I don't think I've seen this Kindle question

squidward

On land, I get the NY Times delivered daily to my Kindle via Whispernet. Will I be able to use the ship's wireless to download the Times while at sea?

Has anyone used the ship's wireless to get daily papers delivered to their device? How do you do it?

Thanks!:)

On our last cruise I could not get the whispernet to work at sea but when we got near land or in ports there was no problem at all. BTW< I have the original and it is wi-fi only I believe. Also, I was able to access email with no problem on the ship when in port and did not have to pay extra.

I'm just wondering, if I have a Wi-Fi enabled Kindle, and there is Wi-Fi on the ship, shouldn't I be able to get the paper and download books while at sea, as long as I'm connected to the ship's Wi-Fi network?

This is an important question, because if YES, then I plan to buy one of the new Wi-Fi enabled Kindles. Otherwise, I'll stick with my trusty "old" one.

Thanks again, everyone! (Well, almost everyone:rolleyes:)

I'm sure I know what channel Jeaflo watches. For his information the New York Times is the newspaper of record precisely because it's news articles are not biased. For fair and balanced he really ought to switch to the Times.

I'm sorry i really had to respond.

Back on topic, while I am sure you could download the paper I think it might be very costly at .65 a minute. The internet on ship is really slow- so slow that i can't bear to use it.

Back on topic, while I am sure you could download the paper I think it might be very costly at .65 a minute. The internet on ship is really slow- so slow that i can't bear to use it.

When you have a signal, it only takes a few seconds to download the entire newspaper on the Kindle. Once it downloads, you no longer need to be on line to read it. It's not like reading the paper on line. It downloads the paper like a book; and once it's there it's there and you can disconnect from the internet.

Even with a very weak signal, it never takes more than a couple of minutes.

The Kindle I own isn't Wi-Fi enabled, so I think I will go ahead and buy one of the newer models. Hopefully the ship's Wi-Fi signal will work and I'll be able to get the paper every day.

Can I just say I am REALLY looking forward to the possibility of my paper and a cup of coffee on the balcony on a sea day? Heaven!:D

I have a 3G/Wi-fi version. The wi-fi access on board is going to be blocked by the ship but the 3G should work ok in port (but there is no 3G at sea obviously)[/quote

Why can't you use the ship's Wi-fi with the Kindle? Can't you buy minutes and get a log-on password just like you do with a laptop?

There is an extra charge for newspaper service via whispernet out of the country. See the section called Whispernet Service Options and International Fees on this web page: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_T1_1-2?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200375890&qid=1295821608&sr=1-2

I think this must apply to service on the ship as well as I tried subscribing to a newspaper before our Med Cruise on the Century last September and didn't get delivery via 3g in Europe (on land) nor on the ship. (didn't pay the extra fee).

Archived