Shorts in the MDR

parentsof5

I personally am too worried about myself care about what other people wear. I personally do not wear shorts or jeans in the MDR, but it doesn't bother me when others do. I just expect others to wear clothes that are clean, and no wife beaters. I just hate them!

One thing that does bother me about the MDR is the one fork. Carnival used to use an entire place setting of silverware. Now they just give one fork and expect you to use the same one with each plate. I don't even do that at home. My server did give me a clean fork once I asked though. Maybe people would want to dress nicer if the atmosphere was nicer?

One thing that does bother me about the MDR is the one fork. Carnival used to use an entire place setting of silverware. Now they just give one fork and expect you to use the same one with each plate. I don't even do that at home. My server did give me a clean fork once I asked though. Maybe people would want to dress nicer if the atmosphere was nicer?

I've never had a problem getting another toothpick, uh fork. If your server doesn't bring you another, dropping it on the floor amongst the peanut shells and sawdust should help. :D

The "didn't know"? Really??? Have they been living under a rock???

And even if they 'didn't know' -- the rule should have been enforced. They can go eat at the buffet.

This is exactly wrong w/ our present culture. My husband is a retired teacher & I am a retired Guidance Co, and I am so sick of parents not holding their kids responsible for their behavior. And if the mom truly didn't know they had to bring pants ( I guess it's possible), then she should have accepted what the MD said & provided an EXAMPLE to her kids of TAKING RESPONSIBILITY for oneself.

How are our kids supposed to learn that behavior has consequences if we constantly try to wheedle our way out of them ourselves?

I never reply to these, but this concerned me. Someone married to a teacher and is a guidance co, you should know the impact of people judging you by the clothes you wear. After reading your post it reminded me of what kids go through in school, not fitting in. I prefer to judge people in the MDR by their kindness and smile. We prefer to dress up for the MDR, but it may not be for everyone, but they still deserve to have a nice dinner with linens and a wonderful attentive wait staff. Sorry to be so serious.

I never reply to these, but this concerned me. Someone married to a teacher and is a guidance co, you should know the impact of people judging you by the clothes you wear. After reading your post it reminded me of what kids go through in school, not fitting in. I prefer to judge people in the MDR by their kindness and smile. We prefer to dress up for the MDR, but it may not be for everyone, but they still deserve to have a nice dinner with linens and a wonderful attentive wait staff. Sorry to be so serious.

No need to apologize and thank you for a honest response.

There is no lack of a snarky responder or three who I prefer to think are ignorant of the damage they cause.

FYI....shorts are allowed in the dining room.

Hi Serena

I am aware that shorts are part of the dress code on Carnival - for those nights designated as casual. I would not complain if people adhere to that dress code on those nights. But I was responding to the question raised by Dee777: "I am not quite understanding why it makes any difference to anybody what other people wear?"

Why the attitude about other people's dress? How does it reduce the enjoyment of your meal?

It has nothing to do with what one is wearing, it has everything to do with a flagrant violation of the rules and then the bitching and moaning by the violators to get one's way, even though they are wrong. Stick with the rules and everyone is happy.

It has nothing to do with what one is wearing, it has everything to do with a flagrant violation of the rules and then the bitching and moaning by the violators to get one's way, even though they are wrong. Stick with the rules and everyone is happy.

Again, shorts are allowed in the dining room.

If we stuck with the rules we would still be paying taxes to England.

I am not quite understanding why it makes any difference to anybody what other people wear? ...

For some, it has to do with the entire experience. It's like the guy showing up at a black tie event in a polo shirt -- just stands out.

IMO, for many it has to do with "If I can't get away with it, why should they?". It's human nature to resent those who break the rules and get away with it. Look at any of the "Can I drop off my bags in the cabin" or "Taking food off the ship" threads, for example. People seem to gang up on those who break the rules, even when it does not directly affect them.

If we stuck with the rules we would still be paying taxes to England.

That being said, how far do you want totakethis. If everyone followed the rules and laws we wouldn't have drug dealers or murders.:eek::eek::eek: Like I have said we would all be better off if folks just followed the simple guidlines set by Carnival. We all know them going in and if you don't like them then maybe you should look into a different style vacation that allows for what you like to do or cruise with another line with different guidelines.

That being said, how far do you want totakethis. If everyone followed the rules and laws we wouldn't have drug dealers or murders.:eek::eek::eek: Like I have said we would all be better off if folks just followed the simple guidlines set by Carnival. We all know them going in and if you don't like them then maybe you should look into a different style vacation that allows for what you like to do or cruise with another line with different guidelines.

It is the fashion police who need to look for another cruise line if they are unhappy with Carnival.

