Self-Guided to El Yunque After 1:00 pm??

YankeeClipper581

I will be in PR in March as a stop on the HAL Eurodam. My GF has her heart set on seeing El Yunque, and from what I've read on other posts, renting a car and doing it ourselves seems to be the most desirable option. My concern is that we are not scheduled in port until 1:00 pm, and do not depart until 11:00 pm.

Will this provide enough time to still rent a car, drive to the rain forest, and see the sights before the park closes?

Or are we better off to take a guided tour to avoid the delays associated with renting a car and driving ourselves there?

If renting is still the way to go, can anyone recommend a rental agency that will fit with our schedule? (pick-up car about 1:30, return about 8:00 pm)

Or if a guided tour is best, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

The park doesn't close until 6 i thought? It will take about an hour or less to get there. You could pick up your car at the sheraton old san Juan they have a hertz counter there. It would be closest for HAL. I think it would be tight but you could do it. You'll have at least 2 hours there, and there are other things to do and see after you get to the gate that closes at night. I found a very detailed driving tour for el yunque online and it was very helpful. I will have to find it and post the link here later.. Still in PR right now!

• 2 weeks later...

:p I, too, will be here in March and I have done lots of research. El Yunque's website, if it is allowed to be posted, is http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/caribbean/index.shtml . The forest is open from 7:30am until 6pm but the El Portal Rain Forest center does closes at 5pm. It says the drive of 25+ miles can be done in one hour. If you are a hiker, their most popular hike, La Mina, can be completed in about 1 hr.

I'd say it is well worth going there even if it is for a brief period. From posts here and elsewhere, I have reserved a rental from Charlie Car Rental. Rates are great and given good reviews. You may want to email them to get their opinion as to whether their check-in process would work for you. They do have shuttle service from the cruise pier to their facility.

I have not done any research on private tours to this area. Good luck! - - Ray

Archived