First-timer questions

karlsselindh

We just booked the QV January 30 Hawaii cruise as a last-minute getaway. We've never sailed Cunard before, and I have a few questions.

I've accessed our voyage personalizer on-line, and am I correct in assuming that this is our only documentation -- we will receive no paper documents?

The personalizer gives information about shore excursions and the opportunity to book in advance. If you book excursions in advance, is your credit card charged immediately, or is the cost merely added to your on-board account and settled at the end of the cruise? Do some of you wait until you're on board before booking excursions? Is availability usually still good if you wait? The personalizer gives no information about any cancellation policy. What if sickness or injury prevents one from taking a shore excursion?

We're confirmed for 2nd dinner seating and waitlisted for first -- that's in the personalizer. However, nowhere can I find the actual times of first and second seating. Does anyone know? We requested a table for two, and are such tables easily available? On other cruises I've been on, the maitre d' was stationed in the dining room on embarcation day to change or confirm dining assignments. Is that true on QV? Is dinner in the Lido buffet a decent alternative to the dining room on some nights?

Thanks in advance for any information. We're really looking forward to experiencing Cunard!

1st seating is 6.00pm, second seating is 8.30pm. Yes the Maitre d' will be there. Yes, the Lido is a good alternative, whether buffet or speciality dining. If the ship is full and you've booked last minute, then you might not be so lucky getting your table for two.

Your excursions are put onto your account so you don't actually pay for them until you receive your credit card bill when you come home.

There are usually some spaces left on the excursions after you board, but if you want to make absolutely sure, you're best to book now. If you are sick, cancel as soon as you can and you won't be charged.

In your voyage personaliser, if you click on the Go Green button, you will not get any documents through the post, only online information.

Is there a particular reason for choosing first sitting and a table for two? The first sitting is awfully early and you run the risk of being rushed through in order to get you out on time, as for tables for two - one of the great delights of cruising, in my opinion, is the conversation at the table wit people from different walks of life and different experiences. I always request a table for 8 and I would hate a two seater. The shows are scheduled for both sittings and you don't have to rush into dinner after a trip.

We just booked the QV January 30 Hawaii cruise as a last-minute getaway. We've never sailed Cunard before, and I have a few questions.

It looks like your questions have been answered. How nice that you can do a last minute getaway!

We have a greet and meet planned for the first sea day, and if you would like to join us, please email me at : Eventschair@aol.com, subject Queen Victoria with your cabin number, so that I can send you a reminder once on board.

You may get some more ideas if you read the roll call. The Meet and Greet is a nice occasion to meet fellow cruise critic members.

Meet & Greet, January 14 @ 2:00 p.m. in ConneXions 2 on deck 3

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Lorraine:)

Meet & Greet

Queen of the Queen -Lorraine & Sid - Stamford, Connecticut

Hazelnut1106- Susan & Mike - Torrance, California

Juicyjuju - Julie & Chester - Oakland, California

CGreenhills - Claire and Aidan - Newcastle Upon Tyne

Beavergal – John & Patti, Fairfax, Virginia

Voyager X - Michael & Robert - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Alpacas - Larry & Helen - Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

Dorinda - Dee & John, San Francisco Bay Area

Joe Dandy - Joe & Elaine - Great Neck, Long Island (New York)

Vagabonde – Jim & Mirelle – Atlanta, Georgia

It looks like your questions have been answered. How nice that you can do a last minute getaway!

We have a greet and meet planned for the first sea day, and if you would like to join us, please email me at : Eventschair@aol.com, subject Queen Victoria with your cabin number, so that I can send you a reminder once on board.

You may get some more ideas if you read the roll call. The Meet and Greet is a nice occasion to meet fellow cruise critic members.

