Elation Propulsion + 72$

rcrx

I think you nailed it. There was someone who posted to me that setting perfect expectations doesn't include a hard fall when it happens. This entire thread is a poster child for calling BS on that one. When someone sets an unrealistic expectation, the fall is going to be very, very hard indeed. Setting an expectation that you are guaranteed any port is asking for someone to pull the chair out from under the noose around your neck.

Let me ask you this. If you were not expecting 2000 people at your house, and 24 hours prior to their arrival you found out that they were coming, how quickly could you throw together a party? All cruise lines plan for their guests to be off the ship at certain times. When they cannot debark for whatever reason, the staff is forced to attempt to throw together a party on very short notice. I guess since I don't cruise to be entertained 24/7 I cannot wrap my mind around wanting to be entertained every waking minute (maybe in my 20s :rolleyes:). When we missed Calica 2 years ago I recall there being extra activities announced but it was along the lines of bingo or trivia. Carnival is not RCI, you can't go climb a wall when there "is nothing to do".

That is so odd that you keep saying that, since Linda (LHP) who was debarking the day you were embarking has already said that her cruise was fine, there were no engine problems at all and they sailed regular speed the entire cruise. Not to mention the report from the OP of the "lurch" and then slowing down of the ship a couple of days into the cruise.

I think it all goes back to the blame game. Having worked in medicine for a number of years, I can attest to the fact that "it just is" or "we don't know" is a completely unacceptable answer when someone gets sick (even though, occasionally, there is no real answer). I wonder how many people who were expecting the "truth" (you can't handle the truth, lol) would have been ok with, "Gee, mister, something broke, we don't know what it is, don't know when it might be fixed, or if you're going to live through this." Seriously. Sometimes the truth, "We just don't know..." can cause a bigger riot than just not telling piece parts of possible information.

To those who say they are never going to cruise Carnival again. I hope you never leave your house again. Because your car can break down, and if your expectation is that you were supposed to be at work, are you going to call Ford and demand restitution for your $25,000 purchase? After all, it was EXPECTED to run and get you to work, right? Are you going to immediately ditch your car and never drive a Ford again? Because Ford should have known your engine was going to go out and notified you way ahead of time, right? Maybe called you the night before so you could arrange for a taxi? I say that tongue in cheek, but the principle is the same......they developed engine trouble AFTER they left Mobile (it has been previously documented that the ship was fine when it arrived back at port the day of the "doomed" sailing). As I have been saying all along, stuff happening is called LIFE. If we go into "stuff" with a negative "somebody better answer for this right by God now" attitude, it is highly likely their outcome is going to be worse than the event itself. If, on the other hand, people learn to roll with the punches, life is much more enjoyable and the ride fun to be on. I'm glad I am not in the former mind set ;)

I will cruise Carnival again...just disappointed in this paticular cruise. My next cruise is #10 which is VIP....wouldnt miss that for anything

Seems to me that they DID make an announcement that letters would be sent out. I'm wondering if RN2BDFW were the only ones listening?????? Perhaps they waited until the very last minute to see if whatever was broke could be fixed before saying they could not make Calica instead of just promising Calica. You know what would have happened, right? They came out WAY early and said no Calica. People would have spent extra on Cozumel (also documented here), then get back on the ship, have them say that they could make Calica after all....you see where this is going....all hell breaks loose because folks have spent extra on Cozumel instead of being happy they could make Calica. This seems lose/lose to me.

my post says MAY EFFECT which means we are not sure but be aware that this may effect out next stop

Seems to me that they DID make an announcement that letters would be sent out. I'm wondering if RN2BDFW were the only ones listening?????? Perhaps they waited until the very last minute to see if whatever was broke could be fixed before saying they could not make Calica instead of just promising Calica. You know what would have happened, right? They came out WAY early and said no Calica. People would have spent extra on Cozumel (also documented here), then get back on the ship, have them say that they could make Calica after all....you see where this is going....all hell breaks loose because folks have spent extra on Cozumel instead of being happy they could make Calica. This seems lose/lose to me.

Had they made the better announcement though we could have made plans to go somewhere to get the mexico experience ie the beach even if it was raining.We didnt because we figured we would see it in Calica on our excursion. We also would have stayed out longer on port. Wewent back early so we could eat get to bed since we had ro get up early for calica. I would have rathered the honesty that we would probably not make it instead of letting us think all wass still good (which they did during the events the morning of our delayed Cozumel stop).

