Royal Caribbean Alaska with a 7 year old?

Red Hook Mom

We're first timers and traveling with daughters who are 7 and 27. We're inclined towards the Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas leaving from Vancouver in late June or early July. I haven't found much info on these boards about RCI and Alaska and kids--are there a fair amount of kids on these cruises? And I assume that there isn't swimming, but am I wrong?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

Did the southbound Seward to Vancouver last year early June, and there were some kids onboard. However, doing it late June or July there will be probably be more kids, since kids will be out of school. Also, the Radiance has an indoor solarium pool, which usually is adults only, but if the outdoor pool can't be used due to the weather, there are swim times for kids each day, but the kids are restricted to those hours.

I sailed to Alaska northbound on the Radiance in August, 2009. I had my kids, aged 4, 11 and 13 at the time. We had a blast.

The solarium pool was open daily for kids to swim in. They had specific hours, but the hours added up to about 6 hours a day and were at prime times.

The demographics on the cruise were a little different than on Caribbean cruises. There were few little kids and few young adults. There were plenty of kids in Adventure Ocean for my 4 year old and my 11 year old to play with.

You should be able to find my review around fall of 2009 in the review section, but I'd also be happy to answer any questions you may have about Radiance, Alaska and kids! We had a great time.

I would love to hear what excursions and activies you did with the kids. We are looking into taking our kids to Alaska and they are 5 and 7. I have barely scratched the surface as what to do in Alaska but the few things I have found do not sound very child friendly though I think I would enjoy them. Please share your thoughts! How was the weather at the time you went? Did the kids stay on the ship at any of the ports? If so, how did that go? What types of clothing did you take for yourself and the kids? Sorry, for all the questions, I don't know anything about this and really want to be prepared as much as I can. I have more...questions that is lol!

thanks in advance,

Rita

Alaska in the summer, there will be a ton of kids on all the larger ships.

Pick the cruiseline with the budget and schedule that gets you the scenic crusing you want. IMHO one way that gets Glacier Bay should be the priority. It can be chilly but the pools for some ships are covered and more than warm enough for swimming. Alaska cruise isn't a cruise where one lays out on their balcony or by the pool to work on their tan :D

As to excursions there are many that can satisfy any activity level. Hopefully the one's that peek your interest are ones around the beautiful scenery; whale watching, , dog sledding, helicopter flight seening, fishing are ones that my kids have enjoyed.

Good luck planning

On our Alaskan cruise, we went whale watching on a private tour in Juneau and sea kayaking on a private tour in Ketchikan (Southeast Sea Kayaks). These were the best excursions. We saw a humpback breach on the whale watch, right next to the boat. On the kayak trip, we were followed by a sea lion. Very cool.

I must say that I was a bit disappointed with the itinerary on the Radiance. The itinerary stated that the ship would be at Hubbard Glacier all morning, but in reality, it left by 8 a.m.:mad: Next time, I would probably choose a Princess cruisetour, even though they're more expensive.

Archived