Meet & Greet, January 14 @ 2:00 p.m. in ConneXions 2 on deck 3

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Meet & Greet

Queen of the Queen -Lorraine & Sid - Stamford, Connecticut

Hazelnut1106- Susan & Mike - Torrance, California

Juicyjuju - Julie & Chester - Oakland, California

CGreenhills - Claire and Aidan - Newcastle Upon Tyne

Beavergal – John & Patti, Fairfax, Virginia

Voyager X - Michael & Robert - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Alpacas - Larry & Helen - Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

Dorinda - Dee & John, San Francisco Bay Area

Joe Dandy - Joe & Elaine - Great Neck, Long Island (New York)

Vagabonde – Jim & Mirelle – Atlanta, Georgia

Hi Lorraine, none of my business but these CC get togethers are more usually held up in the Commodore Club at around 2.30 to 3pm on the first sea day. Sadly I won't be with you but do have fun.

Is there a particular reason for choosing first sitting and a table for two? The first sitting is awfully early and you run the risk of being rushed through in order to get you out on time, as for tables for two - one of the great delights of cruising, in my opinion, is the conversation at the table wit people from different walks of life and different experiences. I always request a table for 8 and I would hate a two seater. The shows are scheduled for both sittings and you don't have to rush into dinner after a trip.

Being a gay couple is the main reason we ask for a table for 2. A few years back we were seated accidently at a table for 6. There were no real problems, but we could see the unease of some of our tablemates, so we opt for more privacy.

Hi Lorraine, none of my business but these CC get togethers are more usually held up in the Commodore Club at around 2.30 to 3pm on the first sea day. Sadly I won't be with you but do have fun.

Thanks for your input, I have been in contact with Cunard and requested the Commodore Club, however, they have assigned us to ConneXions 2 and have offerred us complementary coffee/tea. I wasn't about to question their decision. We are meeting at 2:00 p.m., as I had requested, on the first sea day.

I am doing a b2b and Cunard have made the same arrangements for the January 13th cruise.

On another note, I enjoy reading your journals. Keep up the good work!

Hi,

My new hubbie and I are on your cruise, it's our first too.

Nothing to add to your questions except to say Lorraine (Queen of the Queen) meant 2pm on the 31st not the 14th, she's getting herself confused with her b2b cruising :p

We've also asked for a table for 2 (honeymooning!) but actually I'm now leaning towards a group table having already met so many friendly folks on here.

Hope to see you onboard

Claire (and Aidan)

Thanks for your input, I have been in contact with Cunard and requested the Commodore Club, however, they have assigned us to ConneXions 2 and have offerred us complementary coffee/tea. I wasn't about to question their decision. We are meeting at 2:00 p.m., as I had requested, on the first sea day.

I am doing a b2b and Cunard have made the same arrangements for the January 13th cruise.

Well that's news to me. I rang Cunard in the UK prior to my recent crossing and asked if they had a Cruise Critic sign for the CC meet. The lady I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about, neither did the supervisor she conferred with.

You get a dedicated room plus complementary tea and coffee. I couldn't even get a second-hand sign :confused:

I have only ever requested the attendance of any on board personnel once and the hostess turned up. The reason that there is free coffee on offer is that outside Connexions there is a coffee and tea machine that is free. We always meet in the CC by the piano and then cocktails are available. There is never a sign unless someone prints one. There is a CC book which will either be behind the bar or in the library. This is just another example, if further proof was needed, that shoreside are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Well that's news to me. I rang Cunard in the UK prior to my recent crossing and asked if they had a Cruise Critic sign for the CC meet. The lady I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about, neither did the supervisor she conferred with.

You get a dedicated room plus complementary tea and coffee. I couldn't even get a second-hand sign :confused:

Hi

If anyone is interested in knowing my contact, please email me at : Eventschair@aol.com, subject: Meet & Greet

I assume they will be setting up a coffee/tea service since they were explicit that they would also include orange juice! No other refreshments!

On other lines they are so much more receptive to CC, and I think Cunard shore staff could learn a little from them about customer relations. On our previous Cunard cruises, we had only four people attending. For the two upcoming cruises I have over 20 guests on each M&G list. Perhaps the word will get out to Cunard and they will begin to be more receptive to recognize CC.

