Where to store luggage before boarding

Hi, we are taking the southern Caribbean cruise on 1/15, and have a few questions about things to do before boarding:

1. Is it true that RC ship docks are further from the old town in San Juan? We're taking the Serenade of the Seas, and the ticket info says "Pan America pier". I did a little research and it seems to be the one that's not close to anything. But when I booked, the rep clearly said it was in the heart of the old town...

2. Our plane arrives at noon so we'd be interested in walking around the old town before boarding. What's our options in terms of luggage storage--when I called RC, the rep said we could check in the luggage in the afternoon, but the printed check-in time is 5:30pm, so I don't know if it's an option to check in the luggage at 1pm. Has anyone done this before? If this doesn't work, is there any place to store the luggage?

Go to the ship, checkin, and hand over your luggage....then, you can leave the ship if you wish! You can generally begin boarding around 11am.....pay no attention to your docs!!!!

Just make sure you're back on the ship in plenty of time!!!!

If you are staying a night post cruise, or still can change the flight to come in the day ahead (always the best idea with a cruise anyhow) you can have a lot of time to explore Old Town San Juan...it is a neat area to explore, even on a Sunday.

Next time I cruise there I will probably stay down that way so I can explore and then head to the ship the next day...last time day we arrived we relaxed and toured when the ship got back in. Had a lot of fun there...

I would go straight from the airport to the pier. Check in, get your things in your cabin (they are usually available by 1:00 p.m.) and then grab a cab back to old town and walk around for awhile. Do pay very close attention (as suggested above) to when you have to be back on the ship. Usually, it's a couple hours before sailaway time with no leeway!

Hi, we are taking the southern Caribbean cruise on 1/15, and have a few questions about things to do before boarding:

1. Is it true that RC ship docks are further from the old town in San Juan? We're taking the Serenade of the Seas, and the ticket info says "Pan America pier". I did a little research and it seems to be the one that's not close to anything. But when I booked, the rep clearly said it was in the heart of the old town...

2. Our plane arrives at noon so we'd be interested in walking around the old town before boarding. What's our options in terms of luggage storage--when I called RC, the rep said we could check in the luggage in the afternoon, but the printed check-in time is 5:30pm, so I don't know if it's an option to check in the luggage at 1pm. Has anyone done this before? If this doesn't work, is there any place to store the luggage?

Your rep seems to have been "uninformed" :rolleyes: The Pan Am pier where you will board Serenade is about 20/25 minutes (traffic dependent) from old town San Juan. :D

I would also suggest going directly from the airport to the ship and getting checked in and onboard. Once you're onboard, you can decide if you really want to go all the the way over there and explore old San Juan......or just save it for another trip when you have more time. :D

There are 2 forts, architecture, restaurants, shops and lots of neat stuff. We like to arrive a day or 2 early (it's an alll day flight from the West Coast) so we can explore at our leisure before boarding. You're on vacation! :)

I don't know about San Juan, but in Galveston you don't have to personally check in to check in your luggage. Just make sure the luggage is properly tagged and let a porter handlle it (and tip the porter). I just would not do this when people are still getting off the ship, to avoid confusion.

I don't know about San Juan, but in Galveston you don't have to personally check in to check in your luggage. Just make sure the luggage is properly tagged and let a porter handlle it (and tip the porter). I just would not do this when people are still getting off the ship, to avoid confusion.

If they arrive at noon, it will be 1+ PM by the time they get their luggage, get a cab and get checked in at the ship. Not too early.. :)

Archived