on the back of the train for a lot of the trip to take photos. We actually had a van on the way back, and the driver stopped at many scenic spots. We saw some bears and he stopped so we could take pictures. It was a great day & I highly recommend the tour. No problems getting back to the ship on time.

I finally made a Lake Bennett trip last year, with Chilkoot Charters, and I highly recommend them. Superb tour operator.

Budget Queen,

My husband are considering the doing the Lake Bennett leg of the train trip with Chilkoot. In your opinion, is it worth the extra time and expense over just taking the train to Fraser and then the bus to the Yukon?

Thanks.

Anne:)

My husband are considering the doing the Lake Bennett leg of the train trip with Chilkoot. In your opinion, is it worth the extra time and expense over just taking the train to Fraser and then the bus to the Yukon?

Thanks.

Anne:)

Hi Anne,

Having been on every run of the train several times, I hope you don't mind me butting in on your question to BQ. In my opinion, taking the train right to Carcross (I lived beside the tracks there for 7 years) is for people which a strong interest in trains and/or the Klondike Gold Rush. Although it's very scenic, so is the bus which travels the next valley to the east of Lake Bennett. I've seen many people on the long train ride sleeping - well, some do on the shorter rides as well, but not as many :)

Murray

Hi Anne,

Having been on every run of the train several times, I hope you don't mind me butting in on your question to BQ. In my opinion, taking the train right to Carcross (I lived beside the tracks there for 7 years) is for people which a strong interest in trains and/or the Klondike Gold Rush. Although it's very scenic, so is the bus which travels the next valley to the east of Lake Bennett. I've seen many people on the long train ride sleeping - well, some do on the shorter rides as well, but not as many :)

Murray

Thanks for your help.

Anne

Archived