Hi

If anyone is interested in knowing my contact, please email me at : Eventschair@aol.com, subject: Meet & Greet

I assume they will be setting up a coffee/tea service since they were explicit that they would also include orange juice! No other refreshments!

On other lines they are so much more receptive to CC, and I think Cunard shore staff could learn a little from them about customer relations. On our previous Cunard cruises, we had only four people attending. For the two upcoming cruises I have over 20 guests on each M&G list. Perhaps the word will get out to Cunard and they will begin to be more receptive to recognize CC.

I have had between 30 and 40 at a previous get together and no-one from Cunard came. Why you would particularly want tea and coffee in such a dingy room is a mystery to me. Chacun a son gout.

Take the Cap'n's advice and move your meet to the Commodore. It's a much nicer place with a handy bar. If you get a good crowd, there will be nowhere to sit or chat otherwise.

Anyway, who wants tea and coffee on the afternoon of the first day at sea?

Cunard staff on the beach have no idea whether they're sending you on a boat, train or plane.

Stewart

I have only ever requested the attendance of any on board personnel once and the hostess turned up. The reason that there is free coffee on offer is that outside Connexions there is a coffee and tea machine that is free. We always meet in the CC by the piano and then cocktails are available. There is never a sign unless someone prints one. There is a CC book which will either be behind the bar or in the library. This is just another example, if further proof was needed, that shoreside are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Captn next time your onboard please ask the bar staff for the CC meeting signs, they do have already printed out in a free standing plastic stand.

we like the piano side, but sometime they prefer us to use the other side if they think a FOd meeting may take place.

Keithm.

we too are a gay couple (34 years this week (Gulp) ) I have alweays had a table of 8 and never had a problem, I can see why you might prefer a two however.

Cocktails etc are in the Commodore and I am sure if anyone wants tes/coffee it would there as well and as Captn says it is a better venue, however it maybe booked at that time on that day, the boardroom is a great alternative,bright,not bad views,private and right next to CC bar

I have had between 30 and 40 at a previous get together and no-one from Cunard came. Why you would particularly want tea and coffee in such a dingy room is a mystery to me. Chacun a son gout.

Hi

Now that I have been "bashed" by eveyone, I will reply.

Don't you think I had originally requested the Commodore Club? I have been on Cunard before and know the difference in the rooms. Perhaps there are other activities scheduled for the Commodore Club and that is why we were placed in ConneXions. However, a meet and greet in a dingy room is better than none at all. Cunard could have denied a request for any get together.

As someone else stated, they couldn't even get a place to meet let alone the offer of coffee/tea/orange juice. Cunard is just not the cruise line to really care about cruise critic, but we will make a go of it where ever we meet and will have a good time doing it.

Lorraine

Hi

Don't you think I had originally requested the Commodore Club? I have been on Cunard before and know the difference in the rooms. Perhaps there are other activities scheduled for the Commodore Club and that is why we were placed in ConneXions. However, a meet and greet in a dingy room is better than none at all. Cunard could have denied a request for any get together.

As someone else stated, they couldn't even get a place to meet let alone the offer of coffee/tea/orange juice. Cunard is just not the cruise line to really care about cruise critic, but we will make a go of it where ever we meet and will have a good time doing it.

Lorraine

I think that perhaps I have expressed myself poorly, simply put, I don't understand why you don't just hold the meeting wherever you wish without involving Cunard shoreside. There is no need to request a room, just go up to the Commodore Club and take a piece of it over. There are two sides to it and I doubt very much if the entire bar is going to be used by Cunard, if it is then there is the boardroom, if that is full, there is the Winter Garden. Connexions is such an awful place to hold anything except maybe a seance. At the end of the day you will hold it wherever you wish and that is naturally your decision. I am just offering you my view.