Plain and simple this was an all around bad experience! I understand things happen but make up for it in customer service! Treat your clients well give them good service, entertainment and food. And let them know what issues are occuring. I know alot of people who cruise Carnival all the time (my bosses are two of them and they love Carnival) but after my bad experience I cannot see spending money with them again (well my boss paid for this cruise so I only spent spending money) I will try again just with another cruise line. We did give extra gratuities over the $10 standard per person to those that deserved my assitant waiter Wilson and room steward cant remember his name). It may have just been this cruise, this staff, this ship, the weather but it doent change the way I feel - it could have been better it all the problems had compounded. I could deal with weather or the break down or both together but thats not the point - it the quality of service!

I beg you . . . please stop for just a moment, step back, and think about what you posted above. Exactly where in the cruise purchase process did the person in question (or anyone for that matter) agree to that???

You've done a simple cut & paste of information from the CCL web site, as you've done on numerous occasions and, yes, we've all seen that posted here on Cruise Critic in defense of the cruise line owing bupkis to passengers no matter what the challenge prior to boarding, or once onboard. But is that what you agree to when booking?? Is it??

Actually, in the online booking process with the CCL web site, you get to the information page that has a box to check which reads:

[ . ] . .I agree to the Terms & Conditions

Probably, a majority of the booking passengers click the box without ever reading any of the details.

But, if someone actually does click on the link to read the contact details offered, they will see this . . .

RESERVATIONS: TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Cancellation Policy:

Cancellation Policy for Bookings Made On or After 04/05/2010

Length of Cruise . .Days Prior to Sailing . .Departure Charge (Per Guest)

2, 3, 4, & 5 day cruises Up to 61 days None (except for Cruises to Nowhere and Early Saver Fares*) 60 to 46 daysDeposit ^ 45 to 30 days 50% of Total Fare 29 to 15 days 75% of Total Fare 14 days or less100% of Total Fare

6, 7 & 8 day cruises Up to 76 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)75 to 46 days Deposit 45 to 30 days 50% of Total Fare 29 to 15 days 75% of Total Fare 14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

Alaska Cruises, Cruise Tours and 10 day or longer cruises Up to 76 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*) 75 to 46 days Deposit 45 to 30 days 50% of Total Fare 29 to 15 days 75% of Total Fare 14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

7, 9 & 12 day Europe Cruises and Panama Canal Cruises Up to 91 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*) 90 to 56 days Deposit 55 to 30 days 50% of Total Fare 29 to 15 days 75% of Total Fare 14 days or less 100% of Total Fare All Cruises purchased under the Pack & Go program Any time after booking 100% of Total Fare

Total Fare is defined as Cruise Fare, Air Fare Supplement, Transfer Services and Pre-/Post-Cruise Vacation Packages.

*The deposit is non-refundable.

For Cruises to Nowhere, the cancellation charge is 25% of the total fare.

• Government fees/taxes are excluded from cancellation penalties.

• For special 3/4/5th guest rates, if the cancellation penalty exceeds the rate, the penalty will be equivalent to that rate. Reservations will be held until 30 minutes prior to departure without risk of automatic cancellation.

• No refunds will be made in the event of "no shows". We recommend the purchase of trip cancellation insurance.

Service Charge:

A $100 service charge will be assessed for issuing prepaid airline tickets. A $50 service charge will be assessed within 60 days of departure for the following:

a. any cruise or vacation package changes (per guest, per change), except for stateroom upgrades or the addition of services;

b. any change from Fly Aweigh to Cruise Only status and changes to Fly Aweigh cities (per guest, per change) and c. research and/or providing copies of airline tickets or other documentation subsequent to your cruise (per request, payable in advance).

Early Saver Fares:

Service Charge

A $50 service charge will be assessed per person for ship and/or sailing date changes made prior to the final payment due date.

Price Protection

In the event you find a lower rate, the difference in rate will be issued as an on-board credit. Offer is only applicable to customers who purchased Carnival’s Early Saver fares (cruise portion only). Requests will be accepted up to 2 days prior to sailing.

