Plan tweaked again...how about this?

cw2go

Alrighty I have researched tons! :D After days of reading,we have decided by omitting Crystal Caves we free up much needed time for touring.

Day 1

Ferry from Dockyard to St. George: Tour Unfinished Church, Fort St. Catherine and Tobacco Bay

Bus to Hamilton: Lunch @ Hog Penny, Tour Fort Hamilton and Bermuda Cathedral.

Bus to South Hampton: Relax at Horseshoe Bay for a few hours, walk to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, bus back to Dockyard.

Dinner on board then Snorkel Park or Festival if available.

Day 2

Boat rental w/Somerset Bridge Watersports

Lunch @ Frog & Onion or Bonefish or on board ship

Tour Maritime Museum,Clayworks,Craft Market, Rumcake Factory and Clocktower Mall.

My husband is going to work out all the logistics w/bus schedules. I am attempting to leave some free time with St.George and Hamiltion for touring options other than the priorities listed. Any other ideas are welcome. As for the second day we are departing 5pm so am keeping touring close by ship.

Now my question is, how easy and plentiful are the actual blue/pink bus stop poles? Are they easily found from our touring spots?

Thanks again for all your help, :p

Patty

Alrighty I have researched tons! :D After days of reading,we have decided by omitting Crystal Caves we free up much needed time for touring.

Day 1

Ferry from Dockyard to St. George: Tour Unfinished Church, Fort St. Catherine and Tobacco Bay

Bus to Hamilton: Lunch @ Hog Penny, Tour Fort Hamilton and Bermuda Cathedral.

Bus to South Hampton: Relax at Horseshoe Bay for a few hours, walk to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, bus back to Dockyard.

Dinner on board then Snorkel Park or Festival if available.

Get your best running shoes and prepare to shoot out the gates as early as possible. First ferry leaves at 9:15 and arrives at St. George at 9:50. Walk UP the hill to the unfinished church, take a quick look then continue up the hill, across the flat then down the hill to Tobacco Bay. After a short stop there, take the 5+minute walk over to Fort St. Catherine. Retrace your steps to get back down into St. George to get the bus at 11:45 or possibly a later one....they run about every 15 minutes.

Lunch at the Hog Penny, then head up to Church Street and tour the Cathedral before Fort Hamilton. Wait for bus to take you out as far as it can til you must get off then walk 10 minutes to Fort Hamilton. No idea how long lunch or any of your touring will take but it can't be much if you want to get to Horesehoe Bay for a few hours. I think we spent a couple of hours just at Fort Hamiton. Then it's back on down to wait for a bus to the South Shore and the ride there.

Day 2

Boat rental w/Somerset Bridge Watersports

Lunch @ Frog & Onion or Bonefish or on board ship

Tour Maritime Museum,Clayworks,Craft Market, Rumcake Factory and Clocktower Mall.

My husband is going to work out all the logistics w/bus schedules. I am attempting to leave some free time with St.George and Hamiltion for touring options other than the priorities listed. Any other ideas are welcome. As for the second day we are departing 5pm so am keeping touring close by ship.

Now my question is, how easy and plentiful are the actual blue/pink bus stop poles? Are they easily found from our touring spots?

Thanks again for all your help, :p

Patty

Day 2 is doable but day 1 is going to be tight, to say the least. Travel time plus any waits for trtansportation are going to eat up time. The pink and blue poles are skinny and sometime among tress or bushes but you will eventually find them. Pink to go toward Hamilton, blue heading away from Hamilton.

[/color][/size]

Get your best running shoes and prepare to shoot out the gates as early as possible. First ferry leaves at 9:15 and arrives at St. George at 9:50. Walk UP the hill to the unfinished church, take a quick look then continue up the hill, across the flat then down the hill to Tobacco Bay. After a short stop there, take the 5+minute walk over to Fort St. Catherine. Retrace your steps to get back down into St. George to get the bus at 11:45 or possibly a later one....they run about every 15 minutes.

Lunch at the Hog Penny, then head up to Church Street and tour the Cathedral before Fort Hamilton. Wait for bus to take you out as far as it can til you must get off then walk 10 minutes to Fort Hamilton. No idea how long lunch or any of your touring will take but it can't be much if you want to get to Horesehoe Bay for a few hours. I think we spent a couple of hours just at Fort Hamiton. Then it's back on down to wait for a bus to the South Shore and the ride there.

