I'm so disappointed :o(

Luluwa

like i said,insurance is a suckers bet lol.my daughter got sick before our cruise and we just called guest solution support,told them we didnt want to cancel but reschedule.and like that we were rebooked,they were great,just need to talk to the right person.call and ask the operator to tell guestsolutions your issue they can help.

sounds like don has a few bucks in insurance lol!!!

oh yea we go on our second rebooked cruise with no ins on 1/15/2011..

:p:p:p:p

I'm wondering if they allowed you to rebook, with a penalty, like losing your deposit, or half of the cruise rather than all of it. I know if you cancel within a certain amount of days, you either: lose your deposit but get your cruise fare back, lose deposit AND half the cruise fare, or lose everything, depending on how close you are to your cruise.

I was in the same situation as the OP almost a year ago (in a few days) needing emergency surgery (long story!) and had to cancel our cruise since we were told the situation/recovery/outcome was unknown at the time. We were about 45 days out from our cruise, so we only lost our deposit, but would've been nice to have gotten that back had we purchased insurance. We didn't however, so we sucked it up, just like everyone else. We thought of calling Carnival, but we knew the rules and regulations of the cancellation policy so we weren't even going to bother. Too much was goin on at the time.

Like another poster said, money and trips are replacable. People and loved one's are not. Therefore, enjoy the time you have with them, may they recover quickly and be on your way to the next cruise/trip. :)

FYI:

2, 3, 4 & 5 day cruises:

Up to 61 days = None(except Cruises to Nowhere and Early Saver Fares*)

60 to 46 days = Deposit**

45 to 30 days = Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

29 to 15 days = Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less = 100% of Total Fare

6 day or longer cruises (including Alaska and Hawaii)

Up to 76 days = None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

75 to 46 days = Deposit

45 to 30 days = Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

Europe cruises & Panama Canal cruises 7, 9, and 12 day

Up to 91 days =None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

90 to 56 days = Deposit

55 to 30 days = Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

All cruises purchased under the Pack & Go program

Any time after booking = 100% of Total Fare

*The deposit is non refundable

**For Cruises to Nowhere, the cancellation charge is 25% of Total Fare.

All of this was provided by carnival's website at this link.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

OP: I am so sorry to hear you're missing your cruise.

I've had a couple vacations rescheduled for similar reasons....didn't lose money, but when you are sooo looking forward to something like this, it's hard.

Here's to many future cruises and vacations together!

Peg

Yes that does stink. We booked ES last spring for Oct of 2010 and due to our car breaking down we couldn't go(we could but would have had no spending $ so no excursions...ect) but we luckily got the insurance so we were out $100 but got to rebook our cruise. WE actually booked the cruise out of NOLA so we saved $68...Always purchase insurance on ES!

I am soo sorry about your situation. Glad to hear family member is ok.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, family member (brother) is out of ICU and in a rehab center to gain strength and mobility back again. I haven't had the "courage" to even look at pricing on cruises - still heartbroken but glad my brother is doing well now. :)

An immediate family member had emergency surgery so we had to cancel our cruise. It was an Early Saver and since we were within 7 days of sailing.... we LOST ALL OUR MONEY!!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! :(

As an Accountant....let me add a "little" ray of sunshine (maybe)....

since your list says you have been on 20 or so cruises (and I am assuming that you did not purchase insurance for those as well) ...

then in a way you "self insured"...which means all the money you did NOT spend on insurance for those 20 cruises..... probably covered a good chunk of this one that you missed.

So in some "small" way...it wasn't a total loss???

Of course, the main thing is that your brother is doing well......

As an Accountant....let me add a "little" ray of sunshine (maybe)....

since your list says you have been on 20 or so cruises (and I am assuming that you did not purchase insurance for those as well) ...

then in a way you "self insured"...which means all the money you did NOT spend on insurance for those 20 cruises..... probably covered a good chunk of this one that you missed.

So in some "small" way...it wasn't a total loss???

Apparently, it wasn't a loss at all as the OP whined to Carnival and got a replacement cruise.

So, let's don't bother to get insurance, people.

Just call Carnival and tell them your sad story. It's cheaper, too.:mad:

My husband and I do not generally purchase insurance. I figure with the $$ we've saved over 16 cruises, I can afford to lose one. We did have a situation where hubby couldn't travel once, (work related) so a girlfriend went with me. I did buy insurance for our Galapagos trip because I was worried about costs associated with getting us home if one of us were to become ill or be injured. You just have to weigh the risk. Kudos to Carnival for the trip credit. If they were able to fill the cabin at the last minute, nobody lost.

Apparently, it wasn't a loss at all as the OP whined to Carnival and got a replacement cruise.

Just call Carnival and tell them your sad story. It's cheaper, too.:mad:

It wasn't the OP that whined to Carnival, it was others.