1. The lower rate must be a Carnival.com or Carnival advertised rate available to the general public and excludes group, membership programs, charter or other Travel Agent promotions not offered by Carnival to the general public, including but not limited to travel agent rebates.
  2. Lower rate must be: (i) for the same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests; (ii) be a Carnival advertised rate and (iii) be available for booking at the time the request is submitted, as determined by Carnival’s reservation agents.
  3. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.
  4. When submitting the claim, you must provide the lower rare amount and where the lower rate can be found.
  5. Claims will be processed within 2 business days.
  6. Verified rate difference is issued as an on-board credit. The on-board credit is non-transferable, non-refundable and has no cash value. Any unused portion of the onboard credit will be forfeited.

Conditions:

United States and Canadian guests need proof of citizenship (valid passport - or birth certificate - or - copy of a birth certificate with a raised seal - and - a picture I.D). Aliens need a valid passport and a valid U.S. Multiple Re-Entry Visa. Resident Aliens and Aliens must contact the appropriate consulate to inquire about necessary travel documentation. Note: For all Non-U.S. Citizens, please update the Immigration Information to indicate the correct citizenship.

Carnival Cruise Lines must be advised of any medical or special requirements of guests at the time of booking under Special Services Medical Advisory. A Reservation Agent from the Special Needs Desk will contact you for information.

Guests who are 24 weeks or more into their pregnancy on the date of embarkation will not be allowed to sail. Pregnant women less than 24 weeks must submit, prior to departure, a letter from her attending physician certifying the gestational period and that the expecting mother is fit to sail.

Air is on request for all Fly-Aweigh bookings made within seven days of sailing. The AirSea Department will call back and advise if air is not confirmed within 1 business day after the booking has been made definite with payment. Air is on request for all Fly-Aweigh bookings during Presidents Week - Easter - Thanksgiving - Christmas - New Years. The AirSea Department will call back and advise if air is not confirmed within 2 business days after the booking has been made definite with payment. Air may also be on request for other sailing's not listed above due to air availability restrictions. For these sailing's only, you will be notified by telephone that the air is on request. The AirSea Department will call back and advise if air is not confirmed within 2 business days after the booking had been made definite. Due to limited availability for peak travel dates, non-prime air schedules, charters and overnights may be assigned.

For specific needs, contact Carnival Cruise Lines Deviation Desk at 800 321-6666. Please review the Fly-Aweigh Conditions and restrictions section in the brochure.

Guests are required to be 21 years old to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent, relative or guardian 25 or older in either the same stateroom, staterooms side by side or directly facing each other across the hall. TBA cabins do not qualify

Exceptions to this policy are married minor couples providing proof; same sex union minor couples providing proof; and qualified military personnel providing proof.

Guests not conforming to this policy will be denied boarding and assessed a 100% cancellation penalty. No exceptions will be made at embarkation. Infants must be at least 6 months of age at the time of embarkation in order to sail. Infants must be at least 12 months of age at the time of embarkation to sail on all Transatlantic, Hawaii or South America cruises.

For bookings made with options of two days or less, payment (other than credit card payments) must be express mailed to Carnival.

Carnival reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom if a stateroom is booked with fewer than the maximum number of Guests the stateroom can accommodate; or when a partial guest cancellation occurs and the remaining number of Guests do not match the maximum number of guests the stateroom can accommodate.

That is 100% of what is offered online when booking. The Cancellation Policy chart doesn't duplicate well with my cut & paste, but I can offer that the information included does not match what you posted earlier.

What you posted is correct, and current (but from a separate info source). The information I provided that populates for people booking cruises even today is outdated, and missing some details . . . some of which have been missing for years, and CCL had been advised of that.

I would like to ask that you do a mock booking onlin right now, click on the provided legalese, and see if I'm correct in my comment(s) or not.

And, worse, if you book over the phone with credit card, how much of the above jargon is verbalized to you prior to the card being charged??

Thanks for any response.

Sorry I've not seen this sooner, Don. I don't have time to read every post in every thread that I visit.

Everything that you've stated above is, of course, correct. However, when the cruise documents are printed the following appears under 'Terms and Conditions'

'Your booking is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in Carnival's Cruise Ticket Contract. You can access the Cruise Ticket Contract at www.carnival.com It is important for you to read the Cruise Ticket Contract and become acquainted with it as it contains important limitations on the rights of guests to assert claims against Carnival Cruise Lines, the vessel, their agents, their employees and others including forum selections, arbitration, and waiver of jury trial for certain claims.'