Day 2 is doable but day 1 is going to be tight, to say the least. Travel time plus any waits for trtansportation are going to eat up time. The pink and blue poles are skinny and sometime among tress or bushes but you will eventually find them. Pink to go toward Hamilton, blue heading away from Hamilton.

Thanks so much for your help, do you think it would be wiser to hire a taxi guide at $40 per hour for the first leg till we reach Hosreshoe Bay and then bus to Dockyard to make better time? I just am concerned with how long things will take but feel silly paying a driver to sit while we eat? We are not real history buff to be honest more so like the views and achitecture. As an example...in San Juan we were content with 30 mintutes at El Morro Fort.

Thank you,

Patty

Thanks so much for your help, do you think it would be wiser to hire a taxi guide at $40 per hour for the first leg till we reach Hosreshoe Bay and then bus to Dockyard to make better time? I just am concerned with how long things will take but feel silly paying a driver to sit while we eat? We are not real history buff to be honest more so like the views and achitecture. As an example...in San Juan we were content with 30 mintutes at El Morro Fort.

Thank you,

Patty

Not necessarily. Here's what I would do.;)

Take the first ferry to St. George. Get a cab to take you up to Tobacco Bay, it will cost about $6 plus tip. Snorkel for a bit if you so choose, then climb up the rocks around TB for glorious views in all directions. You could take a quick walk over to Fort St. Catherine and have a look around without touring the fort. Therre is beautiful scenery along the way. There is a wonderful route back to SG that takes you by the Town Cut where ships used to squeeeeeez through but that would take you too long.

Retrace your steps back to TB and walk back to SC stopping at the Unfinished Church along the way. There is really not much to see but it's a good photo op. When you arrive in Hamilton, the bus terminal is close to the Cathedral so go there first and then on to Fort Hamilton. I'm not really a history buff either but it's quite interesting to go through the tunnels, see the moat and walk around what feels like a jungle just minutes from the hustle and bustle of downtown Hamilton.

Another option is to stop at the Swizzle Inn for lunch on the way back to Hamilton rather than the Hog Penny.

Not necessarily. Here's what I would do.;)

Take the first ferry to St. George. Get a cab to take you up to Tobacco Bay, it will cost about $6 plus tip. Snorkel for a bit if you so choose, then climb up the rocks around TB for glorious views in all directions. You could take a quick walk over to Fort St. Catherine and have a look around without touring the fort. Therre is beautiful scenery along the way. There is a wonderful route back to SG that takes you by the Town Cut where ships used to squeeeeeez through but that would take you too long.

Retrace your steps back to TB and walk back to SC stopping at the Unfinished Church along the way. There is really not much to see but it's a good photo op. When you arrive in Hamilton, the bus terminal is close to the Cathedral so go there first and then on to Fort Hamilton. I'm not really a history buff either but it's quite interesting to go through the tunnels, see the moat and walk around what feels like a jungle just minutes from the hustle and bustle of downtown Hamilton.

Another option is to stop at the Swizzle Inn for lunch on the way back to Hamilton rather than the Hog Penny.

Awesome!!! Big hugs to you, what timeframe do you think after this plan I should be looking for the bus to Horseshoe Bay?

Also many point me towards Swizzle, is it something special? I have looked over the menus and Hog Penny seems more us???

Also after all this do you feel like it is still very rushed? We are considering cutting out St.George and going to Hamilton moving south? I want lots of activity but also like the flexibility of detouring if my son see's something of interest. I have read many post with needing more time in Bermuda and now I see why. One port and so many options it is hard to settle on just a few. Time to plan return trips before I even make my first... LOL!

Patty :)

Awesome!!! Big hugs to you, what timeframe do you think after this plan I should be looking for the bus to Horseshoe Bay?
Oh YIKES, it's really hard to say since you may have to adjust your plans along the way

Also many point me towards Swizzle, is it something special? I have looked over the menus and Hog Penny seems more us???

Some don't think the Swizzle is anything special, it's just one of those "Bermuda" things with the original Rum Swizzle and it was many trips before we ever got there. If the Hog Penny appeals to you more, go there.

