duty free cigarettes

As Assateague Island Princes stated, you buy the cartons in the Shops and take them with you at the time of purchase. Prices range from $27.00 (Pall Mall Brand) to $31.00 per carton depending on the Brand.

Also be aware that you are limited by US Customs to 200 cigarettes per person of legal smoking age. That means 1 carton per person may be brought into the US. Over that and you MAY have to pay customs on the cigarettes.

BTW, please do not let any anti smoking banter that may go on due to your question deter you from Cruise Critic:)

Joanie

Since most HAL ships dock at Crown Bay I'd say it's a bit of a hike....actually a shuttle or cab ride....into the main part of town. There is a small shopping area at Crown Bay but I don't recall seeing cigarettes for sale there last time but they keep adding/changing shops so it's possible.

As Assateague Island Princes stated, you buy the cartons in the Shops and take them with you at the time of purchase. Prices range from $27.00 (Pall Mall Brand) to $31.00 per carton depending on the Brand.

Also be aware that you are limited by US Customs to 200 cigarettes per person of legal smoking age. That means 1 carton per person may be brought into the US. Over that and you MAY have to pay customs on the cigarettes.

BTW, please do not let any anti smoking banter that may go on due to your question deter you from Cruise Critic:)

Joanie

Joanie, I thought it was one carton also, however when we were on the Zuidy in Dec going through the Panama Canal my DD was buying cigs and they told her 3 times in the gift shop, by 3 different people, that it was now 2 cartons. In fact they would only sell her 6 cartons since there were 3 people in our party. Wonder if something changed.

Joanie, I thought it was one carton also, however when we were on the Zuidy in Dec going through the Panama Canal my DD was buying cigs and they told her 3 times in the gift shop, by 3 different people, that it was now 2 cartons. In fact they would only sell her 6 cartons since there were 3 people in our party. Wonder if something changed.

Going through Customs at Ft Lauderdale February 2010 after disembarking Westerdam, I was asked by the Customs agent if I had purchased many things to include cigarettes. My reply to him was yes, I had purchased 4 cartons on board the ship. He then informed me that I was only allowed 200 cigarettes, or 1 carton per person, but that since I'd been honest he would not make me pay customs on the extra nor would he confiscate them from me.

Only going by what he said and what I just found on the US Customs web site regarding tobacco:

Duty Free

The following goods may be imported by visitors over 21 years of age into the USA without incurring customs duty: 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 2kg of smoking tobacco or proportionate amounts of each; 0.95l (1qt) of alcoholic beverage; gifts or articles up to a value of US$100.

http://united-states.visahq.com/customs/

Joanie

I was in St Thomas in Nov at Crown Bay and there's a small liquor store right in the port area that had cigarettes for 5/$99. Many brands. I was bummed because I had already bought them on board for $128 for 5 cartons of Marlboros. No questions at customs on if or how many cigarettes I had.

Thanks Joanie, I thought they may have been wrong since I didn't read anything on these boards about the change and you always get the information first here. Guess we were lucky - one of those don't ask don't tell situations.:)

Archived