Is it the most obvious placement of information? Nope. Is it accurate? Yep.

I agree that folks don't often apprise themselves of the information provided that that's a shame. An informed consumer is a wary consumer.

All I can offer is the facts, I can't change those.

Hope this helps.

I agree that folks don't often apprise themselves of the information provided that that's a shame. An informed consumer is a wary consumer.

Hope this helps.

Again, we end up at the bottom line.

Consumers need to be armed with all the information so that they can make an informed decision.

And Travel Agents or PVPs should make sure that consumers understand that ports are not guaranteed.

Never have been on mass market cruise line...this is nothing new.

Plain and simple this was an all around bad experience! I understand things happen but make up for it in customer service! Treat your clients well give them good service, entertainment and food. And let them know what issues are occuring. I know alot of people who cruise Carnival all the time (my bosses are two of them and they love Carnival) but after my bad experience I cannot see spending money with them again (well my boss paid for this cruise so I only spent spending money) I will try again just with another cruise line. We did give extra gratuities over the $10 standard per person to those that deserved my assitant waiter Wilson and room steward cant remember his name). It may have just been this cruise, this staff, this ship, the weather but it doent change the way I feel - it could have been better it all the problems had compounded. I could deal with weather or the break down or both together but thats not the point - it the quality of service!

Thank you for posting this...exactly how I feel

Hate to disappoint you... you can run, but you can't hide.

Your exact complaints are posted on EVERY mass market cruise line all the time....

it can happen on any Mass Market Line ...on any cruise.

There was someone who posted to me that setting perfect expectations doesn't include a hard fall when it happens. This entire thread is a poster child for calling BS on that one. When someone sets an unrealistic expectation, the fall is going to be very, very hard indeed. Setting an expectation that you are guaranteed any port is asking for someone to pull the chair out from under the noose around your neck.

That someone would be me and I stand behind my statement that you CAN have high standards (dare I say, one should actually?) and expect the best. I'll say it again, I've never had any hard falls when things don't go as planned - perhaps they have for you but me, no. I'm sorry that you feel the need to expect the worst of everything in life (because that is how you are coming off on this thread to me) but I refuse to.

Obviously we disagree on this point.

Pretty sure it is time for the mods to lock this sucker up since we are now on the rehashing part of a thread that will never have a right or wrong answer. People can disagree. No amount of arguing from each side will change that (despite what the other thinks).

Lock her up boys, lock her up!;)

That someone would be me and I stand behind my statement that you CAN have high standards (dare I say, one should actually?) and expect the best. I'll say it again, I've never had any hard falls when things don't go as planned - perhaps they have for you but me, no. I'm sorry that you feel the need to expect the worst of everything in life (because that is how you are coming off on this thread to me) but I refuse to.

Obviously we disagree on this point.

Pretty sure it is time for the mods to lock this sucker up since we are now on the rehashing part of a thread that will never have a right or wrong answer. People can disagree. No amount of arguing from each side will change that (despite what the other thinks).

Lock her up boys, lock her up!;)

No, I have never had a bad fall because I go into any and every situation without expectation. And my husband and I travel extensively and have had horror stories MUCH worse than (gasp) missing Calica. It just is what it is. You ever heard the saying, make plans, don't plan results? That's how I live. Seems to me if more folks could adopt that thinking pattern, there would be less strife in the world. And missing Calica, advised or not, would not be a thing.

No, I have never had a bad fall because I go into any and every situation without expectation. And my husband and I travel extensively and have had horror stories MUCH worse than (gasp) missing Calica. It just is what it is. You ever heard the saying, make plans, don't plan results? That's how I live. Seems to me if more folks could adopt that thinking pattern, there would be less strife in the world. And missing Calica, advised or not, would not be a thing.

Thanks again for the (unnecessary) pep talk. We disagree and it is OK, really!

I wish you happy sailing.

