Cruising is like flying

ilm28411

Have you noticed how Carnival has added extra fees to be on certain levels, midship, aft and cost more for prime space. I think they are following the airlines and trying to get as much money as possible. You used to be able and click for a balcony and the price said $699.00 but when your done choosing your room the price goes up a few hundred dollars depending on what stateroom you reserve. Has anyone else come across this and what are your thoughts. Thanks

It's actually been like this for as long as I've been cruising. However, the new booking engine on Carnival's website has just made things more confusing, mainly for newbies. It's always been more expensive to be midship than forward or aft on the same deck. It's always been more to go up a deck in the same spot. But on the old booking engine, you would just see the total price, right in front of you. Now, you see a base price, then they start adding an amount per person per day to go here or there. It's not as straight forward as it used to be. Most people are not happy at all with the new engine, but it would seem that they're pricing the rooms the same.

There still are deals to get the free upgrades: pay for a 4A and move to a 4E, and things like that. I find that alot under the past guest rates and other rates. It just looks really weird the way they do it on the new booking engine.

I agree - it doesn't seem like they've really changed the price structure, they're just showing it differently. If you're used to the "old way", then you knew that a 4A was cheaper than a 4C, and the main difference between the two was the location. The new booking engine doesn't really show the different category names like the old one, but the end result is the same.

Have you noticed how Carnival has added extra fees to be on certain levels, midship, aft and cost more for prime space. I think they are following the airlines and trying to get as much money as possible. You used to be able and click for a balcony and the price said $699.00 but when your done choosing your room the price goes up a few hundred dollars depending on what stateroom you reserve. Has anyone else come across this and what are your thoughts. Thanks

What they actually did was align themselves with the rest of the cruise industry... the more desirable the cabin the higher the price...

:)

Ya, I've noticed that too. It's sooo weird, it's as if they are a publicly traded company trying to make a profit. Strange.

My sentiments exactly. I see nothing odd about it.

Kinda like auto makers. You want a new truck? Fine. Add a fancy stereo and the price goes up. Add 4WD and the price goes up. And so on...

It's always been more expensive to be midship than forward or aft on the same deck.

Not quite true. A few years ago, all cabins of the same type on the same deck would be the same category. For example, all oceanview cabins on the Riviera deck used to be 6A's (excluding portholes), whether they were forward, midship, or aft. Now, forward or aft oceanview's are 6A's, while midship oceanview's are 6B's, so you pay more to be midship.

Carnival has definitely created new ways to increase revenue (and cut costs), and this is one of the many ways of doing so.

Is anybody surprised that Carnival made over 2 BILLION dollars in pure revenue in 2010, while so many other companies are barely struggling to break even...??

Cruise prices have always depended upon the cabin category chosen. Like every business from airlines to grocery stores, they advertise with a loss leader price. That's why prices are advertised with the word "from".

Nothing new here.

When they recategorized the cabin categories last year, that changed rates. It used to be you could buy an inside or outside cabin-all the same price in each category. Then they added balconies which brought another price range. When more premium cabins were added to ship building (premium, aftwraps,a couple categories of suites, etc.) those added another level of pricing.

That's the way businesses work.

And, no, I don't think cruises are same as airlines at all; even though the pricing structure is similar. On airlines, there are a certain percentage of seats sold at the low, low "from" price - which rarely exceeds 10-14% of the total inventory. When those seats are full, the price rises...and so forth. The difference is that with a higher rate on a cruise ship, you usually get better accommodations or a more desirable cabin. With few exceptions, that's not the case with airlines.

Not quite true. A few years ago, all cabins of the same type on the same deck would be the same category. For example, all oceanview cabins on the Riviera deck used to be 6A's (excluding portholes), whether they were forward, midship, or aft. Now, forward or aft oceanview's are 6A's, while midship oceanview's are 6B's, so you pay more to be midship.

Carnival has definitely created new ways to increase revenue (and cut costs), and this is one of the many ways of doing so.

Is anybody surprised that Carnival made over 2 BILLION dollars in pure revenue in 2010, while so many other companies are barely struggling to break even...??

Isn't that the prime function of all, for profit, companies?

Hauling passenger/tourists around various oceans is incidental to the making of profit.

Once upon a time all the cabins on one deck were the same price- so booking an aft cabin on one deck cost me the same price as if I booked a side one.

Then it all changed and those aft balconies are now out of my budget.

Midship is a well sought after spot so it makes sense to charge more.

But one cabin over will cost me 50pp cheaper- So I get that area 8B

All cruise lines do this, as well as resorts, hotels, Real Estate, etc. Premium room, premium price. So please don't blame Carnival for keeping up with the hospitality industry.

I agree. I believe Carnival does what they can to appeal to everyone's budget. Want to spend more, no problem, book a suite. Want to travel with the family? No problem, book a family room. Couple traveling on a limited budget, they seem to have that covered too.

The area which Carnival appears to be "behind" are single bookings. I'm not sure I'd be willing to be charged 200% for a cabin for one. I can see why single travelers might book elsewhere.

In the end, we decide how much we are going to spend on our vacation, and plan accordingly.

1.8 billion in net profit on a 13.2 billion income is a 13% profit in 2009. That's not an exorbitant profit margin for large corporations. I run my business operations at 20% profit and many companies are running at gross margins much higher--Xerox corporation runs at a 40% profit for instance based on their 2009 results.

It's actually been like this for as long as I've been cruising. However, the new booking engine on Carnival's website has just made things more confusing, mainly for newbies. It's always been more expensive to be midship than forward or aft on the same deck.

You are totally correct. Nothing new and some cabins they consider to be an upgrade, aren't to me.

To me, nothing like the airlines.

At first glance, it does appear like a bait and switch ("Wow, these prices seem lower.") Then, when you proceed it's 13 extra dollars a day if you want mid-ship, etc.....

But it's pretty much the same as it was. Instead of listing everything by the confusing numbers (8A, 8K, 8J, 8GTY) which I can honestly say I never fully grasped, it's now kinda "dumbed down." And I thank Carnival for that!!:D

Archived