Last Minute Belize City on NCL Sun with young kids - HELP!

mousecrazy

Hi.

I don't have much time, as I need to make a decision on this cruise (NCL Sun, Feb 5) quickly, and I know NOTHING about Belize.

Please tell me if my young kids (ages 4, 9 and 12) and I will find something to do. We can't do a lot of walking and we love the beach. We are looking for something 'classic' Belize. Any ideas?

TIA

Hi.

I don't have much time, as I need to make a decision on this cruise (NCL Sun, Feb 5) quickly, and I know NOTHING about Belize.

Please tell me if my young kids (ages 4, 9 and 12) and I will find something to do. We can't do a lot of walking and we love the beach. We are looking for something 'classic' Belize. Any ideas?

TIA

Well, I first suggest cave tubing, but the 4 year old may be too young, others can opine on that.

Then there's a Belize City tour with a trip to the zoo. It's like a game preserve where they rehabilatate native animals. Might be interesting for the younger ones. Also you'd visit the Cutural Center which has a lot of historical stuff.

Next you might consider a River Wallace/Altun Ha excursion which gives you a river boat ride and a visit to some Mayan ruins where you can still climb the temples. A bit of a walk from the lot to the ruins but not unmanageable.

You could also take an excursion to Bannister Island for the beach stuff, but be advised it's a small area and a lot of adults do this to party as there aren't that many beach party options for Belize City.

You'll notice that crewsweepers post above has you leaning towards doing an Excursion. And I do hope that is your plan. If he will agree with me or not I don't know...but here's my input. If your going to be with kids, DO AN EXCURSION!! I say this because the City of Belize is a DUMP!! When you tender in (you won't be docking there), the 1st place you hit is the pier. The pier area is set up like a flea market. Not very big, the "restaurant/bar" on the water at the pier has poor service and most of the items on the menu are not available anymore. There are people hanging over the walls of the "flea market" trying to get you to come outside to take one of their horse & buggy rides through their city which is a run down section of Belize. I didn't feel safe at the flea market and didn't even CONSIDER going outside the safety of the walls!! I have been there twice and it hasn't changed. I have read some posts of how people had good times when doing excursions. Cave tubing and organized excursions seem to be the way to go. Since I am not a fan of most excursions, I like to tour around the tourist areas & local city myself like I do in Cozumel, Bermuda and Costa Maya. My next time in Belize will leave me on the ship. For me, it's not even worth the ride on the tender to port. But again, that's ME!! :rolleyes:

You'll notice that crewsweepers post above has you leaning towards doing an Excursion. And I do hope that is your plan. If he will agree with me or not I don't know...but here's my input. If your going to be with kids, DO AN EXCURSION!! I say this because the City of Belize is a DUMP!! When you tender in (you won't be docking there), the 1st place you hit is the pier. The pier area is set up like a flea market. Not very big, the "restaurant/bar" on the water at the pier has poor service and most of the items on the menu are not available anymore. There are people hanging over the walls of the "flea market" trying to get you to come outside to take one of their horse & buggy rides through their city which is a run down section of Belize. I didn't feel safe at the flea market and didn't even CONSIDER going outside the safety of the walls!! I have been there twice and it hasn't changed. I have read some posts of how people had good times when doing excursions. Cave tubing and organized excursions seem to be the way to go. Since I am not a fan of most excursions, I like to tour around the tourist areas & local city myself like I do in Cozumel, Bermuda and Costa Maya. My next time in Belize will leave me on the ship. For me, it's not even worth the ride on the tender to port. But again, that's ME!! :rolleyes:

I didn't find the outside of the cruise terminal to be that much different than Costa Maya as far as the pushiness/aggressiveness of the vendors touting their tours/spots over the others. Only real difference to me is that in Costa Maya the prettier view distracts you a little from the vendors.

I did dislike the little bar/restaurant right at the tender pier (the one that is built out over the water). Didn't get any food there, but did get gouged, price-wise - paying $15 for a beer, a screwdriver, and a Sprite. It's the only place I went to all day that priced things in US dollars as opposed to Belize dollars, and they made no mention of such until after we'd had the drinks & went to pay.

Well timh111 and SeaPA1, seems like we're not fully aligned. I've had very nice walks outside of the Tourism Village. I don't find the TV/tender pier to be a flea market at all, just another port shopping area. You do have to tender in to the TV, most excursions pick you up inside there.

But for parents with young children, venturing outside the TV might be very intimidating, so I do think excursions are the better way to go. And you'll get a better feel of the countryside/topography of northeast Belize. Granted it is no Paris or even Costa Maya. But it's difficult by sea to get to the better beaches in the south and I'm not sure a cruise ship could even navigate up to San Pedro/Ambergris Caye or if the residents there would welcome the disruption such a stop would create to their little island life.

As far as getting rippe doff in the TV, there are some small restaurants scattered around the TV that I'm unfamiliar with, but I've never felt overcharged for Belikins and conch fitters or meat pies at the Wet Lizard, which is the upstairs place down by terminal 3.

So, back on topic, mousecrazy, go out to Coral Breeze's website and look at their tours, and find something your children will enjoy but won't take up all day and book it. They have a good rep. http://www.coralbreezetours.com/

Others on these boards may recommend other tour vendors so check them out as well. Cheaper than the cruise ship excursions. And don't panic, you've got a month.

I agree with crewsweeper. The cave tubing is best but the 4 YO is too young. We just got back and did Altun Ha via bus. It isn't too far and they allow you to climb up for the views. If you can keep the 4 YO away from the edge at the top it would be fun for all. We almost always book independenlty but did Altun Ha thru the ship at about what it would have cost to go independently.

On the way back we stopped at the Smokey Mermaid for our "free drink." It actually was a nice place with good food in a courtyard. It is a very short walk back to the TV.

There isn't much to walk around and see right around the TV area especially with a 4 YO.

Next you might consider a River Wallace/Altun Ha excursion which gives you a river boat ride and a visit to some Mayan ruins where you can still climb the temples. A bit of a walk from the lot to the ruins but not unmanageable.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and warnings. I like the idea of the Mayan ruins, especially since the kids will be missing a week of school.

I know a little OT, but maybe you all can help...we'll also be calling on Cozumel and Santo Tomas...which would be the best beach day. We are hoping for crystal clear, blue water and a sandy beach. TIA

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and warnings. I like the idea of the Mayan ruins, especially since the kids will be missing a week of school.

I know a little OT, but maybe you all can help...we'll also be calling on Cozumel and Santo Tomas...which would be the best beach day. We are hoping for crystal clear, blue water and a sandy beach. TIA

I'm not at all familiar with Santo Tomas, but for a nice beach day try Paradise Beach on Cozumel. It's a short taxi ride from the cruise terminals, nice sandy beach with shallow water entry, and "water toys" for the kids to play on & with. I think they also just put in a swimming pool if that's your cup of tea. There are usually several running threads about it on the Cozumel page in these forums.

I'll second PB for Cozumel, lots of water toys for the children to play on. Good margaritas for mama too.;)

Haven't been to Guatemala so can't comment on Santo Tomas except that I understand the people are very friendly and there's a waterfall there that's very nice. A lot of cruisers use their ship's excursion to Amitique Resort and enjoyed the stay. There's also a tour company called Happy Fish Travel that has good excursions. Go over to the Guatemala board here and search for some ideas there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=460

Archived