Guidelines are just that - they are neither rules nor laws.

Really? All the bitching and moaning on here is coming from the posters that can't accept that Carnival has changed to a more casual dining and shorts are indeed allowed. Actually they are same ones that bitched and moaned before the new dress code......could it be they just like to bitch and moan;)

For some, it has to do with the entire experience. It's like the guy showing up at a black tie event in a polo shirt -- just stands out.

IMO, for many it has to do with "If I can't get away with it, why should they?". It's human nature to resent those who break the rules and get away with it. Look at any of the "Can I drop off my bags in the cabin" or "Taking food off the ship" threads, for example. People seem to gang up on those who break the rules, even when it does not directly affect them.

I agree! But when you carry it to the extent of constantly bitching about it....where I came from we call that childish:D

It is the fashion police who need to look for another cruise line if they are unhappy with Carnival.

I would expect nothing less. As society works today the ones that follow rules, guidlines, laws whatever you would like to classify them are told to get over the fact people don't want to nor have to follow guidelines and go somewhere else instead of the ones that are breaking rules, guidelines being asked to leave the dinning room. I know what the Carnival Guidelines are long shorts are allowed gym shorts are not collared shirts are, t-shirts are not. It is really difficult isn't it.

Although it pains me to agree with you, :p I do.

It is what it is.

CCL passengers are what they are, dress how they dress and there are no rules....just guidelines.

Even when there ARE rules (like chair hogging for example) CCL does NOT enforce them.

Staring down people with what you might consider unappropriate dress, isn't very constructive.

This is my take on CCL

CCL starts out a little wild and gets a 'party' reputation.

CCL tries to classy itself up and get rid of reputation...it gets a little bit classier for a short period.

The economy goes down the toilet....people don't have much $$ to spend, Airlines start charging for baggage. CCL gets new head honchos that make cutbacks and start marketing it's product so that most anyone who can afford a vacation will choose to cruise and the passenger demographic changes.

All this equals no more formal attire....and passengers who think 'nice jeans' are smart casual.

Fashion police are just screwed....and the product no longer is deserving of formality in any way shape or form anyhow.

As for the REALLY sloppy/wife-beater-wearing...there aren't many of them, thank goodness. Most people do make an effort.

I also try to tell myself when I see people who look really sloppy, that their luggage may not have made it off the plane or it may have gone into the bay when the ship was being loaded...you never know.

Bottom line is if seeing people dressed badly is offensive then CCL is not for you.

You should post this one on the butt cheeks thread :eek::eek::eek:

LMAO...:D

Although I do not understand how a naked statue has anything to do with dressing like a slob.

It's art for goodness sake...if it had a wife-beater on, then it would be worthy of discussion. :p

I agree! But when you carry it to the extent of constantly bitching about it....where I came from we call that childish

If you're really interested, go back to the main Carnival page, and click on the "number of posts" hyperlink of this thread, and you will see the most active posters on this thread.

Since there are a lot of opinions, I figured to post mine too:

The dress code in general has been affected by a lot of things. Over the past 15 years most companies have switched to business casual where many men may not even own a suit any longer. Airlines are charging for bags. Also, Carnival is typically the cheapest cruise line and some of their passengers are on Carnival because it is cheaper then the competition.

To address point 1 first, some men may not have dressy clothes that fit as nice as their dockers. When you don't wear a jacket and slacks daily you may gain or lose weight so the fit may not be great. You can't expect a person to actually go out and buy a suit just for a cruise. Trips are expensive enough already.

Now for the 2nd point. People try to pack light since they don't want to bring more than 1 suit case and pay airline baggage fees. An avg man packing 2 jackets can take up a lot of real estate in a suit case. Packing 5 pairs of pants takes up more real estate than shorts. If going dressy you may need to pack an extra pair of shoes. While Carnival does not limit you to 2 bags, the airlines are charging very high fees for a 2nd and 3rd suitcase. Yes, you can rent a tuxedo but for that cost you can bring another suitcase.

Now for the last point, everyone on a cruise is not in a professional career where they have nicer clothes. When you have a family booking a cruise on carnival because it is much cheaper than Disney, RCL, Norwegian, or others they may not be from a demographic that dresses nice.

There may also be an age thing too with dress code. My parents were not allowed to wear jeans to school when growing up while jeans was commonplace for me. The younger generation is used to not dressing up for anything besides a wedding or funeral. I have met college students today that don't even have a dress shirt or dockers on campus while I tend to wear dockers over jeans casually because I find them more comfortable.

So you know:

I personally wear khakis with a polo type shirt or short sleeve button down to dinner on cruises. For elegant night, I will have a jacket and tie with slacks.

Archived