Holiday Inn PoM - short cab fare to port....

jarz85

Will the taxi drivers get angry if you only want to go to the port from this hotel? Its too far to walk, but only a 5 minute cab ride... should you just tell them upfront "ill pay you $20 to take us to the port?"

Lame question, but Id just like to know lol

Will the taxi drivers get angry if you only want to go to the port from this hotel? Its too far to walk, but only a 5 minute cab ride... should you just tell them upfront "ill pay you $20 to take us to the port?"

Lame question, but Id just like to know lol

Most do not take kindly to bargaining like they do in some ports and other countries.

But if im not mistaken thats what we paid with tip to get there. I cant member if we had him stop by the LQ store before. But it wasnt any more than $20.

I saw on another thread it only cost them $10 or so to go to the port from the hotel, Thats why I was saying "I'll pay you $20" because it's more than the trip + tip would be. I wasnt trying to short change them lol

I saw on another thread it only cost them $10 or so to go to the port from the hotel, Thats why I was saying "I'll pay you $20" because it's more than the trip + tip would be. I wasnt trying to short change them lol

That's how I understood your post and I don't think you would be wrong in offering it.

However, They know before pulling up to the hotel where you're most likely going. Think of it as this way. They might be getting short trip but they are also getting quicker turn around trips.

They take you to the port, pull around, pick someone up, take them to the hotel, pick up another fare back to the port and the world just keeps spinning.

That's how I understood your post and I don't think you would be wrong in offering it.

However, They know before pulling up to the hotel where you're most likely going. Think of it as this way. They might be getting short trip but they are also getting quicker turn around trips.

They take you to the port, pull around, pick someone up, take them to the hotel, pick up another fare back to the port and the world just keeps spinning.

I'm a taxi driver in Adelaide and a fare from the airport to the city is about $17 (only 5% of passengers give a tip) so a $20 fare is perfect for me. We will be heading to the port early (1030am ish) so the driver will have a decent shot at a return fare!

I understand your feelings and hesitation. I live downtown and on occasion we need a taxi for short trips including port of Miami where the fare is often less than $10. As of this writing I have only had one cab driver mutter something in Creole for a short trip...but aside from that he was courteous for the remainder of the 10 minute trip.

It is in your taxi cab bill of rights to be able to hire a taxi to "be transported without fear or refusal".

So don't feel bad about it, jump in the cab and tell him port of Miami, you are our most important guest....if he gives you any lip, write down his license # and whip out your cell phone, or better yet, jump out of the cab and get another one.....there are PLENTY of them waiting in line somewhere.

Yogi

Archived