Oosterdam with Teen & 20 yr old in March, Would you do it?

pjtulsa

We are considering cruising over Spring Break on the Oosterdam with our 16yr & 20 yr olds. We have Cruised Disney (didnt like) NCL (so-so) & Carnival (Kids Enjoy) and are worried about booking Holland America based on the thought that it is only for "Older" people. My kids are well behaved and enjoy dressing up and good food but I worry that they will not find other kids their ages.

Have you ever sailed with kids in this age range and did they have a good time?

Would you do it again?

Thanks for your opinions,

Our experience with HAL was that our younger children, ages 8 and 12, had a fabulous time, but that our son, age 18 when we took him on a transatlantic, had a more difficult time finding a "niche". HAL has very good child and teen programming, but little for the 18 -21 set. Too old for the teen program but too young (officially) for the bars, a 20 year old may not find many areas/activities of interest.

On spring break, I am sure you will find far more families traveling that we have on our off season cruising. With that may come more 20somethings.

Our experience with HAL was that our younger children, ages 8 and 12, had a fabulous time, but that our son, age 18 when we took him on a transatlantic, had a more difficult time finding a "niche". HAL has very good child and teen programming, but little for the 18 -21 set. Too old for the teen program but too young (officially) for the bars, a 20 year old may not find many areas/activities of interest.

On spring break, I am sure you will find far more families traveling that we have on our off season cruising. With that may come more 20somethings.

Carnival has the same problem with the 18-20 age group... we call it the "Lost Group" :) On our last cruise over Christmas in 2009 our son found a lot of kids his age but since Spring Break differs across the country I am just not sure what to think.. but we are still considering it because of the price compared to other cruises that week.

I am waiting till we have an empty nest for my Transatlantic Cruise for the reason you stated. Plus the cost x2 is much less than x4 :D

Is this a one week Mexico cruise? If so, I think your kids may be very happy. Younger folks seem to go on this shorter cruise, as it's also pretty affordable as well. There most likely be quite a few kids that age as it is spring break time. Even on the holiday cruise I was just on, the teens got together, hung out, and seemed to enjoy themselves a lot. The weather should be great so lots of outdoor activities, as well. I say, Go for it!

We took our then 18 year old DD who was a senior in high school. She had fun but she hung with us the whole time. We were on the Westerdam, Eastern Caribbean the week after Thanksgiving. She told us later that if she could choose she would rather go on a ship with more activites ie. water slide, climbing wall etc. but she did said she had a great time! I LOVE Hal but I could see how the over 17 under 21 crowd might not make it their first choice.

We took our three kids on their first cruise in May on the Eurodam to the Mediterranean. Our sons were 17 and 19. They loved the cruise. However they did not try to find other young people to hang out with. Our daughter (age 10) loved Club Hal. Our oldest went because he loves history and loved the various ports we toured. The 17 year old loved the live entertainment on board. Specifically Aaron Tessis on acoustic guitar in the Crow's Nest. He went up every evening to listen. I was actually surprised at how much they enjoyed the cruise. As a matter of fact I booked a second Mediterranean cruise with our oldest for this May. He wanted to get over to Greece and the Eastern Med as we were in the Western Med for that first cruise. He had a choice as to how he wanted to spend money he had earned working and immediately said he wanted to cruise. We also are taking a cruise to Bermuda in June. When our 17 yo found out he got his 22 year old best friends convinced and now they are booked as well. (his friends are identical twins).

Diane

Hi! I have been on the Oosterdam twice both cruising down to mexico.....I am 24 now, but was 19 and 20 when i cruised. I was very hesitant about going on an "older crowd" ship but ended up having one of the better times on both of these sailings! Especially if your going during spring break your kids should be fine finding young people. As long as they are outgoing and open to meeting new people! I love the Oosterdam and for the $399 price right now for mexico it's very tempting to not go! :) Good luck and I hope you have fun!

