Things to do near LA pier?

sally r

We are on the NCL Sun for a back to back cruise. We will have a day in LA between cruises. Is there anything interesting near by? My DH thinks there is a nice shopping area at the port but I don't remember a thing. Any suggestions?

If your in San Pedro...I would consider taking a cab to Long Beach. It's only about a 15 min ride and it is a world apart from San Pedro. Seaport Villiage in San Pedro has seen better days. There is a materplan for renovation but this is a ways in the future.

The Aguarium of the Pacific, a downtown area for shopping and great food, a nice little villiage on the water for strolling...and this is all within walking distance of one another.

Thank you both!

Long Beach was also an option for us. We are just not sure how far away things are..but 15 minutes isn't too bad.

Port's O Call Village was what my DH remembered and it looks like a trollley from the terminal is available.

Gee, I just hope it doesn't rain while we are there:D !

The historic trolley does go to Seaport Village from the far west side of the San Pedro cruise terminal parking lot. It also stops at the Maritime Museum though, which I can heartily recommend if you have interests at all in old ships and the history of the sea.

Cabrillo Marine Biology center is also interesting.

I would also recommend the aquarium in Long Beach, and a tour of the Queen Mary can also be fun.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are sailing out of San Pedro in November, 2005. We are considering a day trip to Catalina Island prior to our cruise. There is a shuttle boat that runs out of Long Beach and San Pedro. Another possibility is to take a gondola ride which is located in Long Beach.

Be sure to check the times on the Catalina boats. Some are substantially faster than others and the slow one takes a l-o-n-g time to go those "26 miles across the sea". Also, if you are at all prone to seasickness take your meds for this trip. It can be notoriously choppy sailing. Assuming you have enough time you'll enjoy Catalina.

Another possibility: rent from Enterprise at LAX and stay in Santa Monica, which is very nice and much more interesting than the port area. There are tons of shops and restaurants, the Santa Monica Pier, a beautiful walk along the beach, and the 3rd Street Promenade (pedestrian only shopping area). Enterprise has a location in San Pedro and I presume they can shuttle you from there to the pier.

What cruise are you taking? I'm going to be on the Sapphire Princess on Nov. 12.

Archived