Question for everyone: whats the purpose of cruising if its not to see the ports and its not to have a great time, good food and be entertained? Just curious why someone would pick cruising over tavelling to a destination? .

kbalman,

I sure hope this wasn't a rhetorical question, because I am going to answer; The sole purpose is to relax and enjoy an experience at sea that is by it's very design DIFFERENT from going somewhere and checking into a hotel or even going camping and pitching a tent or setting up a camper. I have never boarded a ship with plans to use it for transportation. Considering a ship as transportation would be like saying my iPhone is a phone. My iPhone sucks as a phone, but it is invaluable for it's other uses. A ship is ploddingly slow and frequently we hear of them missing ports due to weather or other issues, but the cruise experience is not about getting there, it's about HOW we get there and what we do, feel, see, and experience along the way. It's safe to say that ships really suck as modes of transportation.

I have no desire to just get some place and see what's there; I've been there, done that, and bought the T shirts. The actual time spent getting there is more than just part of the cruise experience; it IS the cruise experience. I have cruised around hurricanes, through rough seas, and during times when others on board were mad about missing a port, and if I could book a cruise with the advance notice that it might be all bad weather, high seas, and missed ports, I'd still book it; In FACT, every cruise I've ever booked and taken was with that very thought and knowledge in mind.

I would suggest that if there are many people on a particular cruise who seem to be booked just to get to some particular destination, then why would they expect compensation and outlandish reimbursements when they don't make it? What if Carnival offered to launch the life boats for those who insisted on making it to their port and put them off the ship? Would that fit the notion of cruise ships are for transportation?

With all that being said, I will offer that I am annoyed to read about Carnival considering a test program where a scheduled port is skipped to see if they can save some money. The port in question is my favorite port; Half Moon Cay. If we miss HMC by design, then I'll be more than a little annoyed.... If we miss HMC due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances, then I'll book again hoping we make it there next time. If I ever read or suspect that Carnival is guilty of breaking their own propulsion systems to make more money on board, I'll invite you all to join me in a class action law suit. For those who are current on the news, we'll have Rolls Royce join us as plaintiffs. ;)

Sorry I've not seen this sooner, Don. I don't have time to read every post in every thread that I visit.

Everything that you've stated above is, of course, correct. However, when the cruise documents are printed the following appears under 'Terms and Conditions'

'Your booking is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in Carnival's Cruise Ticket Contract. You can access the Cruise Ticket Contract at www.carnival.com It is important for you to read the Cruise Ticket Contract and become acquainted with it as it contains important limitations on the rights of guests to assert claims against Carnival Cruise Lines, the vessel, their agents, their employees and others including forum selections, arbitration, and waiver of jury trial for certain claims.'

Hope this helps.

Actually it does help . . . a lot. :) I offer you a sincere (and I mean that) Thank You for taking the time to respond.

The information you (and others) repeatedly offer regarding cruise contracts with this line is accurate . . . and I hope multiple new, and repeat, passengers will read what you post. It can only help.

But I just hope you (and others) will discontinue the potential shaming of online members who say there were unaware of some of the 'rules' at the time they booked their sailing. Some of those rules/guidelines are not available immediately to them, unless they research through alternate venues. It is not all a part of the initial booking process.

Yes, the Full Monty of legalese is ripe for the pickin' when you print your cruise documents . . . which is available when? Right after you make final payment. I had this e-mail discussion with one of the Exec VPs in Miami, but it accomplished nothing. But that was back when I cared.

Again, a personal Thanks for the feedback reply.

Happy cruising to all. :)

kbalman,

I sure hope this wasn't a rhetorical question, because I am going to answer; The sole purpose is to relax and enjoy an experience at sea that is by it's very design DIFFERENT from going somewhere and checking into a hotel or even going camping and pitching a tent or setting up a camper. I have never boarded a ship with plans to use it for transportation. Considering a ship as transportation would be like saying my iPhone is a phone. My iPhone sucks as a phone, but it is invaluable for it's other uses. A ship is ploddingly slow and frequently we hear of them missing ports due to weather or other issues, but the cruise experience is not about getting there, it's about HOW we get there and what we do, feel, see, and experience along the way. It's safe to say that ships really suck as modes of transportation.

I have no desire to just get some place and see what's there; I've been there, done that, and bought the T shirts. The actual time spent getting there is more than just part of the cruise experience; it IS the cruise experience. I have cruised around hurricanes, through rough seas, and during times when others on board were mad about missing a port, and if I could book a cruise with the advance notice that it might be all bad weather, high seas, and missed ports, I'd still book it; In FACT, every cruise I've ever booked and taken was with that very thought and knowledge in mind.