Also after all this do you feel like it is still very rushed? We are considering cutting out St.George and going to Hamilton moving south? I want lots of activity but also like the flexibility of detouring if my son see's something of interest. I have read many post with needing more time in Bermuda and now I see why. One port and so many options it is hard to settle on just a few. Time to plan return trips before I even make my first... LOL!

Patty :)

Once again this is very personal but we love St. George and we would not miss going there. DH is not sure he even wants to go back to Bermuda now that we would not be docked RIGHT in SG.

I always think it's rather humorous that some seem to think they will be bored being in Bermuda more than one day. But then some like to be in a different port everyday and to each his own. Not me. On the Western Caribbean the cruise I just took in Dec. I felt like I was rushing around all the time and not really seeing anything. Which is something I think you need to do.......SLOWDOWN and enjoy fully whatever you do even if it means skipping something.

We always visit the Hog Penny when we're in Bermuda. It's a special place and the food is good. Swizzle Inn is fun to drop in and and have a rum punch or dark 'n stormy, but the food is just typical pub grub -- nothing special.

St. George is quaint and beautiful -- I'd want to allocate about two hours to seeing it on my first trip to Bermuda. Visit the Whitehorse Inn and have a drink out on their deck. The food is pretty good too.

I revised again...

How about this? :p

We are planning to catch first ferry to St. George.

Tour the area, Unfinished Church, Fort St. Catherines and Tobacco Bay approx. 11:30 1 1/2 hr

Bus to Hamilton lunch at Hog Penny approx 1pm 1 hr

Hop back on Bus to Horseshoe Bay then visit Gibbs Hill Lighthouse.

Catch bus again head back to Dockyard approx 4:30 3hr

After all the reading I am feeling like St. George is time better spent than Hamilton for us. So since we have to track that direction reguardless we will pit stop for lunch, look around quickly and move south.

Smiles,

patty

I've read your other post in re to actual docking time. I would assume the earliest ferry you could catch would be the 10am (2010 schedule) ferry which will put you in St George at about 10:45am. The bus ride from SG to Hamilton is about 50 minutes.

If you tour SG as you have listed, I would allocate 2.5-3.0 hours for the touring, at the minimum.

I don't see you in Hamilton until about 2:45pm; lunch at the Hog Penny ????.

30 minute bus ride to Gibbs; climb tower ????; 30 minute bus ride to the Dockyard.

I see you getting back to the Dockyard at about 6:00pm or later.

I'm sure other CC members will point out any problems in my thinking and offer suggestions.

I see you as a general planning a campaign, minute to minute; I say just relax and enjoy Bermuda. If you don't do everything you want, so what! It gives you a reason for another visit :D.

SBtS

Thanks to both of you, I am gonna just put this planning obsession down for a few weeks.

The major issue :eek: is that I want to have some beach time at Horseshoe Bay and trying to add a Fort and Lighthouse.

I guess at this point one has to be dropped either St George or Horseshoe Bay???? Hamilton seems easy enough either way to combine. Kings Wharf is planned for day two, since it is nearby the ship that keeps planning easy.

I will pick this up again later, I have plenty of time. It is cold here and I have a bit of cabin fever...LOL!! :p

Patty

Alrighty...I'm baaaaccckkk...:D

10am ferry over to St George , tour on my own for 2 hrs. at abouts 12:30 taxi to Horseshoe Bay, relax for a few hours, then climb Gibbs Hill light house and then take the 4:30 bus to Dockyard. (or taxi? see below)

Now my questions,

How much would the taxi cost from St George to Horseshow Bay?

How long of a ride is the transit?

How easy will it be to find a taxi in St George?

Would the Taxi driver if we opt to, come back to Gibbs Hill @ 4:30 approx. and drive us back to Dockyard? If so what would that cost be?

Super bunches of thanks, again,

Patty

cw2go asked:

How much would the taxi cost from St George to Horseshow Bay? my guesstimate - $60-$70 plus tip.

How long of a ride is the transit? 60-70 minutes by taxi

How easy will it be to find a taxi in St George? easy, they park at the town square

Would the Taxi driver if we opt to, come back to Gibbs Hill @ 4:30 approx. and drive us back to Dockyard? If so what would that cost be? I think it could be arranged; cost to the Dockyard about $30.00 plus tip

SBtS

Archived