From balcony to inside?

We booked balconies on our first two cruises, and decided to book an inside cabin on the following cruise. We loved the inside cabin as it was dark and quiet, and allowed us to get a good nights rest.

We spend very little time in the cabin, so for us the extra costs of a balcony wasn't worth it. Instead, we just use that money to take more vacations.

A balcony would be nice, but we've never had one. We're 20somethings so we have to go with the cheapest room just so we can cruise. But, spending as little time as possible in the room should help, and you could see if you could get a porthole room to at least have a window. I know it's not the same, but that window is kinda nice...

My husband and I had a balcony in November on the Brilliance in the Med - and it was wonderful. We leave Sunday on the Voyager and this time have an inside cabin. Thanks everyone for your encouraging words about an inside cabin - we have been somewhat concerned about it being so dark and feeling closed in. We especially liked the comments about being able to cruise more often by taking the less expensive cabin and using the different public deck areas as our balcony. I think we will have a wonderful time and will sleep well. If this works out well for us we just might take the transatlantic in May.

On a shorter sailing (say a 3 or 4 night) we will take a window cabin and usually have a balcony for longer sailings. We’ve never had a problem going back and forth.

I did have an inside once and really did not like it. It was more the size and layout rather than not being able to see outside.

If my choice is an inside cabin or no cruise at all, I would gladly take the inside .

Enjoy

M

We did get an inside cabin on a short 4 night cruise, it was so much cheaper, we couldn't pass it up.

Julia

We have never been in an inside room, but the good things I have read on CC convinced us to try one. We are taking advantage of a 2-night Celebrity cruise this weekend (for $79 pp) to try both Celebrity and an inside. If we enjoy it, I will be able to thank CC posters for teaching me about booking at the last minute, guarantee staterooms, and inside rooms.

I've traveled in all categories - inside, outside, balcony and suite. The cruise experience is different with whichever category we're in. When we're in an inside cabin, we spend a lot of time enjoying other areas of the ship. When we're in a balcony, we spend more time in the cabin. I travel with my mom and daughter and I think it's a different experience traveling with family in a cabin vs. traveling as a couple.

If it's just my daughter and I, we're fine in an inside cabin. It is so EASY to sleep in an inside. I never find it claustrophobic. There are plenty of spaces for all our things. And, would you believe it - the ports are exactly the SAME! :D

But when I add that third person - I want the balcony. A balcony gives you a place to be awake when everyone else is asleep. It makes the cabin feel bigger just because you can step outside for a bit if someone is tearing apart the cabin to find that bathing suit they misplaced.

I look at it this way - if the choice is to not go or to go on an inside, I'll pick an inside any day!

I can't/won't do inside. Had a balcony on my first cruise and now I am spoiled! DH has cruised inside before, and he won't do them again!!

Too bad... We won't be seeing you on the extra cruises we can take BECAUSE we book inside cabins.

We sailed on the Oasis of the Seas and took advantage of our Crown & Anchor Diamond discount and upgraded to a Balcony Stateroom. The ship is so INCREDIBLE, we were hardly IN our room! My hubby and I agree.... for US, we would DEFINETLY go on this floating city again but we'd get an Inside Stateroom and CHOOSE the location. We like being able to CHOOSE.

It's ALL GOOD! Enjoy!

We are in our late 20's with a 3 year old (he'll be 4 when we cruise) and our parents are still very active and sometimes get around better than us so I'm not worried about them too much. This will be both of their first cruises so want to give them a great experience but like some said, don't want to break the bank on this one and can't afford to go again for a while. We did spend quite a bit of time in our room last time and the balcony was just fabulous but with more family going I'm hoping to stay more active this time and enjoy more of the ship. Now just have to convince DW that it may be worth it to take the inside and save the dough. She was definately spoiled by the balcony and I don't even know if she'll take an inside. She may rather want to go in debt to have it. Thanks once again for the experiences.

Is your 4 year old going to be taking naps during the day when you cruise? If he needs a nap someone is going to have to sit in that inside room with him. JMHO but I would go for the cheapest balcony room I could find if I was traveling with a small child. At least you could go out and sit on your balcony while he sleeps.

