POAm - January 22 - February 5, 2011

born2cruize

We docked early, about 7:30. While it's not raining on the ship this moment it is raining all around us. But I she blue sky toward Mauna Loa. Hopefully it's coming our way. First time in Hilo and it is raining (not first time IN Hilo). Looks like today is going to be a ship day. Don't know if I mention this earlier but the Cadilac (sp) Diner is now open 24/7.

Oops, it's raining on the ship now. Looks like the bulk of the rain is heading just north of us. And so is the blue sky. :( Unfortunately that was were we had planned to visit the Hawaiian Botanical Garden.

I have been looking at the Hawaiian Botanic gardens just last night!! It looks like a beautiful place and we are going to try and get there on our second day in Hilo. This will be on our drive north to Waipo Valley outlook.

I sure hope the weather clears and you will be able to have a nice day out.

I would appreciate any hints or tips you may have for B2B cruisers!

What a great thread OP. Thanks for thinking of all of us.

I am a huge karaoke fan & will be attending karaoke often. If you have a chance to talk to the KJ, please ask them if they allow us to use our own cd's, do they have a key changer in case we need the key dropped. If you attend karaoke, does it sound good and is it a popular event?

I've read that coffee makers are not in inside cabins anymore but they still have them in balcony cabins. Can you confirm that?

Thanks in advance!:)

Hello Born2cruise: DH and I are booked to do POA this Dec 2011. I'm just starting to look at excursions. Kind review/blogs like yours are soooo helpful.

Two Questions:

1. Food in Alohoa Cafe. We like a low-fat, low sodium (if possible) diet, but we do splurge when on vacation. How do you find the food there? Is crowds a problem? You mentioned non-hadicap folks attempting to hog seats, is that bc there are not enough seats???

Have you eaten in MDR? How was the food there. From what I read, food is not so good and service is slow. If that is the case, DH and I would have no prb eating in the Aloaha Cafe.

2. Smoking near cabins. We have an inside cabin. Have you been experiencing much smoke in the halls there? This will be our first time taking a 7-day cruise on a line that allows smoking in cabins. Wanted to see Hawaii, so NCL is the wa to go.

We are in our late 50s, in pretty good shape. We tire easily though. so chosing excursions will be a challenge. Thanks for your blog. If you could comment on the food as the days go on, that would be nice IMO.

Nice to read your threads from the ship - hope you're having a great cruise. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

I have a few.

What is the entertainment like on the ship? What are the bands like? (or is there more than one?) How is the piano bar?

Finally, I gather there isn't a formal night as such, but is there a night that is more dressy, and do we get lobster?

Have a great day tomorrow!!

Hello Born2cruise: *DH and I are booked to do POA this Dec 2011. *I'm just starting to look at excursions. *Kind review/blogs like yours are soooo helpful.

Two Questions: *

1. *Food in Aloha Cafe. *We like a low-fat' date=' low sodium (if possible) diet, but we do splurge when on vacation. *How do you find the food there? *Is crowds a problem? *You mentioned non-hadicap folks attempting to hog seats, is that bc there are not enough seats???*

Have you eaten in MDR? How was the food there. *From what I read, food is not so good and service is slow. If that is the case, DH and I would have no prb eating in the Aloha Cafe.

2. *Smoking near cabins. *We have an inside cabin. *Have you been experiencing much smoke in the halls there? *This will be our first time taking a 7-day cruise on a line that allows smoking in cabins. *Wanted to see Hawaii, so NCL is the wa to go.

We are in our late 50s, in pretty good shape. *We tire easily though. so chosing excursions will be a challenge. *Thanks for your blog. *If you could comment on the food as the days go on, that would be nice IMO.[/quote']

Crowds are a problem at the most popular times. Breakfast from about 7 - 8 are the biggest hassle. I'm not making to many friends because i remind them that these are HC seats. Saw a guy who in Maui was on a snorkling excursion and the next morning insisted that because he had back surgery was entitled to sit there and while i can understand not all people LOOK disabled this is a matter of conscience and some don't have a conscience. To keep this in reference we are talking about 6 tables with HC sleeves over the back seats out of a couple hundred, give me a break. Can't say about lunch as we haven't been there and when we have lunch I prefer Key West Bar & Grill. Also have not been there much for dinner. We only eat in Liberty MDR. Monday for dinner we had to wait about 15 minutes for seating. Food is so subjective, I like the food I choose, I think service is also subjective. We've had no problem with service. Dinner is running about 1 1/2 hours which is about standard in traditional dining. The difference I feel is in transitional dining you slack time is taken up with chit-chat.

