Pregnancy and seasickness?

Lulubelle6805

I'm normally not prone to motion sickness, and when I cruised at 6 months pregnant, I felt great on the ship, but very queasy during take-off on the plane. It really took me by surprise because like I said, I never get motion sickness.

Well, I'm at the end of the first trimester of my second pregnancy, and unlike the first one, I've had such awful morning sickness for the past couple of months that I was put on Reglan to control the nausea/vomiting (had zero nausea the first time around). I'm going on a cruise in about 2 weeks, and although the morning sickness is gradually subsiding (I've tapered off my medication almost completely), I'm REALLY worried that plane and sea sickness are going to spoil my vacation.

I'll be bringing this up with my doctor next week, but I thought I'd check here, too: has anyone found nausea on the plane or ship to be worse while pregnant, and if so, what did you do about it? I have those wrist bands, but they never worked for my morning sickness, so not so sure about them. Thanks so much for your input!

Where is your cabin located?

I cruised while 21 weeks pregnant. I did not have any morning sickness at all, as a general rule, but to the extent that I was bothered at all on the ship, it was when I was lying in bed. Your cabin position will influence how much motion you feel there. During the day, I was fine. Keep in mind, too, that we were dodging a hurricane and there was rain and thunderstorms for the first two days of our cruise, so waters were rough.

Oh, and just an FYI - 3D movies made me terribly nauseated while pregnant. Just in case you're sailing on one of the newer RCCL ships with 3D movie theaters, you may want to steer clear.

I normally have very little problem with motion sickness, and had none when cruising while pregnant. However, I unexpectedly had quite bad motion sickness while driving on VERY winding roads in New Zealand. What helped was ginger. Ginger, ginger, ginger. Lots of it. I either had candied ginger or ginger ale made with lots of real ginger (so not Canada Dry or anything). It worked like a charm!

Incidentally, I watched the Mythbusters episode on non-pharmaceutical seasickness remedies, and ginger was also the only one that worked for them (although with the caveat that seasickness is a very individual thing).

Where is your cabin located?

We're all the way forward-- is that a bad location for seasickness? Since it's never been a problem, we haven't paid attention to where you should book to avoid it. My mom and grandma are staying midship, which I know is decent for stability, so I guess worst-case scenario, I could always sleep in their room.

As for the suggestions about ginger, I unfortunately can't stand ginger:eek:

That's why I was wondering about whether Dramamine or anything else is safe. I really wish I could tolerate ginger, but I just can't.

I have severe "morning"/all day sickness while pregnant. I take Diclectin for the everyday control and Gravol for breakthru nausea. There are VERY few drugs tested on pregnant women, so none will be labelled as safe in pregnancy. However, MotherRisk in Toronto has recommended the above regime. Good Luck! I will be 17 weeks when we cruise and am praying the nausea settles before then. On the up side, frequent eating makes me feel better, so I couldn't be at a better place!

You'll feel the motion more in the front of the ship than midship or even aft. Maybe you could switch cabins. I would bring your meds with you, in case you need to up the dose. I know how you feel. I was pregnant with twins and was severely sick my entire pregnancy. I was put on Zofran, which was a lifesaver. I think you'll be ok, especially since you still have 2 more weeks before you leave. Talk to your doctor about what you can bring with you. Have a wonderful cruise!

Check with your doctor... I'm a HUGE fan of Dramamine! I had all day sickness with my 3 kids, & my last preg, I took Dramamine on land, to ease the "morning sickness." (& it seemed to be the end of my all day sickenss!)

Since then, I take it on every cruise & life is good! I sure hope you find something that works for you! (I had a bad experience with ginger during my 1st preg, so ginger will NEVER work for me! Also sea bands are not my friend)

Best wishes!

I have severe "morning"/all day sickness while pregnant. I take Diclectin for the everyday control and Gravol for breakthru nausea. There are VERY few drugs tested on pregnant women, so none will be labelled as safe in pregnancy. However, MotherRisk in Toronto has recommended the above regime. Good Luck! I will be 17 weeks when we cruise and am praying the nausea settles before then. On the up side, frequent eating makes me feel better, so I couldn't be at a better place!

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, too. It's just awful, isn't it? If only it was just 'morning' sickness, but the all day nausea is so tough to deal with week after week. I'll be 16 weeks on the cruise, and I'm hoping for the same thing-- that this just magically disappears before the trip. Good luck to you, too, and I hope you feel better very soon.

You'll feel the motion more in the front of the ship than midship or even aft.

Darn. I was afraid of that. I might have to switch after all, though my Mom and Grandma have an inside cabin and we have a balcony, so that would be a tough call.

Starrfish, I'll ask about the Dramamine-- thanks for letting me know this was something you took during pregnancy. If my doctor says it's okay, I'll pack some because I'm not sure if the Reglan will be as effective for motion sickness.

Thanks everyone for these suggestions!

I second the ginger capsule recommendation (the strongest you can find - do you have a Chinese herbalist anywhere near you?). Capsules are what worked on Mythbusters. Then you wouldn't taste ginger, as well.

I never thought about capsules. If you really can't taste the ginger with a capsule, I might give this a try! Thanks for the suggestion.

Darn. I was afraid of that. I might have to switch after all, though my Mom and Grandma have an inside cabin and we have a balcony, so that would be a tough call.

Keep the balcony cabin. I would think the ability to get some fresh air might be helpful.

I had "morning" (LOL!! Yeah right) sickness up until week 21. At 21 weeks it had gradually gotten better but I was still throwing up every morning. I was 21 weeks pg when we cruised. The minute we set sail my stomach was fine. (I had beens sick that am!!) I didn't have any problems the entire trip!! (My MD wouldn't let me take any motion sickness meds) We had a wonderful trip.

I had "morning" (LOL!! Yeah right) sickness up until week 21. At 21 weeks it had gradually gotten better but I was still throwing up every morning. I was 21 weeks pg when we cruised. The minute we set sail my stomach was fine. (I had beens sick that am!!) I didn't have any problems the entire trip!! (My MD wouldn't let me take any motion sickness meds) We had a wonderful trip.

Now that's the kind of story I like to hear! It seems counter-intuitive, but it would be so great if somehow being at sea calmed my stomach! Glad to know you had a great trip. I hope my nausea decides to take a vacation when I do, too!

Edited to add: Just curious, did your 'morning' sickness come back after the cruise?

An update after meeting with my doctor yesterday: she prescribed Zofran and it's already made a HUGE difference in how I feel! Ladies, if you're still dealing with morning sickness/all day sickness, be sure to get help. Reglan worked okay for me, but the Zofran is making me feel human again. My doctor also said that as far as motion sickness goes on the plane or ship, I should take only my prescription medication, not Dramamine or any over-the-counter meds. Though everyone's case is different, and your own doctor may have different recommendations, I hope this helps someone!

I'm now hopeful that this cruise won't be ruined by all day nausea. Woo-hoo!

An update after meeting with my doctor yesterday: she prescribed Zofran and it's already made a HUGE difference in how I feel! Ladies, if you're still dealing with morning sickness/all day sickness, be sure to get help. Reglan worked okay for me, but the Zofran is making me feel human again. My doctor also said that as far as motion sickness goes on the plane or ship, I should take only my prescription medication, not Dramamine or any over-the-counter meds. Though everyone's case is different, and your own doctor may have different recommendations, I hope this helps someone!

I'm now hopeful that this cruise won't be ruined by all day nausea. Woo-hoo!

Wonderful news Lulubelle! Have a great cruise!!! :)

Archived