Can onboard credit be used towards tips/gratuities?

kj_connections

Do you know that' date=' Shmoo, or are you guessing. My thinking is that it is a deal between Disney and Chase with benefits to both companies in attracting customers, etc. I know that there is a totally separate group of customer service people handling the Disney cards than the other Chase cards.

Frankly, I long ago changed from using my Disney Visa for everything to using a different Chase card that pays me the same amount in real cash, not "Disney Reward Dollars." It was just easier and got the same "deals." But I kept the Disney card for Disney vacations--made it easy to keep track of those expenses and picked up any extra perks being offered.

As you noted, I wouldn't be attracted to a TA who gave coupons for a photo or an adult beverage. I much prefer my situation of a TA who gives an "open" onboard credit that can be used for anything.[/quote']

OK, it may be an agreement between Disney and Chase, but ultimately, it's a Chase product, with their limitations set by what works for them. Even with a separate group of people only handling the Disney aspect of the card, I believe they are still Chase employees.

OK, it may be an agreement between Disney and Chase, but ultimately, it's a Chase product, with their limitations set by what works for them. Even with a separate group of people only handling the Disney aspect of the card, I believe they are still Chase employees.

True, the customer service people work for Chase but Disney set the standards for them (they are US based per Disney requirements). I don't know whether the $50 OBC comes from Disney or from Chase. The Disney Reward Dollars come from Chase, but can only be spent at something with the Disney name attached. The coupons that come in the mail for discounts at the Disney store, theatrical events, etc. come in a Chase mailing but are redeemed by Disney (Disney absorbs the cost when a coupon is used). My guess is that Disney is absorbing the cost ("loss") on the $50 OBC in a similar way.

The way I see it is that any OBC offered by a third party service has to be paid to Disney or taken from their commission for selling a vacation.

In the case of the Disney Chase credit card, there will be a deal that Chase only pay Disney a percentage of the dollar amount given, so for example maybe $0.80/$1 and Disney credit them $0.20/$1.

You get $100 OBC, Chase pay $80 and Disney pay $20.

Now it makes no sense what so ever for the bank to put restrictions on what that OBC is spent on at Disney, it just makes it less of a perk and less attractive to the customer and they do not benefit in any way.

It does make sense that Disney doesn't want you to use that Chase OBC for tips and grats. as they are subsidising a service they make no profit from.

They do however make a huge amount of profit on the sale of drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, and taking that $0.20c / $1 hit on a drink is a lot more palatable to them, but also encourages you to use up all of your OBC on a very profitable source of income.

I say it is Disney and not the bank calling the shots here, literally!

JMO

ex techie

In reality it's not "Disney" that's made the change - it the Chase bank people. Yes, it's the "'Disney Visa card", but the bank sets the rules for it's use. In order to encourage people to use it, they used to offer a small OBC if you used their card to purchase your cruise. Now, they specify that it can only be used for beverage (all beverages, not just alcoholic) purchases.

Many TAs also offer such limited type perks also. I know that if I used a TA that offered me a bottle of wine, or a photo package for using them, it wouldn't push me to use them.

Shmoo, that type of credit card is called a co-branded card. In this case operated by Chase per an agreement with Disney. The exact nature of the agreement is confidential, however typically the Disney side of the agreement decides what perks to offer

My best estimate is that Disney decided to cut hard money (actual defined tips ) wth soft money (bar prices at Disney retail). This results in a cost savings or increased profit for Disney, but with less flexibility for passengers who are now much more limited in how they can use the credit.

With so many other cruise options out there, I think that it is a bad corporate policy by Disney as I suspect that customers who use co branded cards know that there are other options in the cruising world

Edited by Rblum100

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused about the beverage credit.

We don't usually buy drinks, especially on Disney cruises where sodas are free. And, we never ever order a drink in the main theater - we're just don't drink much. In the end, how are they going to determine what you spent (say, for example) in the gift shop or spa vs on drinks? (And, in the gift shop you don't have to tip!)

Can this credit be used on special coffees? Again, I don't even drink coffee, but dh does.

And, where in the cruise booking, does the Visa "beverage" credit show up?

I'm confused about the beverage credit.

We don't usually buy drinks, especially on Disney cruises where sodas are free. And, we never ever order a drink in the main theater - we're just don't drink much. In the end, how are they going to determine what you spent (say, for example) in the gift shop or spa vs on drinks? (And, in the gift shop you don't have to tip!)

Can this credit be used on special coffees? Again, I don't even drink coffee, but dh does.

And, where in the cruise booking, does the Visa "beverage" credit show up?

Funny, I just answer this identical question over on another board. Is that you?

The Disney Visa credit does not show up on your reservation. It should be noted in your room when you board and on your TA's copy if you used one.

There is a code for any bar item. It's a category in DCL's billing and incurs a 15% automatic gratuity. My understanding is that the "beverage" credit can be used for any bar item. This includes specialty coffees and smoothies. NO personal experience with this.

Just wondering...

I have had a no-fee Disney Visa for a very long time - ever since Disney first offered Visa cards through Chase. I don't use it much, because the 1% back in Disney dollars isn't as good as the 1.5% cash back we get on our Capital One card. But I will use it for perks (like the free photo at the theme park) and discounts (like Disney packages or restaurant discounts) and occasionally OBC on DCL. Every so often Chase runs a promotion where they give us 5% rewards on gas and groceries, and then we use the card like crazy.

However I've been bombarded with offers to 'upgrade' to the 'other' Disney Visa that offers much better rewards... but also comes with an annual fee. There is no way I'm going to pay an annual fee for a credit card when I get the same 'benefits' on other cards for free. But I'm wondering if perhaps this restriction of the $50 OBC is to encourage people to 'upgrade' and get the annual fee Disney Visa, which comes with an unrestricted OBC?