I would suggest that if there are many people on a particular cruise who seem to be booked just to get to some particular destination, then why would they expect compensation and outlandish reimbursements when they don't make it? What if Carnival offered to launch the life boats for those who insisted on making it to their port and put them off the ship? Would that fit the notion of cruise ships are for transportation?

With all that being said, I will offer that I am annoyed to read about Carnival considering a test program where a scheduled port is skipped to see if they can save some money. The port in question is my favorite port; Half Moon Cay. If we miss HMC by design, then I'll be more than a little annoyed.... If we miss HMC due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances, then I'll book again hoping we make it there next time. If I ever read or suspect that Carnival is guilty of breaking their own propulsion systems to make more money on board, I'll invite you all to join me in a class action law suit. For those who are current on the news, we'll have Rolls Royce join us as plaintiffs. ;)

It's a wrap, boys. We've got a winner ;)

No one takes a cruise and uses the ship as transportation. If they do, they will find out, after trip #1, what a bad decision that was. I have never used a cruise as a means to an end. I sail for R&R. If I want to be assured (and even that is not guaranteed within a reasonable doubt) a certain destination, I fly there. As Linda has pointed out, the airlines contract is from point A to point B, no matter how long it takes them to get you there. At least with flying, I am guaranteed arrival at my destination. Cruising has never, nor should they, guarantee that. That is NOT what cruising is about.

Hope this helps.

Yes we are all aware carnival covers their butts and noone will get anything.....thanks

I swear you are like a broken record.....is there a way to block seeing your posts?

Yes, actually there is. Go into user cp panel and add the poster to ignore, and you will only see their posts if someone else quotes them. I think I put 3 on the list, but as I said it says you have this poster on ignore or some such, but if someone else quotes them you see the post or part they quoted.

Yes, actually there is. Go into user cp panel and add the poster to ignore, and you will only see their posts if someone else quotes them. I think I put 3 on the list, but as I said it says you have this poster on ignore or some such, but if someone else quotes them you see the post or part they quoted.

Hes a moderator so it wont let me

Actually it does help . . . a lot. :) I offer you a sincere (and I mean that) Thank You for taking the time to respond.

The information you (and others) repeatedly offer regarding cruise contracts with this line is accurate . . . and I hope multiple new, and repeat, passengers will read what you post. It can only help.

But I just hope you (and others) will discontinue the potential shaming of online members who say there were unaware of some of the 'rules' at the time they booked their sailing. Some of those rules/guidelines are not available immediately to them, unless they research through alternate venues. It is not all a part of the initial booking process.

Yes, the Full Monty of legalese is ripe for the pickin' when you print your cruise documents . . . which is available when? Right after you make final payment. I had this e-mail discussion with one of the Exec VPs in Miami, but it accomplished nothing. But that was back when I cared.

Again, a personal Thanks for the feedback reply.

Happy cruising to all. :)

Thanks again Don;)

It's a wrap, boys. We've got a winner ;)

No one takes a cruise and uses the ship as transportation. If they do, they will find out, after trip #1, what a bad decision that was. I have never used a cruise as a means to an end. I sail for R&R. If I want to be assured (and even that is not guaranteed within a reasonable doubt) a certain destination, I fly there. As Linda has pointed out, the airlines contract is from point A to point B, no matter how long it takes them to get you there. At least with flying, I am guaranteed arrival at my destination. Cruising has never, nor should they, guarantee that. That is NOT what cruising is about.

We cruise for ports so I guess we do use the ship for transportation.......we are Platinum with Carnival and have sailed several other lines also.....After trip #1 we were planning different ports......have never missed a port yet.......am I lucky? Maybe.....but we will always cruise for ports.......we have not made a bad decision yet:D

Mach, I'm wondering if you posted this to show how ridiculous Carnival is at it's reporting of the "facts", or if you posted it to show that the OP, who was there, is full of caca????????

I wouldn't ever answer for Mach...I'm sure he'll respond to you. However, this release by Carnival was accurate at the time it was issued. Conditions, further problems seemed to have changed the plans shown..

At sea, you are at the mercy of the weather, sea conditions and mechanical problems.....just like a car trip. You can have snow, icy roads and trouble with the car. This will slow your speed, change your plans, change your routing.