Never had a problem with smokers, in fact my biggest complain was on Celebrity because smoking areas was very near the elevators. This was on the Summit in '04.

I have been looking at the Hawaiian Botanic gardens just last night!! It looks like a beautiful place and we are going to try and get there on our second day in Hilo. This will be on our drive north to Waipo Valley outlook.

I sure hope the weather clears and you will be able to have a nice day out.

I would appreciate any hints or tips you may have for B2B cruisers!

Weather did clear, we had a beautiful day at Hawaiian Botanical Gardens then drove to Akaka Falls.

After walking around the gardens, the trip to Akaka Falls was to much. Not designed for a stroke patient who walks with a cane. Anyone who says it's easy is lying. Not only is the path most of the time incline or decline but boy are there a lot of steps, makes the hike at Diamondhead look like a stroll.

Please give me some ideas what your looking for about b2b. The hardest part is getting you TA to book the same room. LOL.

Nice to read your threads from the ship - hope you're having a great cruise. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

I have a few.

What is the entertainment like on the ship? What are the bands like? (or is there more than one?) How is the piano bar?

Finally, I gather there isn't a formal night as such, but is there a night that is more dressy, and do we get lobster?

Have a great day tomorrow!!

The only entertainment we've seen has been at the pool. Have not made it to the shows although that was what we wanted to do during these cruises. Oh well there's always next week.

Lobster night is tonight. They do have a Dress Up Or Not night not sure when it was or is will check. Monday night was informal pictures night, last night was professional portrait night.

Thanks for the info regarding 3G. I'm in Canada so to avoid roaming charges I think I will have to find an ATT store in Hawaii and get a sim card. Is the 3G speed on the ship fairly quick? I know when I have used the Internet Cafe in the past the ships Internet is extremely slow.

Hope you are having a great time

Thanks for the info regarding 3G. I'm in Canada so to avoid roaming charges I think I will have to find an ATT store in Hawaii and get a sim card. Is the 3G speed on the ship fairly quick? I know when I have used the Internet Cafe in the past the ships Internet is extremely slow.

Hope you are having a great time

3G is releated to phone service provider - the ship uses wifi.

No, why pay a fortune when I'm on an unlimited plan via 3G. So far the only limiting feature of 3G and the ship is I have to be outdoors or near a window.

3G internet - so it doesn't matter what carrier you get data from as long as there is a 3G signal, you get unlimited data? How do you get this? I'm another Canadian looking for a way to purchase discounted internet rather than costly ship prices? Is this possible?

I've spoken with James from Ohio (Who has provided many helpful comments at CC) and while they don't have a ready list is going to try and get something for me.

I've also acquired most of the main dining room menus now I only need the specialty restaurants. I'll scan them when I get home and make PDF files for viewing.

I'm leaving on Feb. 9th, so if you get the officer list and menus before then, that would be great! I understand though, if you aren't able to do it very quickly after your return.

Today was Haleakala with Roberts. It was a large bus, so much for them using small buses/vans. Weather was great, crystal clear but terribly windy. Great views into the caldera.

Yesterday I noticed that all my photos have spots on them, apparently while changing lenses water got into my camera, ah the wonders of Photoshop. I guess once I get back the camera will have to go into the repair shop.

Forgot to mention yesterday was the Captains party, today is the Latitude party. Also they are setting up for the first picture taking event.

This thread is driven by your questions. It's going to be very short without your input of what you're interested in knowing.

Sorry to hear about the camera. More incentive for me to go out and buy a waterproof one!:) So, the Captain's party was Monday and the latitude party is Tuesday? Do you know what time? Did you go to them - how were they? It's my 1st time on NCL, but a fellow traveller is now a Latitude member.

