Snorkelling in Sharm El Sheik

travelbugBOP

Hi there. We will be in Sharm El Sheik in April on Costa and are hoping that the ban on snorkelling has been lifted by then. Does anyone have any recommendations for areas where there is great snorkelling - and if so, the best way to get there (ie taxi). Thanks.

Sorry, don't have an answer but check out the Sharm El Sheikh forum on Tripadvisor, lots of discussion on snorkeling. We'll be spending a week there post-cruise in Nov, sounds like the Ras Mohammed trip is the one to do if you have enough time. Tons of tour operators in Sheik with many decent reviews. Which cruise are you doing? Hope you have a great time.

It can be a good idea to buy a day pass at a hotel in Sharm, which will give you access to their portion of beach, showers etc.

The trip to Ras Mohammed from outside the dock can be a bit stressful, as the company OH went with insisted on him hiring equipment from them, even though he had his own and had been snorkelling in the Red Sea for 2 weeks.

Sorry, I don't know the latest news about the sharks....the gossip was that it happened in the same place at the same time each day, so someone's been feeding them....that's gossip only, BTW.

Most of the hotels next to the beach are close to the reef...and it's strictly forbidden to walk across it, so there's long walkways out across the reef.

There's loads of taxis around, so you could ask for a hotel with a beach.

If you google hotels in Sharm, you can see the beach side ones. I think the next one we're staying in is the Interhotel....it's just round the north side of the cruise ship harbour.

Jo.

Thanks very much for this information Jocap and Carmelita. We're on the Costa Luminosa from Dubai to Savona departing on the 21st March. Getting excited now. I have also posted a question on trip advisor and have read reviews there but the info from Jocap is really useful. Thanks.

Thanks very much for this information Jocap and Carmelita. We're on the Costa Luminosa from Dubai to Savona departing on the 21st March. Getting excited now. I have also posted a question on trip advisor and have read reviews there but the info from Jocap is really useful. Thanks.

If you are able to secure a day pass at a hotel, I must recommend The Savoy. We spent three days at this hotel while touring Egypt the last two weeks of September, 2010. It is perhaps one of the most grand hotels we've ever experienced anywhere and the snorkeling right off their beach was great. They have a floating walkway that takes you out about 50 yards from shore and you just jump in. The Red Sea was like bath water in September!

Travelbug...there's been some new postings about snorkelling from the UK government....you'll find it on today's news page on this site. You can swim from a marked beach, but snorkel only with approved guides.

The Foreign Office also recommends taking a copy of your passport ashore, saying one must have photo evidence at all times, but that a photo copy is sufficient.

Jo.

Archived