Intercontinental San Juan help

MNFreeze

We are staying at the Intercontinental the night before our cruise. Can anyone reccomend some good either authentic or low cost restaurants with in walking distance?

Also is there a place close by to purchase wine before our cruise?

We are sailing with Celebrity and they allow you to bring two bottles on board.

Any other hints or tips would be great.

Thanks

MNFreeze

You will have a huge choice of authentic food to eat within a few blocks of the intercontinental.

The desk has a computer set up to show you all the different choices.

Our last trip we went to a great place that has wonderful paella. They also had great music to listen too!

Also, there are many restaurants on the property. The little beach bar has great sandwiches and such and they are so large that 2 people can split one and both will be full.

Enjoy your stay!

We will be there again in two days for a precruise stay!

We walked across the street and had breakfast at Mi Casita every morning. Good food, service and prices. There is a Pueblo Grocery store within walking distance, they can tell you at the hotel how to get there. We had dinner at Platos Restaurant, within walking distance to the Intercontinental, and it had local dishes on the menu (the dinner menu at Mi Casita was much more reasonable). Piu Bello is next door to Platos and it has yummy gelato. There is a bar on top of the El San Juan (has colored lights around it) with a BBQ restaurant. The food was okay but the view at sunset was the best!

There is a little shopping center with a little grocery for last-minute supplies. We typically get some beer and soda in there (I'm sure not paying $8.75 + tip for a Corona!). I know they do have rum, but I'm not sure on wine.

There is a large grocery a bit of a walk away probably the Pueblo).

We always go to the little home-style restaurant (which is probably the Mi Casita). There was also a really good little Chinese restaurant there as well.

Last time we were there, we ended up at the Subway the first night... our plane was really late, and we were lucky to get anything at midnight. (originally supposed to be a 4pm arrival :( )

We will be back at the Intercontinental at the end of February, and I can't wait... because we'll be getting on a cruise after two nights.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

Sounds like we will be trying out Mi Casita. It sounds great.

We will check out the little grocery story to see if they have wines. Since we are allowed to bring on two bottles per cabin and our group will have 4 cabins well be looking at getting 8 bottles of wine.

Now if air fare would just come down some....

The Pueblo grocery store has a fairly good selection. It is about six blocks away from the Intercontinental....very easy walking distance. It is just behind the Embassy Suites. I am not certain of the streets but....if you exit the IC, turn right (towards SJ). Cross the street. Take the first left (near the Ponderosa Restaurant), and walk down the street past the Verdanza Hotel. At the end of the street you will see the Embassy Suites. Bear left, go around the corner, and you will see the Pueblo store (the back of the store is actually visable to you as you walk down the street towards the Embassy Suites. Someone should check my walking directions just in case. In any event, the concierge will give you a map and good directions.

Sounds like you are on an X cruise. We were four people and EACH of us took 2 bottles in our carry on for a total of 4 bottles per stateroom. We had no issues whatsoever....

Iancal,

Thanks for the info it was great.

We were thinking about both my wife and I bringing two bottle in each of our carry ons. Plus we are going to try our first small attempt of sneaking on a little extra beverages.

Right now I just wish airfare would drop but I have a feeling we are just going to have to bit the bullet.

Iancal,

Right now I just wish airfare would drop but I have a feeling we are just going to have to bit the bullet.

Yeah it's expensive. I just wanted to point out to not forget to check Sun Country to MSP, it's nonstop. For us flying out of Minneapolis it was cheapest to do two one-ways, Delta there and SunCountry back and both are non stop which is nice.

You will have a huge choice of authentic food to eat within a few blocks of the intercontinental.

The desk has a computer set up to show you all the different choices.

Our last trip we went to a great place that has wonderful paella. They also had great music to listen too!

<snip>

Do you know the name of the restaurant that has the great Paella?

One of my favorites so would really appreciate the name of the restaurant.

Thanks.

Archived