POAm - January 22 - February 5, 2011

born2cruize

We leave on Saturday for two weeks on the Pride of America. This is our 4th and 5th cruise on POAm. Because we don’t have a heavy schedule of events planned, and the fact I hate reviews because they rely on personal preferences, I thought that I would run a blog from the ship and answer any question you may have about the ship and cruise.

I will be bringing my iPad 3G and each day will download you questions, then the next morning I will upload the answers if I can get an answer. If everything works out I also plan to upload my photos to Shutterfly (because there’s an APP for that) and provide a link. I should warn you in advance that some of the photos may not make any sense because they will be taken for the purposes of later building panoramas. (Thanks to the fact that I’m grandfathered into an unlimited data plan I don’t have to worry about upload/download limits).

After the cruise I’ll scan all the dailies and other handouts and put them onto my website as I have done in the past. I’m hoping to acquire menus from the restaurants for viewing as that seems to be a popular subject. I hope you will like the idea and post your questions. Thanks

Me too! Thanks!

Plus very interested in how the iPad works for you as we have been thinking of getting one instead of hauling around the laptop like we usually do

I use my iPad everywhere I go. The one thing that this trip will show me is if loading photos onto it and then uploading the photos to Shutterfly is as simple as it should be. I have the card adapter and my camera uses SD cards. This post is from my iPad.

We leave on Saturday for two weeks on the Pride of America. This is our 4th and 5th cruise on POAm. Because we don’t have a heavy schedule of events planned, and the fact I hate reviews because they rely on personal preferences, I thought that I would run a blog from the ship and answer any question you may have about the ship and cruise.

I will be bringing my iPad 3G and each day will download you questions, then the next morning I will upload the answers if I can get an answer. If everything works out I also plan to upload my photos to Shutterfly (because there’s an APP for that) and provide a link. I should warn you in advance that some of the photos may not make any sense because they will be taken for the purposes of later building panoramas. (Thanks to the fact that I’m grandfathered into an unlimited data plan I don’t have to worry about upload/download limits).

After the cruise I’ll scan all the dailies and other handouts and put them onto my website as I have done in the past. I’m hoping to acquire menus from the restaurants for viewing as that seems to be a popular subject. I hope you will like the idea and post your questions. Thanks

Bon Voyage, neighbor! Have a safe journey to Hawaii and enjoy your wonderful cruise(s)!!! We'll be looking forward to hearing all about your cruise(s) and adventures even though we still have almost 8 months to go.:)

It's sunset and the music is playing. Already have some issues with the room steward. And I have some other issues that are unrelated to the ship.

1. My wife lost one of the lenses for her glasses.

2. I use a CPAP machine and after 20 cruises I left an important part at home, so it is just a paperweight. But this will be a great cruise. After all I'm in Hawai'i.

While we were traveling on the POA in December, my sister-in-law told the bartender that she wanted a drink served in a pineapple. It was one of her three requirements for the trip. No problem, she got it, I had a sip, and it was really tasty. Sadly, we can't remember the name. I know there are probably a lot of things this could be, but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I at least have a place to start researching.

Thanks!

The drink you're looking for is called Kiri Loco. It is the drink of the day on embarkation day. It's made with pineapple juice, coconut cream (could be cream of coconut??) and dark rum.

It's available today from at least Key West Bar & Grill.

It's sunset and the music is playing. Already have some issues with the room steward. And I have some other issues that are unrelated to the ship.

1. My wife lost one of the lenses for her glasses.

2. I use a CPAP machine and after 20 cruises I left an important part at home, so it is just a paperweight. But this will be a great cruise. After all I'm in Hawai'i.

The drink you're looking for is called Kiri Loco. It is the drink of the day on embarkation day. It's made with pineapple juice, coconut cream (could be cream of coconut??) and dark rum.

It's available today from at least Key West Bar & Grill.