Sorry to hear you've met some rude passengers who are not so accomodating of your needs. Since I travel with my mobility-challenged sister who has additional special needs, I truly understand. It's amazing how many people will charge in front of you for an elevator rather than allow you to push your wheelchair passenger into the elevator even if you were there first.:mad: Sometimes feel like I have to approach things as wheelchair derby.:rolleyes: Luckily, we have always had great crew and tour operators when we have used them who have made up for people like these. Some passengers too have been very understanding and helpful! Will probably have more questions later.

3G internet - so it doesn't matter what carrier you get data from as long as there is a 3G signal, you get unlimited data? How do you get this? I'm another Canadian looking for a way to purchase discounted internet rather than costly ship prices? Is this possible?

I'm leaving on Feb. 9th, so if you get the officer list and menus before then, that would be great! I understand though, if you aren't able to do it very quickly after your return.

Sorry to hear about the camera. More incentive for me to go out and buy a waterproof one!:) So, the Captain's party was Monday and the latitude party is Tuesday? Do you know what time? Did you go to them - how were they? It's my 1st time on NCL, but a fellow traveller is now a Latitude member.

Sorry to hear you've met some rude passengers who are not so accomodating of your needs. Since I travel with my mobility-challenged sister who has additional special needs, I truly understand. It's amazing how many people will charge in front of you for an elevator rather than allow you to push your wheelchair passenger into the elevator even if you were there first.:mad: Sometimes feel like I have to approach things as wheelchair derby.:rolleyes: Luckily, we have always had great crew and tour operators when we have used them who have made up for people like these. Some passengers too have been very understanding and helpful! Will probably have more questions later.

Most carriers have unlimited data plans right now. AT&T does not, but I'm grandfathered in because they tried to change it right after the iPad came out. As Canadians you'd have to get a plan that is good in the US.

James called me last night and said that someone was typing up a list and would be delivered to my room ASAP. Don't have it yet. They do have a board on Deck 5 with picture and names of the officers.

Captain's party was Sunday at 7 PM and the Latitude Party was Monday at 5 PM.

Trying to get some notes in before we leave. Tonight is Lobster. Had a great tour, Kona by land and sea. On the tender back sat with someone who also was on the tour and she asked me if I thought it was a rip off. Go figure. If you have asked a question and I haven't answered yet it's because I haven't an answer. Next two days we do not have anything going on but will be taking care of a couple of personal issues so also plan to get responses.

We just got into Kauai. 3.75 hours late. Have not been told much but it appears to be engine problem. However, they did give us our cards for next week.

We were traveling slowly this morning getting into port so whatever the issue it hasn't been fixed.

For those who plan on b2b. Here is POAms instruction. No need to pack between cruises if in same room. You must leave the ship with everyone else. Can not return before noon. Do not have to wait for deck to be cleared to before going back to your room.

Is Micah still bartending in the Lanai bar? If so, tell him Peter from the RSVP cruise says hi. :)

Finally got to the Aloha Lanai Bar. The bartender there said Micah was on vacation.

Forgot to mention earlier. For the first time in four cruises on POAm we pulled straight into the port (aft is facing the ocean).

Please keep us posted as to what the problem with POA's engines is. Those of us booked within the next few weeks are sure to be concerned! Now (living on the East coast), I'll have to worry about getting out from the snow, AND the ship operating normally!! Many thanks.

Thanks for letting us know when the Captains Party and the Latitudes Party are born2cruise!

Can you ask James when he will be leaving the ship? I was looking forward to meeting him in April but I think he's done with his contract before I get their.

You said it was windy on Haleakala, was it cold too?

Hope you are able to get your wife's glasses fixed and you are able to get your missing piece for your CPAP machine soon!

Thanks for letting us know when the Captains Party and the Latitudes Party are born2cruise!

Can you ask James when he will be leaving the ship? I was looking forward to meeting him in April but I think he's done with his contract before I get their.

You said it was windy on Haleakala, was it cold too?

Hope you are able to get your wife's glasses fixed and you are able to get your missing piece for your CPAP machine soon!

