Sofitel or Hilton On Moorea

woodley

I have stayed at both and both have excellent over water bungalows. I think the snorkeling at the Sofitel is a little better.

Food and drink very expensive at both.

I would go with the best rate that includes breakfest.

Tough as many of us have only stayed at one. Before my recent cruise I scoured the boards and decided on the Hilton. Can't comment on what I may have missed by staying elsewhere but it is really tough to imagine any better snorkeling anywhere. This was world class. The entire lagoon is 4-5 feet deep, hundreds of fish, crystal clear water.

You can look for my lengthy report under the reviews for the Paul Gauguin

I guess it depends on how much you enjoy snorkeling. If that is a priority for you, then the Hilton wins hands down. We only went there on day pass from the Gauguin, but the afternoon was magical! As FlightMedic says, the lagoon is shallow, goes on with acres and acres of the clearest blue water with the most fantastic fish and other sea creatures. Relaxing under a tree on the very comfy lounges, eating a terrific lunch in the seaside restaurant - it was just fantastic.

In fact, when we do go back on the Gauguin (whenever that takes place) we have decided to take the short week cruise on the Gauguin, and spend 5-6 days at the Hilton. That is how much we want to experience that lagoon again.

bon voyage whatever you decide!

I guess it depends on how much you enjoy snorkeling. If that is a priority for you, then the Hilton wins hands down. We only went there on day pass from the Gauguin, but the afternoon was magical! As FlightMedic says, the lagoon is shallow, goes on with acres and acres of the clearest blue water with the most fantastic fish and other sea creatures. Relaxing under a tree on the very comfy lounges, eating a terrific lunch in the seaside restaurant - it was just fantastic.

In fact, when we do go back on the Gauguin (whenever that takes place) we have decided to take the short week cruise on the Gauguin, and spend 5-6 days at the Hilton. That is how much we want to experience that lagoon again.

How much is the day pass at the Hilton, and what did it include?

As I recall, the fee for the day pass is $70 pp. This includes use of the beach, chaises, pool, towels, and snorkel equipment (not sure of the snorkel gear - we had our own from the ship), and lunch.

As an alternative, you can go to the small Les Tipaniers hotel, which is also on a lovely beach, and use their beach to swim and snorkel. We did not use their towels or gear, and only used a lounge when a hotel guest left it free. We had lunch there and also went in the water, and there was no fee to be on their premises.

In both cases, you should ask politely at the desk for permission.

We stayed at the Hilton in an OWB in October and I can only describe it as paradise - I want to go back! Especially since we are under 2 ft of snow right now - The snorkelling was great and the water very clear.

I can't say it was good value for the money because it was very expensive - but it was worth it.

Tough as many of us have only stayed at one. Before my recent cruise I scoured the boards and decided on the Hilton. Can't comment on what I may have missed by staying elsewhere but it is really tough to imagine any better snorkeling anywhere. This was world class. The entire lagoon is 4-5 feet deep, hundreds of fish, crystal clear water.

You can look for my lengthy report under the reviews for the Paul Gauguin

Sofitel is just as good if not better. Sofitel is on a naturally beach where a lot of the Hilton is man made beach.

I have stayed at both hotels (Sofitel twice and Hilton once) and have been on three cruises in French Polynesia.

The Hilton is a little closer to other restaurants. I would stay at the one that offers the best deal on an overwater bungalow.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you get from the ship to the Hilton and back? Also, how much is the day pass and where do we get it? Thanks. PJCHILIS

The Moorea Hilton is located very close to where the PG usually docks in Openahu (?) Bay. There are always cabs around, or you can rent a car for 6 hours - cost is about $80/90. If you cab over, the hotel will call one for you when you are ready to leave.

To buy a day pass you simply go to the hotel lobby and speak to the manager. We had our own snorkel equipment, but I believe the day pass entitles you to get gear from their dive kiosk in the pool area. You can get towels, use the pool, and the price of the pass also includes lunch at their outdoor restaurant right there on the beach.

We had a wonderful afternoon.

• 3 weeks later...
Please help I just cannot make up my mind! Which do you think has the best overwater bungalows, best snorkling, best location, best food and best value for money.

Just look at this video http://hilton.virtual-moorealagoonresort.com/. It sold me on the Princess pre-cruise 4nt excursion (1 nt Tahiti + 3 nt in overwater bungalow on Moorea + all transfers and porterage for a highly discounted package.

• 2 months later...
I can't answer your questions, but if you don't get enough response here to your question, I would check out reviews on tripadvisor.com. Good luck!

I agree with this approach but treat it like figure skating: through out the high and low scores and read those in the middle. There are many people who seem determined to find fault with their own vacation and others who seem like they'd be happy anywhere.

As I recall, the fee for the day pass is $70 pp. This includes use of the beach, chaises, pool, towels, and snorkel equipment (not sure of the snorkel gear - we had our own from the ship), and lunch.

As an alternative, you can go to the small Les Tipaniers hotel, which is also on a lovely beach, and use their beach to swim and snorkel. We did not use their towels or gear, and only used a lounge when a hotel guest left it free. We had lunch there and also went in the water, and there was no fee to be on their premises.

In both cases, you should ask politely at the desk for permission.

That seems a really reasonable deal!

• 5 months later...

To buy a day pass you simply go to the hotel lobby and speak to the manager. We had our own snorkel equipment, but I believe the day pass entitles you to get gear from their dive kiosk in the pool area. You can get towels, use the pool, and the price of the pass also includes lunch at their outdoor restaurant right there on the beach.

We had a wonderful afternoon.

I've tried to contact the Hilton Moorea several times to ensure that they still offer the day pass and have yet to receive a reply to my e-mails. Can anyone confirm they still offer the pass? We'll be there in February 2012.

Thank you. :)

We stayed at the Hilton Moorea last October and loved it! The lagoon is beautiful - the pool is gorgeous - food is expensive but try to book it with breakfast included - and you don't have to pay for the highest end overwater bungalow because essentially they are almost the same and it doesn't matter where you are. Snorkelling was fabulous - fish everywhere and right off the end of the bungalow!

Archived