I hope you get your room steward "whipped into shape"!;)

It's very exciting to hear from you live on the ship. Sorry to hear about your wife's glasses - does she have a spare? Hope someone from home can courier you your CPAP part. How was your first day in Maui? Will you be posting your planned itinerary and what you actually did for the whole trip?

This is the link that will be used for my photos while on the cruise. Right now there are no photos or albums but will be added as the days pass.

http://borntocruisehawaii2011.shutterfly.com/

I had to laugh when I checked out to see if you had posted any pictures yet, I see I wasn't the only one as the count was at 45. Can't wait to see some!

I do hope your wife was able to get her glasses fixed! I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what gets in your way. :)

It's very exciting to hear from you live on the ship. Sorry to hear about your wife's glasses - does she have a spare? Hope someone from home can courier you your CPAP part. How was your first day in Maui? Will you be posting your planned itinerary and what you actually did for the whole trip?

Not only did both lenses come out, she lost one of them. She does have her sunglasses though. Today is Sunday, tomorrow we are doing Haleakala with Roberts so afterwards we will go to Lenscrafters at Queen Emma mall. Tomorrow I will call a local # that has CPAP supplies here in Maui.

I had to laugh when I checked out to see if you had posted any pictures yet, I see I wasn't the only one as the count was at 45. Can't wait to see some!

I do hope your wife was able to get her glasses fixed! I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what gets in your way. :)

Took some picture during our whale watching tour. Not as active as last February, can be seen at my actual website with the link in my signature. Most of what I took was with my new video HD camera. Don't know when those will get updated. Will upload today's stops sometime later today, interested to see how that goes.

Thanks born2cruize for bringing us along on your cruise! *Can't wait to see some pics.

See note above.

What type of cabin are you in? *I've heard they are incredibly small and have considered booking a suite to give us some more room.

For the first time we are in an inside cabin on Deck 10. We've had 2 balcony cabins and an ocean view in the past.

I hope you get your room steward "whipped into shape"!;)

It's a work in progress. Yesterday I had to go to the reception desk and ask for a Sharps container. Today I met our steward for the first time I reminded him of the request his response was it wasn't his responsibility. Strike Two.

Sorry I missed your second question. Asi mentioned earlier we don't have a lot scheduled. Today was Whale Watching. Tomorrow is Haleakala with Roberts. Hilo is renting a car and going back to Hawaiian Botanical Gardens and visit what we missed in 08. Kona is a Land and Sea tour and that's it for this week.

Between my previous post and this I upload 21 pictures from my camera to my iPad, then I uploaded them to shutterfly. The tricky part was adding them from my albums to the share site. I think they are there for viewing. Nothing of real interest but you can see that they will eventually be made into panoramas.

No rain today but this afternoon has been very windy. Suppose to be heavy rain in Hilo on Tuesday. In the Aloha Cafe they have made some of the tables for handicap people. I had to straighten a lot of people out asking them if they or their companions were handicapped. One guy even lied to me that his wife might be joining him and she was handicapped. Came back later and she was there. Yup, she was as fit as any other 40 something who was grossly overweight. (PS. BTW I feel I can make that comment because I'm a 60 something overweight, difference I an handicapped).

please post the names and titles of relevant officers/crew on POA. Thanks!:)

I've spoken with James from Ohio (Who has provided many helpful comments at CC) and while they don't have a ready list is going to try and get something for me.

I've also acquired most of the main dining room menus now I only need the specialty restaurants. I'll scan them when I get home and make PDF files for viewing.

Today was Haleakala with Roberts. It was a large bus, so much for them using small buses/vans. Weather was great, crystal clear but terribly windy. Great views into the caldera.

Yesterday I noticed that all my photos have spots on them, apparently while changing lenses water got into my camera, ah the wonders of Photoshop. I guess once I get back the camera will have to go into the repair shop.

Forgot to mention yesterday was the Captains party, today is the Latitude party. Also they are setting up for the first picture taking event.

This thread is driven by your questions. It's going to be very short without your input of what you're interested in knowing.

Archived