The cruise ships have no control over any of it.... providing they keep their vessels in good repair...which Carnival - and other reputable lines do.

Asea - or anywhere else....ship happens. I don't think the passengers would have been real pleased if Carnival headed straight back to port, cutting the length of the cruise and sending everyone home early.....

Yes..they didnt tell us till about 10am that we would be "porting" early afternoon. I know the times because I have my emails that I sent my excursion person in Cozumel informing him I would not make it. Around 9am they said we would be a late but didnt have a time..then at 10am they said early afternoon. It was close to 3pm before we could embark..I want to say we docked about 2pm ish.

They did'nt inform anyone of the Calica cancellation until sometime when we were in port.. we found out when we got back on. I had a pretty good idea when were taking so long to port in Cozumel that no way we would go to Calica. The speed we were going I knew it would take us over 2 days to get back!

They were just real "shady" with their information.

I'd be curious why you would think they were "shady" with information. Would it be more logical to wait until they had some real information about the problem? That can be checked while in port.

May I ask what was shady about anything here?

No one takes a cruise and uses the ship as transportation. If they do, they will find out, after trip #1, what a bad decision that was.

Vanessa, this is not to negate anything you or Paul mentioned in your well-worded posts, but there are "one off" exceptions, and I'd like to offer one:

Two of the most important people (to me) on this planet chose to leave their lives here in Florida, and move themselves back to their homeland of the United Kingdom. One-way airfare (with LOTS of luggage) was extreme, and airline regulations dictated their multiple animals could not be on the same flight. My suggestion to them (which they initially assumed a complete joke) was to consider taking a TransAtlantic cruise on Cunard. Once they noticed I wasn't joining in the laughter, they realized, "Oh, Good Heavens, he's serious!". :eek:

They hit one day of horrendous seas, and they both followed my advice about combatting that. They all got to the UK safely, and have both thanked me repeatedly for the suggestion. She was intested in the idea from the onset, and he was a total skeptic. The critters were visited daily, and that made all happy campers.

What does this have to do with the subject of this thread?? NOTHING. :)

But it does offer info on some who do use a cruise as means of transportation.

Yes we are all aware carnival covers their butts and noone will get anything.....thanks

ALL cruise lines, airlines, trains, many hotels have terms and conditions. ALL cruislines have almost exactly the same wording.

When you buy a new car, the warantee has terms and conditions, make a loan, buy a refrigerator, a Play Station, an insurance policy....ALL have them and it's ALL to the benefit of the seller...to absolve them of things that occur that are out of thier hands or simply happen.

As a consumer, it's up to us to read these terms and decide if we want to abide by them or not. If not, we don't book. If you book, you agree to them.

Caveat Emptor.

Vanessa, this is not to negate anything you or Paul mentioned in your well-worded posts, but there are "one off" exceptions, and I'd like to offer one:

Two of the most important people (to me) on this planet chose to leave their lives here in Florida, and move themselves back to their homeland of the United Kingdom. One-way airfare (with LOTS of luggage) was extreme, and airline regulations dictated their multiple animals could not be on the same flight. My suggestion to them (which they initially assumed a complete joke) was to consider taking a TransAtlantic cruise on Cunard. Once they noticed I wasn't joining in the laughter, they realized, "Oh, Good Heavens, he's serious!". :eek:

They hit one day of horrendous seas, and they both followed my advice about combatting that. They all got to the UK safely, and have both thanked me repeatedly for the suggestion. She was intested in the idea from the onset, and he was a total skeptic. The critters were visited daily, and that made all happy campers.

What does this have to do with the subject of this thread?? NOTHING. :)

But it does offer info on some who do use a cruise as means of transportation.

Exceptions always ;) Indeed, if someone was intent on going somewhere and staying (like the folks who are moving to Australia and taking the Spirit as a means to get there) a destination cruise is spot on (you can bet that trans-anythings are gonna get where they're going, kinda like the airlines, on time or not, lol) since they are one way cruises (usually). So, I will correct my statement and say that MOST people do not take cruises as a mode of transportation to get anywhere, rather, as a round trip sail from point A to point A. If it happens to stop in between, great. If not, well, that base is covered and we're back to home plate :D

Archived