Can you order bottle of booze for your cabin.

SeaYa52

Btw - I've also heard, from a captain at a Q&A session, that it has a lot to do with controlling underage drinking. If it's in the cabins, they don't have control of WHO is drinking.

Do you really expect the captain to say, "that rule is there so we can make more money"?

When they sell bottles of wine and individual drinks to be consumed in the room, it's hard to credibly say the rule against bottles of booze is there to prevent underage drinking.

Do you really expect the captain to say, "that rule is there so we can make more money"?

When they sell bottles of wine and individual drinks to be consumed in the room, it's hard to credibly say the rule against bottles of booze is there to prevent underage drinking.

The captain seemed to be giving pretty straight answers to the various questions, but I supposed he could have been a liar. I did not immediately make that assumption, though.

. . . .

I think they're a little more concerned about their own well-being. . . .

I realize that, hence the :rolleyes: face. Nevertheless,IMHO it is all about the money and nothing else. RCCL believes they will lose money if people are drinking in their room. The other cruise lines don't seem to find that to be the case and continue to offer the option of purchasing alcohol by the bottle to their passengers. Others actually allow a passenger to bring on board a bottle or 2 of wine. What a concept.;)

And if that isn't bad enough, RCCL will charge you a corkage fee for wine purchased through their own "Gifts and Gear" web page. You pay for the wine. It is in your stateroom upon arrival and when you take it to the MDR, odds are you will be hit with a fee. :eek:images%3Fq%3Ddollar%2Bsign%2Bimage&zoom=1&q=dollar+sign+image&usg=__LSvkDBHD7vlJGq68y7fbdocUCig=&sa=X&ei=mt4wTem3OJGasAPYh-C1BQ&ved=0CCEQ9QEwBQ

As someone mentioned, Holland American sells bottles for in room consumption...40 oz'ers. They do longer cruises where that would make sense and they charge a premium for it but the overall cost is much lower than ordering from room service or at a bar.

It was on the 7 day Western that I just got off of. It sounds like everyone offers it except RCCL, because they care about our safety.....(smile) Aw, shucks- thanks. They (Holland) also allows you to bring your own wine on but do charge a corkage fee of $18. I should shut up since I don't drink but seeing people buy into the brand on any cruise line acting like they really think the industry cares about you or anything other than the bottom line - making money. They are no more sued by a bottle of booze than a bottle of wine, period. Drunk is drunk in the courtroom. The cruise line never made you drink it. All boils down to personal responsibility & money.

Karen

Drunk is drunk in the courtroom. The cruise line never made you drink it. All boils down to personal responsibility & money.

I totally agree - it should be a matter of personal responsibility. However, some people in our lawsuit happy world seem to think that if something adverse happens, the next thing to do is figure out how it is someone's elses fault so you can sue them. I believe I remember that part of the lawsuit against RCI when that young man unfortunately fell overboard had to do with the fact that Royal somehow did not monitor his alcohol consumption. I seem to remember that his group had brought a bottle of someting onboard. It was after this that there was the real crackdown - no more buying bottles in the duty free store, no more bringing anything alcoholic onboard.

I was had a very heated discussion with another passenger as we boarded a tender in Labadee. He'd seen someone step aside by stepping on to the ice to let someone else into the lowest row before an ice show. That person fell on the ice. The passenger I was talking to thought that the man who fell should sue Royal because the access to the rink was open and there was no sign saying the ice was slippery. My reponse was the a grown man knows that ice is slippery and he chose to step out on it.

Of course, nowadays we have to be told that coffee is hot and not to stand on the top rung of a ladder for the very same reason. I do mourn the death of personal responsibility.

Archived