Again just my opinion but something to consider.

He hasn't taken naps during the day since he was younger than 2 but if we get up early and go go go it may not be a bad idea. The silly thing is that our room choices are more limited with 3 in a room now also. We can't get a promenade room because they don't have those that will accommodate 3 people. We also have to get the E1 category balcony because the E2's don't accomodate 3 people. Little things like that are annoying and make me not want to give them the extra money for it.

I have a question for those of you who may have gone from a balcony room to an inside room. We enjoyed the balcony very much on our first cruise and as we plan our next cruise, we are going to take our parents with us. To be able to afford it we were thinking of getting inside rooms for everyone. This will be there first cruise but for us I don't know if I can handle going to an inside room after enjoying the balcony so much. Any thoughts?

We have never had a balcony, but have always been happy inside. We are in the room so seldom, for us its not worth the extra cost. There are so many areas outside the room to sit and relax. One other note, we have the room attendant move the beds apart. This gives us extra room in the center of the room.

Jan

I've done insides to junior suites. While a balcony is nice, we rarely use it if we have it or make a point to use it. I only get one if the price drops very low. I typically book inside or oceanview and then upgrade if prices are right. I'm not in the room long enough to worry about it. If I want the outdoors, up to the pool deck I go!

I rather save money, get an inside and use the savings towards other things.

One thing to consider is subjecting your parents to an inside since its their first cruise. If you don't mind for yourself, go for it but for them I would get them a balcony or at least an outside with a window. JMHO
You raise an excellent point!

Imagine if they should get sick and need to be quarantined in an inside cabin without a window and no fresh air at all. It happened to a young man who said he was miserable the entire time and would never book an inside cabin again.

Also, there are some people who are claustrophobic but don't realize it until they are confined to an inside room for any length of time. If that happens to be an inside cabin on a cruise ship, it can make the entire experience very unpleasant or even unbearable for them.

Claustrophobia and sea sickness was a concern simply because we could step outside if we felt weezy at all. I know I can't afford to get everybody a balcony so I don't feel right about just getting ourselves one. I may just be spending more time in the public areas than my room this time. Maybe it will be good for us. Get us out of the room more! Thanks for your replies.

cant you get a balcony for you guys and get an inside that is right across the hallway for your parents and share the balcony

cant you get a balcony for you guys and get an inside that is right across the hallway for your parents and share the balcony

We could do that but we would likely do it the other way around since we've done the balcony before and want them to enjoy for their first time. I can bet we end up getting both parties a balcony when it's all said and done. Just pray my wife lands this new job!

We've cruised every cabin catagory except a Royal Suite (will probably never have that opportunity :p). And we have enjoyed every cruise. You set your expectations to what you book. I love suites! ;) But I will not spend the money every cruise for one. And there are times that I am doing a "cheapie" quick getaway. For those occasions an inside works just fine.

So I wouldn't worry too terribly much about it. Go with what works best for your finances and the specific "occasion"...... :)

A trick I like to use when we have an inside cabin is to turn the TV to the webcam station and turn the sound off. When it is daylight, the webcam will be bright. When it is nighttime, the webcam is dark. It's the same as having a porthole window.

I don't think it's a big deal. Most don't do much in their rooms other than sleep, use the restroom and shower...

We had our first balcony on the Liberty in March and we didn't really find it to be worth the extra money. It was really nice - especially on sail aways if we weren't up top but we didn't use it much. We are doing a window cabin for our next trip - sunlight is important for us to have. If you could swing it, I would suggest doing an outside cabin w/ a window.

September will be our first sailing with RCI, twice with Carnival and stayed in the inside cabins. The best sleep I had, maybe it is the fact that it is dark. I am clausterphobic but did not feel locked in actually felt cozy. Since we spend most time outside of our room, we did not feel the need to get a balcony plus the money we saved allowed us to take other mini vacations. Take some night lights especially if your parents are elderly and may have to get up at night. I also set my phone to alarm in the mornings so I don't sleep the entire day, it is that dark.

Enjoy your trip!

Archived