I think that perhaps I have expressed myself poorly, simply put, I don't understand why you don't just hold the meeting wherever you wish without involving Cunard shoreside. There is no need to request a room, just go up to the Commodore Club and take a piece of it over. There are two sides to it and I doubt very much if the entire bar is going to be used by Cunard, if it is then there is the boardroom, if that is full, there is the Winter Garden. Connexions is such an awful place to hold anything except maybe a seance. At the end of the day you will hold it wherever you wish and that is naturally your decision. I am just offering you my view.

Hi Lorraine,

Keep up the good work, it is greatly appreciated by other CC members what all M & G organisers do.

We just had a M & G for our xmas QM2 cruise in the wintergarden. We just rearranged the chairs and it worked out fine for about 20 people. One officer did show their face too. Maybe the Pursers desk will authorise the change for you if you feel the need for permission. Just leave a note on the door at connextions if you do change it. No one had drinks and we were there about an hour.

Have a great cruise:D

Julie

Hi Lorraine,

Keep up the good work, it is greatly appreciated by other CC members what all M & G organisers do.

We just had a M & G for our xmas QM2 cruise in the wintergarden. We just rearranged the chairs and it worked out fine for about 20 people. One officer did show their face too. Maybe the Pursers desk will authorise the change for you if you feel the need for permission. Just leave a note on the door at connextions if you do change it. No one had drinks and we were there about an hour.

Have a great cruise:D

Hi Julie

Thanks for your kind words, after all the time and effort I put into these meetings, it's nice to know that someone can appreciate it. I am detail oriented and have printed name tags, and reminders to place in each guests mail slot outside their door shortly after we board.

We could all possibly meet at ConneXions and if it is too dingy, always move ourselves up to the Wintergarden or Commodore Club.

Right now we are listening to the snow forecasts for our area and hopefully the storm does pass thru the N.Y. area Tuesday night/Wed morning, so that it will be clear sailing on Thursday!

Capnpugwash

Those of us from the Colonies, may not understand British English, and perhaps you think you expressed yourself poorly, but we are all entitled to our opinions.

The end result of all this, I will be enjoying 31 glorious days on the QV in nice warm climate.

Hi

Lorraine

I do I didnt bash you lol,

the winter garden is great, but do consider the boardroom as I said, deck 9 and next to the commodore club. we have used a few time, if you have more than 20 people though wintergarden is better.

i dont see that it matters where or when you have one, the main thing is to have a meeting.

I do have to say hopwever that while they really push the cruise critic thing, they will help, they do have signs if you ask and they will if they know about it early place a note in the newsletter and mention it on the morning TV show as well.

Captn next time your onboard please ask the bar staff for the CC meeting signs, they do have already printed out in a free standing plastic stand.

we like the piano side, but sometime they prefer us to use the other side if they think a FOd meeting may take place.

Keithm.

we too are a gay couple (34 years this week (Gulp) ) I have alweays had a table of 8 and never had a problem, I can see why you might prefer a two however.

Cocktails etc are in the Commodore and I am sure if anyone wants tes/coffee it would there as well and as Captn says it is a better venue, however it maybe booked at that time on that day, the boardroom is a great alternative,bright,not bad views,private and right next to CC bar

Wow! 34 years? We've only been together 16. Never really had issues, but we could tell it makes a few uncomfortable(not that we flaunt it). I did notice many more couples in the Grills. At least 8 in Q-Grill this Nov.27.

Wow! 34 years? We've only been together 16. Never really had issues, but we could tell it makes a few uncomfortable(not that we flaunt it). I did notice many more couples in the Grills. At least 8 in Q-Grill this Nov.27.

i know what you mean, we stopped taking the red feather boa,s that was a help:eek:

to be honest we just enjoy what happens, we alwasys dance together in G32 and so do many other couples.

16 years is great, i dont where 34 years went though

Car rental is a great alternative to tours for seeing the islands. Starts at around $50 a day. We pre booked online. Sometimes just a walk locally is good too, depends on your budget.

Julie

We rented cars the last cruise and really enjoyed visiting the sites at our own pace. While the buses were leaving, we were still there able to stay.

Archived