Venice private tour

Bounce

Venice is not really that big. Water bus or taxi provides good tour but no oration. Quite easy to walk around (can get lost a bit, no straight streets)

You might want to Google "Harry's Bar" an old hangout of Earnest Heming-

way and start there. Bar is at taxi stop. Imagine some folks will post with

name of local guide for you, sorry I have none. Consider pizza and tortollinis (sp) from trattoria (mom and pop, small eatery). Enjoy.......

all you need is a good tour book. Stop by a bookstore, browse thru the international travel section and find a book that appeals to you. On our first day we took the slow vaporeto down the Canal: our Rick Steves book had a section which identified the buildings along the route. I highly recommend his book. He has audio guides as well. But you certainly don't need a private guide for such a small place like Venice.

Lots of good info online as well. Try http://www.europeforvisitors.com/venice

You don't need a guide. Just wander around and hop on a water bus. You won't get an organised pub crawl, Italians aren't into that sort of thing. And don't be misled by the name Harry's Bar, you're not likely to get beer in there, it's a very expensive cocktail type bar and restaurant.

Just another point of view.

I've not been to Venice but have certainly read the advice that abounds about doing-it-yourself. However, for us, taking private guided tours works for us in this way. I'm a history buff, read all the time about this and that. My wife, on the other hand, while very interested, isn't much of a reader of history. She relates more to seeing and hearing about places at the time that she is there. So, using a guide that can relate the historical perspective of the place and time is an important ingredient to her getting the most out of a trip. We like the personalized aspect of private tours, don't much like being herded around with a group of strangers.

Anyway, we've got 3 days of tours planned for our pre-cruise in Venice with WalksinsideVenice for what it's worth. As I said before, I've not been on these tours so have no recommendation other than what I've found on various sites on the internet.

I'd read a good guide and walk. Venice is so easy to DIY.

The money saved can be used for a private gondola ride, well worth it IMHO.

Can anyone recommend a private tour guide in Venice. We are not so much interested in seeing museums and/or churches .... but would like a boat tour or pub crawl or back streets tour. Thank you.

Check out this place http://www.tours-venice-italy.com/wine-tasting-evening-venice-tour.shtml

They have a great wine tasting at a local restaurant that includes 5 glasses of wine and tappas. We are using them for a half day wine tour.

Take in mind if you email them this is their slow season so she may take a day or two to get back to you but she has always gotten back to me. I think their prices are great and they have several other tours which I think are good too.

Thank you to those who told me about private tours they have contacted. Looks great and I'm going to research. Anyone else have any experience with a private tour guide/boat tour?

Thank you also to those who expressed Venice is easy to do on your own. I will, no doubt, do a little of that - but would really like information from someone who might have used a tour guide/company they were happy with.

Dear Red 121,

Thank you for recommending Context Tours. I looked at their website and this is exactly the kind of information I hoped for. A wine-around with a professional sommelier sounds so perfect! Other tours offered also sound great.

Archived