We are considering cruising over Spring Break on the Oosterdam with our 16yr & 20 yr olds. We have Cruised Disney (didnt like) NCL (so-so) & Carnival (Kids Enjoy) and are worried about booking Holland America based on the thought that it is only for "Older" people. My kids are well behaved and enjoy dressing up and good food but I worry that they will not find other kids their ages.

Have you ever sailed with kids in this age range and did they have a good time?

Would you do it again?

Thanks for your opinions,

I've taken several HAL cruises with my chiildren who are now teens. They love it! In fact, just yesterday, I was considering another cruise line due to the itinerary. My 14 year old begged me to reconsider!

I'm not sure about a 20 year old, though. There might be families with different age groups during spring break.

Thanks to all,,, Especially Jenn since she has been there :p

I think due to the price and the fact that flights are good we are going to go ahead and try it.,.. What's the worst that can happen, were on vacation & on a ship for 7 days with No Cooking and No Cleaning,.. that alone will make me happy

Thanks Again,

I stopped going on vacation with my parents when i was 15.My dad worked for TWA my parents went all over the world i had the same advantage so i did it on my own or with other TWA brats what a life let your kids go cut the cord mine did and that was 40 years ago been traveling every since.

I stopped going on vacation with my parents when i was 15.My dad worked for TWA my parents went all over the world i had the same advantage so i did it on my own or with other TWA brats what a life let your kids go cut the cord mine did and that was 40 years ago been traveling every since.

I was a Delta Brat so did my share of traveling too. Not sure what you are talking about with "Cut the Cord" but lucky for me my kids enjoy traveling with us but in their own cabin.

I was a Delta Brat so did my share of traveling too. Not sure what you are talking about with "Cut the Cord" but lucky for me my kids enjoy traveling with us but in their own cabin.

I also grew up traveling with my parents as my father toured extensively with the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra.

I am grateful that our oldest kids, at the ages of 18 and 20, still enjoy traveling with us. I am traveling with my 20 year old son in May to the Mediterranean on the Noordam and we are both excited. I would think something was amiss in our relationship if our kids didn't want to travel with us. We have always had fantastic vacations together as a family. :D Our daughter (age 11) was given a choice of rooming with us or her brother when we cruise to Bermuda and she chose her brother's room. So they do like their bit of independent space. :rolleyes:

Diane

Living near San Diego I cruise on the big O several times over a two year period. I don't have kids, but I have never seen anything that would upset a parent. Go, take the kids, and I am sure that you and the kids will have a good time. I love the pizza, so will the kids!

I just got off the Oosterdam yesterday. :( I think your kids will have a great time.

If I could give a suggestion. Buy them each a inexpensive digital camera. There are about 5 classes offered daily called Digital Photography. They will learn how to make short video's, how to stitch pictures together, color corrections etc. I am 55 and I know my kids would have loved the classes as much at the "older" group.

Susan from Indiana

I just got off of the Oosterdam yesterday after a vacation with my 18 and 22 yo sons. Excursions where the highlight. In Puerto Vallarta my eldest hiked before a beachside lunch and tour of old PV, in Mazatlan they spent the day ATVing and parasailing on Stone Island, and in Cabo it was jet skiing for the 18 yo and sailing on an Americas Cup boat for the 22 yo.

Needless to say, my kids had a blast and I think yours will too! :D :D

I just got off the Oosterdam yesterday. :( I think your kids will have a great time.

If I could give a suggestion. Buy them each a inexpensive digital camera. There are about 5 classes offered daily called Digital Photography. They will learn how to make short video's, how to stitch pictures together, color corrections etc. I am 55 and I know my kids would have loved the classes as much at the "older" group.

Susan from Indiana

Susan,

Glad you enjoyed the cruise and the classes. I was reading that they offered those and thought that it was something I would like to attend... as for my son, well lets say he could probably teach the classes as he produces professional videos from time to time but doesnt seem to have time to teach his mommy:)

Archived