St.Thomas:.>St.John Beach & Snorkel Tour?

Liesel

We will be on the Summit (Celebrity) in March.

I am looking at excursions for St.Thomas, St. John thru the cruise line. We would definitely like to go to St. John beach--Trunk Bay.

The "St. John Beach and Snorkel Tour" looks pretty good. My only problem is that every excursion I am looking at has the warning about cardiac conditions, etc. We are in our late 60is, but my husband is in great condition. I do exercise and are very slim, but I have heart disease and do not like to be in the heat for a long period of time.

I thought that I just would not have to do the snorkeling, just swim...??

Any suggestions on excursions to Trunk Bay, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

the snorkling at Trunk Bay is strenious there are no currents to fight you have a bouyancy vest and no fins you do get yelled at if you try to stand up Trunk Bay has an underwater nature trail with signs telling you what everything is there is alot of coral and you can't step on it there is alot of shade just off the beach and a consession with places to sit out of the sun PLUS it's beautiful

We will be on the Summit (Celebrity) in March.

I am looking at excursions for St.Thomas, St. John thru the cruise line. We would definitely like to go to St. John beach--Trunk Bay.

The "St. John Beach and Snorkel Tour" looks pretty good. My only problem is that every excursion I am looking at has the warning about cardiac conditions, etc. We are in our late 60is, but my husband is in great condition. I do exercise and are very slim, but I have heart disease and do not like to be in the heat for a long period of time.

I thought that I just would not have to do the snorkeling, just swim...??

Any suggestions on excursions to Trunk Bay, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

You do not have to snorkel if you do not want to. I enjoy snorkeling but DH enjoys the beach.

the snorkling at Trunk Bay is strenious there are no currents to fight you have a bouyancy vest and no fins you do get yelled at if you try to stand up Trunk Bay has an underwater nature trail with signs telling you what everything is there is alot of coral and you can't step on it there is alot of shade just off the beach and a consession with places to sit out of the sun PLUS it's beautiful

I think tomvk meant it is NOT strenuous. We are in your age bracket and have been there several times. It's a beautiful beach and as others have mentioned you can just swim or sun or sit in the shade if you choose. They do have a couple of people in small boats checking on the snorkelers. We enjoy it there and have always chosen to do the ship's tour, as it's a lot more convenient, although people mention it can be done on one's own. I think in this case the warnings are so the cruiseline can cover its a--. Just don't do more than you think you are capable of.

Go and enjoy. It's a very pleasant outing.

Thanks for your replies.

I think I will sign up for that excursion. DH will love the snorkeling. I go to the gym daily. So I am in pretty good shape, but got scared about the warnings the cruise posts due to my heart disease. Like you all said, I can just swim and sit in the shade, walk the beach, etc.

The picture you posted sure looks beautiful, Diane. Cannot wait to go.

Just an FYI - you take the ferry across to St. John, then a 20 min. bus ride (there are a few indoor seats, but most are in an open air jeep with bench seats), and then a short hike to the beach. You can rent chairs at the beach and it is lovely. My only concern would be the remoteness of St. John and the length of the journey. We literally had less than an hour at the beach before we had to head back. If your husband is a big snorkeler like us, I would suggest a boat out of St. Thomas. We were also disappointed by the reef at Trunk Bay. I had always wanted to see, but suspect the masses that have been introduced via cruise excursions have done a number on the reef.

We are also interested in doing the excursion to St. John, and while my DH and DS are strong swimmers and experienced snorkelers (is that a word?), I am not. My question is, can you rent a float and just use the mask and snorkle? That seems like it would be very relaxing and take away a lot of the stress for those who are not up to a lot of swimming.

Archived