OP - truly sorry you were unable to cruise.

Wow, kindness. Please. You know you take a chance when you don't take insurance. For some it's worth it, others not. Another thought, if you are on Medicare you should check before you refuse insurance. You may have problems getting Medicare to pay. That's the main reason, other than older, not well, parents, that we opt for insurance every cruise.

Libtrek

An immediate family member had emergency surgery so we had to cancel our cruise. It was an Early Saver and since we were within 7 days of sailing.... we LOST ALL OUR MONEY!!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! :(

Glad to hear that your brother is doing well....

Things could have been a whole LOT worse... You could have been aboard the ship and gotten one of those $9.50/min satellite calls about the emergency. Not being with your brother would have been worse than losing the money....

It just kills me that some here are irritated because the OP received a future credit in spite of the fact that they didn't purchase the insurance. So what? Every situation is different, and apparently Carnival felt that this particular situation made it appropriate to issue a future credit. If you want a guarantee that you will be protected, then you buy insurance. If not, then you either suck it up or hope Carnival will be inclined to help you if something happens.

For those of you whining about buying insurance for no reason, did you experience what the OP did? Did someone close to you wind up in the ICU days before the cruise? Or is it just the principle, and you can't stand the idea that someone else got something you didn't? :confused:

Grow up.

You know, Carnival went well out of their way to help us out with a glitch on our upcoming cruise. Basically, they did something they didn't have to to make sure we were able to go. (Totally different situation than the OP, btw, has nothing to do with insurance/sick relative).

I purposely did not post it here on these boards due to the outcry I am sure it would have received. However, I will state now and forever state that Carnival customer service, specifically my PVP, went above and beyond what was expected to make sure we enjoy our vacation with them. Cannot sing their praises enough.

Why can't we focus on the POSITIVES of Carnival customer service at this point, instead of bickering over how unfair the situation is to the rest of us.

OP, I am so glad to hear your brother is doing well! I am sorry you missed your cruise, but like other poster noted, it's certainly worth a call to see if they can do anything for you. Best of luck.

My husband and I do not generally purchase insurance. I figure with the $$ we've saved over 16 cruises, I can afford to lose one. We did have a situation where hubby couldn't travel once, (work related) so a girlfriend went with me. I did buy insurance for our Galapagos trip because I was worried about costs associated with getting us home if one of us were to become ill or be injured. You just have to weigh the risk. Kudos to Carnival for the trip credit. If they were able to fill the cabin at the last minute, nobody lost.

You are correct.

That is what I call "self insuring". The money you have saved from the 16 other cruises....would probably cover the average cost of a Carnival cruise for two.

People who cruise a lot do this (just like big companies that self insure).....

[quote name='GlendaleCruiser']Apparently, it wasn't a loss at all as the OP whined to Carnival and got a replacement cruise.

Just call Carnival and tell them your sad story. It's cheaper, too.:mad:[/QUOTE]

Do you have to be so negative. I have not always but insurance. But have been lucky.

Looks like you are the whiner here.

[quote name='fdwt994']It just kills me that some here are irritated because the OP received a future credit in spite of the fact that they didn't purchase the insurance. So what? Every situation is different, and apparently Carnival felt that this particular situation made it appropriate to issue a future credit. If you want a guarantee that you will be protected, then you buy insurance. If not, then you either suck it up or hope Carnival will be inclined to help you if something happens.

For those of you whining about buying insurance for no reason, did you experience what the OP did? Did someone close to you wind up in the ICU days before the cruise? Or is it just the principle, and you can't stand the idea that someone else got something you didn't? :confused:

Grow up.[/QUOTE]

Why is one person's situation any better than somone elses who they may deny a future cruise for? Why should anyone purchase insurance? I do not like putting out money for insurance and it is irritating to read that people who are to cheap to put out for it expects the benefit for it.

[quote name='fdwt994']It just kills me that some here are irritated because the OP received a future credit in spite of the fact that they didn't purchase the insurance. [/quote]

The OP has not said she received a future cruise credit.

Oh man, I would be sick, too! I'm so sorry for you! I guess you just have to look at it as money already gone and don't let it consume you. Find something else that makes you very happy and focus on that, and soon the sting will be lessened!

[quote name='GlendaleCruiser'][B][U]Then why am I paying for insurance? [/U][/B] Why don't I just write to Carnival and get my cruise back without it? I sure have wasted a lot of money on insurance over the years.[/QUOTE]

Jeez folks, it wasn't a free cruise - just a discount - you don't even know how much. It was a nice gesture on Carnival's part - probably the same discount it would give any loyal customer if they had unforeseen circumstances and just asked.

A nice gesture - leave it at that.

Archived