caye caulker for the day, must do's???

willowbilly

Thesplit is as good of beach as any. But there are beaches to the south of the village and at one time you could rent golf carts or bikes. Other than the little inns and condo places the village is mostly small shops, restaurant/bars.

Must dos other than beach would be go to the bakery and look at some of the art/crafts galleries. If Carlos still has his grill set up just before the split, that's be a great spot to grab a cheap lunch and sit outside and enjoy the scenery.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to Caye Caluker twice and that is enough. Have been to Belize about 6-7 times.

There are some good restaurants and interesting boutique shops on the Caye. The split was a big disappointment. No snorkeling off shore with the short time we were there. One big issue was timing. We saw folks who had come over in the AM on the port ferry and the last boats leaving were full. They actually had to leave passengers on the dock with no way back:eek:

We did rent a golf cart the first time which was fun.

Our tours have been with a well known company and would never take a chance with them again.

We will be there again in the Spring and will try to find something else to do. It is very poor, dogs in the street and not that great IMHO.

I read somewhere that there are always stingrays visible in the water at the split. Is that true? I'm coming with a couple kids who are too young to snorkel but was thinking about doing one of those stingray city type excursions with them anyway just so they could see the stingrays. Just being able to see some in the water at the split would suffice and be much cheaper to boot.

We went last March and did not see any stingrays. We did see a lot of starfish and my kids had fun looking for them, picking them, and playing in the water at the split. The split isn't much but then again, it usually doesn't take too much to entertain kids.

We rented a golf cart and rode around the island then had lunch (which was average). Caye Caulker is hard to explain. It isn't like anywhere I have been before. My husband did not like it at all. I enjoyed it but don't feel the need to go back. My kids thought it was fun, nothing great.

If you do rent a golf cart, make sure to bring your driver's license. We wanted to rent two golf carts but I didn't bring mine so we had to rent one big golf cart.

It is very poor, dogs in the street and not that great IMHO.

We LOVED Caye Caulker! It may have been poor, but we loved the simple laid-back feel, the people were friendly and charming, and the dogs were fun little tour companions. We spent quite some time shopping for crafts (Calvin the jewelry maker was a favorite), ate some great, simply prepared food and enjoed some delightful rum cocktails. The place is so tiny it's hard to miss anything. We plan to return to Belize for a 10-day vacation in the summer so we can spend some time in Placencia, Hopkins Village, Ambergris Caye, Corozal Town, and, of course, little Caye Caulker!

It is very poor, dogs in the street and not that great IMHO.

We LOVED Caye Caulker! It may have been poor, but we loved the simple laid-back feel, the people were friendly and charming, and the dogs were fun little tour companions. We spent quite some time shopping for crafts (Calvin the jewelry maker was a favorite), ate some great, simply prepared food and enjoed some delightful rum cocktails. The place is so tiny it's hard to miss anything. We plan to return to Belize for a 10-day vacation in the summer so we can spend some time in Placencia, Hopkins Village, Ambergris Caye, Corozal Town, and, of course, little Caye Caulker!

You used part of my quote but did not include the positive comments. If you use my quotes, please include a more accurate picture or do not quote sections for dissection. Thank you and enjoy Caye Caulker.

But, I do not consider dogs with ribs sticking out, many who just had puppies as "fun little tour companions". I have more respect for them than that. :(

Willowbilly, we had a really wonderful meal and a good time at Femi's and met some nice people there. The crafts and paintings at Cooper's Art Gallery were very good, in my opinion. The motto of the island is "Go Slow", and they mean it, so this place isn't for everyone, but we have very fond memories and look forward to our return.

Loucat, the dogs we saw were healthy looking. Of couse, no one likes to see starving animals. That was not my experience. The dogs we saw had names and seemed to be living well.

That is great to hear. Unfortunatley, we saw something else.

Thanks for sharing your good experience.

Archived