I think the last time I visited James's website he had the end of March or first week of April as his last date on this contract. I'll ask him tonight.

Haleakala is always cold, don't think it seldom gets above freezing. Be aware the only place you can get out of the cold is the Visitor's Information Center but it doesn't hold very many people. Probably holds about 1 of the large busses. But there were 3 large busses plus many cars. You can also get out of the wind in the bathrooms but not the cold. :)

No luck with the CPAP, as they need a script before they will sell anything. My wife on the other hand should get new glasses on Saturday. I'll continue to survive at 2 hours of sleep at a time.

Please keep us posted as to what the problem with POA's engines is. Those of us booked within the next few weeks are sure to be concerned! Now (living on the East coast), I'll have to worry about getting out from the snow, AND the ship operating normally!! Many thanks.

Should have an idea tomorrow as we won't have enough time to do the Na Pali Coast sail by in time if we leave at 2 PM. Kona to Nawilliwilli is the longest stretch on the cruise. So if that is the only time we will be late NCL may be willing as a trade off to canceling the cruise. But we'll see.

Most carriers have unlimited data plans right now. AT&T does not, but I'm grandfathered in because they tried to change it right after the iPad came out. As Canadians you'd have to get a plan that is good in the US.

James called me last night and said that someone was typing up a list and would be delivered to my room ASAP. Don't have it yet. They do have a board on Deck 5 with picture and names of the officers.

Captain's party was Sunday at 7 PM and the Latitude Party was Monday at 5 PM.

Don't know much about U.S. internet/data providers and don't know if I have time before our cruise to research it, so might just go with the ship's.

:(Awww... I'm going to be at Feast at Lele, and I imagine a lot of people will be at the Old Lahaina luau on Sunday during the Captain's party. I'm first time on NCL, so I'll end up missing the Latitude function as well. Did you attend either?

Say a big "hello" and "thanks" to James if he is able to get the list for you. Do you mind asking him if there are any special events going on during the upcoming Valentine's Day cruise?:)

Trying to get some notes in before we leave. Tonight is Lobster. Had a great tour, Kona by land and sea. On the tender back sat with someone who also was on the tour and she asked me if I thought it was a rip off. Go figure. If you have asked a question and I haven't answered yet it's because I haven't an answer. Next two days we do not have anything going on but will be taking care of a couple of personal issues so also plan to get responses.

Which restaurant did you try out for the lobster - regular or specialty? Can you re-confirm if the Culinary passport is still available? Have heard that it is no longer available. If not, what other wine specials or specialty restaurant/wine packages are available?

Glad you enjoyed the Kona tour. Having been on POA so many times, do you have any favourite islands or tours, tips or recommendations for us?

We just got into Kauai. 3.75 hours late. Have not been told much but it appears to be engine problem. However, they did give us our cards for next week.

We were traveling slowly this morning getting into port so whatever the issue it hasn't been fixed.

For those who plan on b2b. Here is POAms instruction. No need to pack between cruises if in same room. You must leave the ship with everyone else. Can not return before noon. Do not have to wait for deck to be cleared to before going back to your room.

Oh boy, that late!:eek: Will have to rethink that 9:30 helicopter tour I booked on the first day in Kauai.

Should have an idea tomorrow as we won't have enough time to do the Na Pali Coast sail by in time if we leave at 2 PM. Kona to Nawilliwilli is the longest stretch on the cruise. So if that is the only time we will be late NCL may be willing as a trade off to canceling the cruise. But we'll see.

Don't quite understand :confused: - why won't you have enough time to do the Napali coast sail-by if you leave at 2pm? Isn't this the time the ship always departs on the 2nd day in Kauai just for that sail-by or are you staying later on the 2nd day because of the late arrival on day 1?

born2cruize, thanks so much for the information you are sharing. My question is about the Robert's Tour you took. Can you tell me the places that the tour stopped and if it was a guided tour? I called and the person who took my call could not give me very much information about the tours. I was thinking abut booking tours for Kona and Kauai, but did not want it to be a drop you off and you are on your own. We can rent a car and do that. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Archived